DVDFab not recognizing blank media

First of, my apologies as I am sure this has been sked before but, Windows actually recognizes the blank DVD’s but DVDFab 6.0.2.2 does not. Anybody experienced this or know how to fix it? The problem started shortly after aupgrading to this version. Thanks in advance for any help offered!

[QUOTE=dawkinsd;2312184]First of, my apologies as I am sure this has been sked before but, Windows actually recognizes the blank DVD’s but DVDFab 6.0.2.2 does not. Anybody experienced this or know how to fix it? The problem started shortly after aupgrading to this version. Thanks in advance for any help offered![/QUOTE]

Which brand of blank DVD are you trying to have recognized?

OC

:slight_smile:

I am using Ridata DVD’s which have been nothing but good for me. Burnt over 200 discs with only a few coasters out of the lot. I would chalk it up to cheap media if the discs weren’t being recognized at all but the fact that Windows sees the disk as a blank with full capacity available leaves me at a loss… that and the fact that the issue did not start until I loaded 6.0.2.2:confused:

[QUOTE=dawkinsd;2312512]I am using Ridata DVD’s which have been nothing but good for me. Burnt over 200 discs with only a few coasters out of the lot. I would chalk it up to cheap media if the discs weren’t being recognized at all but the fact that Windows sees the disk as a blank with full capacity available leaves me at a loss… that and the fact that the issue did not start until I loaded 6.0.2.2:confused:[/QUOTE]

Just because the disc’s are seen does not mean they are good quality media, for video backups you should used good quality because low to poor quality media can be very problematic…
suggest Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden

call me a newbie but I still don’t understand how the O/S can detect writeble media but DVDFab cannot. Don’ get me wrong, by no means am I saying that Ridata is high quality… why else would they be 16.99 to the door for 100… but, I just don’t see the connection here.

[QUOTE=dawkinsd;2312521]call me a newbie but I still don’t understand how the O/S can detect writeble media but DVDFab cannot. Don’ get me wrong, by no means am I saying that Ridata is high quality… why else would they be 16.99 to the door for 100… but, I just don’t see the connection here.[/QUOTE]
Have you tried another blank from further down the spindle to see if that works? I used to get this problem a lot when I used cheap media but since I have been only using Taiyo Yuden I have not had this problem again. The only thing I can think of why the OS can see the blank and not DVDFab is because the OS has to be made that way and a DVD copy program is made to see good media better than cheap media.

Here is a link you should read and it from DVDFab website also http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/BurningProblems

yes I have tried multiple blanks from the spindle with no luck… I guess I’ll just caugh up a couple bucks for a good single just to give it a shot.

This same problem happened to me little over a year ago. Windows (Vista (32)) would see the disc’s, but all my other Win programs, & Linux distro’s, wouldn’t see them. Read somewhere over in one of the Linux forums about changing from 40 pin to 80 pin cables solved the problem of that user, so I did that and haven’t had any problems since. I could have believed one cable going bad, but 2 at the same time, didn’t thinks so. Tried the 40 pin cable I removed from my main system to my XP system, and the cable worked there. So it must have been some kind of interference getting into the 40 pin cables in my main sys.

[QUOTE=dawkinsd;2312552]yes I have tried multiple blanks from the spindle with no luck… I guess I’ll just caugh up a couple bucks for a good single just to give it a shot.[/QUOTE]

Do you have ImgBurn installed ? if so try changing the burn engine in common settings-> Write… from VSO(Default) to ImgBurn, the VSO has been known to have a few issues with low quality media

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2312597]Do you have ImgBurn installed ? if so try changing the burn engine in common settings-> Write… from VSO(Default) to ImgBurn, the VSO has been known to have a few issues with low quality media[/QUOTE]

I am going to give this and higher quality media a shot this weekend. I’ll let you guys know how it works out. Thanks for all the suggestions :bow:

SaddleTramp - I am using a USB External Drive and I assume you are refering to swapping out the IDE cables… thanks for the suggestion though. :wink:

[QUOTE=dawkinsd;2312521]call me a newbie but I still don’t understand how the O/S can detect writeble media but DVDFab cannot. Don’ get me wrong, by no means am I saying that Ridata is high quality… why else would they be 16.99 to the door for 100… but, I just don’t see the connection here.[/QUOTE]

Just to help your understanding here, when the O/S detects media (as in DVD) in your drive, all it’s looking for is the DVD’s name, and the file attributes (file names and sizes) for the screen display. There is more going on, but it’s mostly overhead.

When Fab ‘opens’ a DVD (which includes putting it in the ‘Target’ box), it first has to do the same things that the O/S does, then it scans the disc to ensure there is enough usable space for the files it has to write (and the program knows how much it needs).

Somewhat more than the O/S, and more that can potentially not be read due to disc errors, etc. (any errors in what Fab is trying to do will result in an unopened disk).

This is the main reason your O/S can open a DVD, and Fab can not.

OC

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=OCanada;2407342]Just to help your understanding here, when the O/S detects media (as in DVD) in your drive, all it’s looking for is the DVD’s name, and the file attributes (file names and sizes) for the screen display. There is more going on, but it’s mostly overhead.

When Fab ‘opens’ a DVD (which includes putting it in the ‘Target’ box), it first has to do the same things that the O/S does, then it scans the disc to ensure there is enough usable space for the files it has to write (and the program knows how much it needs).

Somewhat more than the O/S, and more that can potentially not be read due to disc errors, etc. (any errors in what Fab is trying to do will result in an unopened disk).

This is the main reason your O/S can open a DVD, and Fab can not.

OC

:)[/QUOTE]

Awesome explanation… you adressed everything I was thinking in my head. Thanks again guys for all your help! :clap:

With what OC just said why not try changing the size of the output that is writen to the DVD. To do that go into common settings DVD-write and change the Writable Media 9DVD-5) Size. If you do this choose the customize in the dropdown box and change it 4200 instead of 4472. Then try again but I don’t think it will work but you are using cheap media so it probably not cost you anymore than .20 cents to try it

Well I guess I had a bad install of 6.0.2.2 because I installed 6.0.4.0 today and I am back up and running with no other chnages:D

Great glad to hear that you got it fixed, I was just going to recommend that you update your program to the latest version as your version was kinda old like me :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Jimbo;2414794]Great glad to hear that you got it fixed, I was just going to recommend that you update your program to the latest version as your version was kinda old like me :)[/QUOTE]

6.0.2.2 can’t be that old, I JUST downloaded/installed it this weekend

I know a cpl ppl that gets this problem. all we have to do is try it again and usually after the 1st or 2nd try it takes.

[QUOTE=arej00dazed;2415124]6.0.2.2 can’t be that old, I JUST downloaded/installed it this weekend[/QUOTE]

where did you d/l 6.0.2.2 from this weekend?