DVDFab Not Accepting Blank Disc

First I want to thank Storm Jumper for his personal assistance in this matter. Unfortunately we were not able to figure out what was going on so I thought that I would present it to the message board.

So here is the problem in a nutshell. I have to put the disc in first, let windows recognize it and THEN open DVDFab. That is the only way that I would then be able to get DVDFab to recognize the DVD that is in the drive. I would choose the CLONE option and Then I could run through the copy command. However, when I got to the point where I had to change discs to blank media, the drive would just spit the blank media out and tell me to insert a blank disc. And no matter how many times I did that, it would just eject the disc. So what I would do then is to copy the .iso file that it creates to a different folder, click cancel. Close DVDFab, put in the blank disc, let windows recognize it. Then I could open DVDFab and choose write disc and write that iso file to the disc. Thus completing the complete copy process.

So next experiment I did was to try Nero. I use Nero 7.
I took that same disc that I burned that is now not copy protected and opened Nero first. Chose to copy DVD and on the first screen, I put in the DVD. Soon the autoplay handler would pop up and I could choose cancel on that and when I look at the Nero screen, it sees that I have inserted a DVD and allows me to push the copy button. Nero will then run through the copy process, and then ask for the blank media. I can then put in the blank media and it will not be immediately rejected. Nero takes a second or two but soon recognizes that there is blank media inserted and will start the writing process. The copy feature works successfully.

The only thing that I can think is that there is a problem in the method that DVDFab recognizes media when it is inserted. This could be because of the DVD Writer that I have or the way that DVDFab communicates with windows. I have noticed that when I open DVDFab and THEN insert media, the autoplay handlers do not start. Its almost like DVDFab is overriding that process. Does any of this help? Let me know what more info I can give that might help in this process.

Microsoft Windows XP Home EditionService Pack 3 Build 2600
DVD Writer: Pioneer DVR-216D. Firmware 1.09 (Serial ATA Interface)
Thank You for all of your help

I don’t know what trouble shooting you’ve done previously with Storm Jumper because you said you just wanted to thank them for his help. Unless you’ve tried it already with Storn Jumper, try disabling autoplay when a DVD or CD is inserted, restart, then try DVDFab (by the way but I don’t think it makes a difference – what version of DVD Fab are you using?) by launching Fab first, then inserting the disk and then vice versa.

I am using the latest version 5230. By the way this happens with versions going back to 5076. I had asked storm jumper to send me older versions and he was very nice to do so.
I will try disabling the auto handler. I did not think of that, I will also try associating DVDs with DVDFab and seeing if that helps the situation. I am not sure if that will work or not because I was just mentioning the autoplay behavior as a symptom of if windows was recognizing that a disc was inserted or not. But we will see when I get home to try it.
Any other suggestions and ideas are welcome.

[QUOTE=Juanus;2196694]First I want to thank Storm Jumper for his personal assistance in this matter. Unfortunately we were not able to figure out what was going on so I thought that I would present it to the message board.

So here is the problem in a nutshell. I have to put the disc in first, let windows recognize it and THEN open DVDFab. That is the only way that I would then be able to get DVDFab to recognize the DVD that is in the drive. I would choose the CLONE option and Then I could run through the copy command. However, when I got to the point where I had to change discs to blank media, the drive would just spit the blank media out and tell me to insert a blank disc. And no matter how many times I did that, it would just eject the disc. So what I would do then is to copy the .iso file that it creates to a different folder, click cancel. Close DVDFab, put in the blank disc, let windows recognize it. Then I could open DVDFab and choose write disc and write that iso file to the disc. Thus completing the complete copy process.

So next experiment I did was to try Nero. I use Nero 7.
I took that same disc that I burned that is now not copy protected and opened Nero first. Chose to copy DVD and on the first screen, I put in the DVD. Soon the autoplay handler would pop up and I could choose cancel on that and when I look at the Nero screen, it sees that I have inserted a DVD and allows me to push the copy button. Nero will then run through the copy process, and then ask for the blank media. I can then put in the blank media and it will not be immediately rejected. Nero takes a second or two but soon recognizes that there is blank media inserted and will start the writing process. The copy feature works successfully.

