DvdFab not working with Vista

Well I just got a new laptop that has Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit. Well I have the latest version of DVDFAB that works perfectly fine on my desktop, but every time it starts the burn process Vista stops it. Dvdfab gets as far as copying the files into the temp folder, but when it comes to burning those files on the blank dvd Vista shuts it down.

Now I have read a few posts and yes I have tried to add it to the DEP list. And yes the box is checked. However, I still get the same problem…does anybody know of anything I can try? I did already try and re-install, but nothing different happens.

We have a dedicated DVDFab forum kraigballa, so I’m going to move your thread there. You should get more informed replies there.

I have even tried to roll back to an earlier version, but still I get the same result

Anyone have any ideas on what I can try to do?

[QUOTE=kraigballa;2301291]Anyone have any ideas on what I can try to do?[/QUOTE]

Right click on the DVDFab icon located on the desktop and select “Properties”, you will want to click on the “Compatibility” tab and at the very bottom place a check mark in the box next to “Run this program as an administrator”

I see what you are talking about, however, it is dimmed out so I cannot check the box.

[QUOTE=kraigballa;2301463]I see what you are talking about, however, it is dimmed out so I cannot check the box.[/QUOTE]

Do you have access to the compatibility wizard at all :confused:
can you right click on the DVDFab icon and select “Run this program as an administrator” ?

Yeah I can right click on the icon and there is an option that says Run as Administrator. However, I have tried that option.

The program runs well, and rediculously fast, and goes all the way to where it actually says the disc was created successfully and then a windows errors message comes up saying it was stopped. It has a bubble in the taskbar that says DEP shut it down and to click for more options. First I tried adding it as an exception in the DEP options but that did nothing. Then I looked up how to disable DEP and found the command line code “bcdedit.exe/set {current} nx AlwaysOff” which seems to work and the DEP menu is grayed out. But when I try to use DVDfab the same thing happens. How can it tell me DEP shut down the program if I disabled it? I’ve tried the typical update windows, run as administrator, turn off UAC, and run in xp compatibility and nothing works. Any ideas? Ugh, vista is so annoying. I even tried installing a new version…shoot I installed on another drive too. I even tried to not install the ISO engine.

I even went to this site and tried everything on it
"http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_data_execution_prevention_block_windows_live_messenger"

Something is wrong…and I am sure someone has found the solution…any help would be much appreciated

[QUOTE=kraigballa;2301491]The program runs well, and rediculously fast, and goes all the way to where it actually says the disc was created successfully and then a windows errors message comes up saying it was stopped. It has a bubble in the taskbar that says DEP shut it down and to click for more options. First I tried adding it as an exception in the DEP options but that did nothing. Then I looked up how to disable DEP and found the command line code “bcdedit.exe/set {current} nx AlwaysOff” which seems to work and the DEP menu is grayed out. But when I try to use DVDfab the same thing happens. How can it tell me DEP shut down the program if I disabled it? I’ve tried the typical update windows, run as administrator, turn off UAC, and run in xp compatibility and nothing works. Any ideas? Ugh, vista is so annoying. I even tried installing a new version…shoot I installed on another drive too. I even tried to not install the ISO engine.

I even went to this site and tried everything on it
"http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_data_execution_prevention_block_windows_live_messenger"

Something is wrong…and I am sure someone has found the solution…any help would be much appreciated[/QUOTE]
With Vista Home Premium don’t think you are able to disable DEP because your account is limited even as administrator/owner however instead of disabling DEP re-inable it however you tried disabling it and, open the DEP settings and place a tick mark next to “Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select” and make sure that DVDFab is in the list and with a check mark next to it :slight_smile:

@ StormJumper;Just thought I would let you know you can disable DEP in Vista Home Premium or at least it worked for me.As we have discussed before I have tweaked mt VHP in other ways so that could be why it worked.

@kraigballa;My VHP is 32 bit so that could make a difference .This is the correct method & command:
Use your Start/Programs/Acessories/Command Prompt right click on it & select Run as administrator.
From administrator command prompt:
I cd\ mine to C:>

bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOff

Just copy & paste the above command line.

I looked at the command line you used :

bcdedit.exe/set {current} nx AlwaysOff
I guess the {current} might be for current user.If you have more than one user on your laptop that might be necessary.If the disable works with it.
Also in the command I use there is a space between bcdedit & /set & no .exe
This is an image of what the DEP should now look like.

Yes your command that you used is a little bit different, but my DEP is shaded out just like how your image displays. Just for shits and giggles I tried it with your command and it still does the same thing. I am on 64 bit so maybe DvdFab just can’t run on Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit…clean boot and safe mode also do not work.

I would like to add something to this also —
I have Vista Home Basic on a new computer & DVDFab worked fine until I downloaded the last update (6.0.2.2) now it just pops upm a box that saysm it has a problem and stopped working. I can’t get it to do anything now! Does anyone else have this problem or can you tell me what it’s doing?

Thanks
ArkyHummer

Yeah heard of that problem while I was trying to find an answer to mine. For now just roll back to your previous version. I re-installed an older version but I still get the same error even though DEP is disabled.

Then I would say DEP should be off.I don’t know why your still getting the error.
I guess you could try renabling DEP with this command:

bcdedit /set nx AlwaysOn

Then follow StormJumper’s instructions in post #10.

After re-enabling DEP you might leave it on & try this command:
bcdedit /set nx optout

Ya guys nothing is working…I just tried what cholla said, and still I get the error.

I just talked to HP and they are telling me that the issue is DVDFAB. He is telling me that the software is not compatible with my version of Windows Vista, which is Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

Any ideas…?

[QUOTE=kraigballa;2302495]I just talked to HP and they are telling me that the issue is DVDFAB. He is telling me that the software is not compatible with my version of Windows Vista, which is Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit.

Any ideas…?[/QUOTE]

I had the same issue, and fixed it by replacing the burn engine to Imgburn as suggested by StormJumper on another thread. Download Imgburn first and install it, then follow this:

If you want to set ImgBurn as the burn engine in DVDFab go into common settings->“Write” select ImgBurn in the dropdown window, also set the write speed to “Recommend” you will need ImgBurn installed and do the following…

Open ImgBurn and click on “Tools” located on the menu bar and select "Settings"
click on the “Build” tab and on
Page #1 make sure there is a check mark in the box next to "Check ‘Close Program’ "
Page #2 make sure there is a check mark in the following boxes…
1)…Don’t Prompt Image Details
2)…Don’t Prompt VIDEO_TS Content
3)…Don’t Prompt Volume Label
any other boxes can stay as they are.

Good luck.

Sweet thanks! That does work…at least until DVDFab fixes their burn engine to work with 64-bit.

There are several issues with Vista. Even Microsoft field engineers will tell you don’t use it; use Windows 7 if you can get it, so that probably tells you something. Internally, power users don’t even like it.

But with Vista and DVDFAB 6.whatever, there are issues, DEP not one of them. If DEP was the cause, it would most likely not allow DVDFAB to run at all. There are issues with the DVDFAB 6 release. The issues I come across are sound sync issues with Video using DVD to Mobile and File to Mobile (IPOD being the mobile device) and it is sporadic, so this tells me DVDFab. I have opened a tech support “EMAIL” with these guys, but we will see if their support is worth a darn.