The only thing that I can think is that there is a problem in the method that DVDFab recognizes media when it is inserted. This could be because of the DVD Writer that I have or the way that DVDFab communicates with windows. I have noticed that when I open DVDFab and THEN insert media, the autoplay handlers do not start. Its almost like DVDFab is overriding that process. Does any of this help? Let me know what more info I can give that might help in this process.

Microsoft Windows XP Home EditionService Pack 3 Build 2600
DVD Writer: Pioneer DVR-216D. Firmware 1.09 (Serial ATA Interface)
Thank You for all of your help[/QUOTE]

Deleted - will start again later.

O’C

Well, thats easy to determain. Here is the deal. I just formatted this drive an it is becoming my media server. So LITTERALLY the only software on this computer is Windows (of course), Office, DVDFab and Nero. Along with all the windows service packs and patches. There is not much for me to remove. I wish there was something I could print out to show you what is installed.
When I insert the disc while DVDFab is running, the light will come on for a second and then off and ejects the disc. If I do it while DVDFab is not running, then it doesnt spit it out.
I am purely guessing, but something tells me it has something to do with it being a SATA drive? Thats just a guess. I really am not sure.

Unfortunately, it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the accociations. When I put in a DVD, DVDFab opens up, and when I put in a blank DVD, DVDFab opens, however it still will not let me switch to the blank DVD after the copy step.
Has anyone else reported anything like this? Better yet, is anyone else using a SATA DVD Drive and not having this problem? I have done everything that I can think of

Well for starters the dvd drive you have should work with dvdfab fine as I have that Pioneer also. Did you do the clean uninstall that StormJumper made up. If you did not I suggest you do that, if you did do it already then do it again. You can find the directions in StormJumpers signature. Do everything exactly as he says and then let us know how it works for you

Thank you for that confirmation GJ.
I have done that manual uninstall in StormJumpers signature many times and reinstalling various different versions of the DVDFab software.
Thanks again for the confirmation that someone else is using this drive. I have to say, I have been happy with it and it works with all other programs. I just wish I could track down this glitch.

Well if you have done the clean uninstall then it is not a DVDFab problem, it will be a computer problem. Is it a personal build or a store bought computer

[QUOTE=Juanus;2198397]Unfortunately, it doesnt seem to have anything to do with the accociations. When I put in a DVD, DVDFab opens up, and when I put in a blank DVD, DVDFab opens, however it still will not let me switch to the blank DVD after the copy step.
Has anyone else reported anything like this? Better yet, is anyone else using a SATA DVD Drive and not having this problem? I have done everything that I can think of[/QUOTE]

No, it has nothing to do with your HD - SATA or IDE.

Just one quick note. For this test, please ensure you are using the VSO engine supplied with DVDFab. Also make sure your Nero disk is handy.

Wipe Nero right off your system. The whole package. When that’s done, reboot your system.

Now try another disk with DVDFab, and let us know the results. (I mean a full copy job… read and write).

O’C

:slight_smile:

@ O’Canada
Do you think there may be something causing the issue here[B] -->(Serial ATA Interface)[/B]
DVD Writer: Pioneer DVR-216D. Firmware 1.09

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2198434]@ O’Canada
Do you think there may be something causing the issue here[B] -->(Serial ATA Interface)[/B]
DVD Writer: Pioneer DVR-216D. Firmware 1.09[/QUOTE]

Nope… I suspect Nero is hi-jacking the info that the VSO engine needs to start the burn process, and the only way to confirm this is to remove Nero completely and try Fab as a stand-alone.

If that doesn’t work, he’ll have to re-install Nero, and use that as his normal burn engine, as, according to him, it seems to work.

But I expect this to work. Isn’t Nero 7 also the version that is failing to write the AUDIO_TS folder during a burn? Seems to me others have complained about that.

O’C

:slight_smile:

wow… Lots of action while I was in a meeting.
When I get home, I will try uninstalling Nero. I am not sure this will work, but I will try anything.
Just to clarify I am able to use Nero standalone… I can copy unprotected DVDs and CDs with no problem.
I can use ImgBurn standalone with no problem.
And if I use The Nero Burn engine OR the imgburn engine from within DVDFab, the same thing happens. Its not the burn engine that is not registering. DVDFab is not detecting the disc change. For example, if I open DVDFab and then put the DVD in (Blank or otherwise), It will not recognize that there is a disc in the drive now. The only way to get it to recognize a disc is to put in the DVD, let windows recognize it, THEN open DVDFab and it sees a disc there. However, when it comes to change to the blank disc, DVDFab keeps ejecting the disc and telling me to put in a blank one. It never gets to the burn engine step. (if that makes any sense)

[quote=O’Canada;2198448]Nope… I suspect Nero is hi-jacking the info that the VSO engine needs to start the burn process, and the only way to confirm this is to remove Nero completely and try Fab as a stand-alone.

If that doesn’t work, he’ll have to re-install Nero, and use that as his normal burn engine, as, according to him, it seems to work.

But I expect this to work. Isn’t Nero 7 also the version that is failing to write the AUDIO_TS folder during a burn? Seems to me others have complained about that.

O’C

:)[/quote]
Ok was wondering, you know I have nero 8 installed on my vista rig and have no issues course I have stopped all it’s components from starting at start up :smiley: within computer management–>services…like I do with any software program I install, I mean why have them start when the system starts if you are not going to use them at start up :wink: it does not stop the program from working when you go to use it anyway :bigsmile:

Yeah, I have Nero 7 installed and I have been using it for a long time. I stop all of the services also. But Its not a big deal, I will uninstall it and run the cleanup utility that is on the Nero site. just for giggles. Heck, I can even format the drive again. its not hard and it wont take me long.

I am trying to explain that there are different behaviors of how the system reacts when DVDFab is open as opposed to when it is not open. DVDFab is blocking something or not recognizing something.
If you put a DVD in without DVDFab running, you get the autoplay selections. With DVDFab running, you do not get the autoplay. Any other software, whether it is running or not, you still get the autoplay. This would lead me to believe that DVDFab is blocking something that is not letting the system recognize a disc is inserted.

[quote=Juanus;2198504]Yeah, I have Nero 7 installed and I have been using it for a long time. I stop all of the services also. But Its not a big deal, I will uninstall it and run the cleanup utility that is on the Nero site. just for giggles. Heck, I can even format the drive again. its not hard and it wont take me long.

I am trying to explain that there are different behaviors of how the system reacts when DVDFab is open as opposed to when it is not open. DVDFab is blocking something or not recognizing something.
If you put a DVD in without DVDFab running, you get the autoplay selections. With DVDFab running, you do not get the autoplay. Any other software, whether it is running or not, you still get the autoplay. This would lead me to believe that DVDFab is blocking something that is not letting the system recognize a disc is inserted.[/quote]
Actually I think it a corrupt install and something is being left out or not getting seen. I have Nero 7 on my computer and it not interfere with fab also but this problem will get figured out somehow but it will just take sometime.

I want to thank everyone for their help and suggestions.
I have solved the problem. I think that this is the first problem that has occured from updating to the latest drivers.
I will try to make this short but hopfully it can help someone else out.
I have a Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe motherboard that has the NVIDIA nForce4 SLI X16 chipset. If you go to the Nvidia website, it says that you should use driver version 15.23 and thats what I had been using. Well, technically this is correct, this driver does support this board. However, at the same time, it is not correct. So I looked at their site and found that they had an older discontinued driver model for this board and I used that. No more problems. All those symptoms that I reported about DVDFab not recognizing when a disc was inserted and the new VSO burning engine crashing have been solved by using the older (correct) driver for my motherboard. Apparently by doing some searches, this is a common problem with some of the older nforce boards.

If someone needs more information about what happened, please let me know. But I dont want to bore everyone here. Thanks again to everyone!

I sometimes have this problem, holding down the left shift key (which temp disables autoplay) just before inserting the blank one until dvdfab recognise it solves the problem for me