DVDFAB new problem

vbimport

I’ve burned 100’s of DVDs but this started today and I can’t get DVDFab to work. About half way through a rip using “main movie” the drive slows down to a snails speed, it will eventually finish but the file is’nt readable.
I did a clean install including deleting info in the registry with the same problem, another clean install upgrading to version 5.09 same results. I checked the DMA settings and they were fine so I plugged in an external USB burner and again the same thing. Tried it with several dvd’s both factory and some I’d burned previously then I tried with files I’d ripped to the HD and they all did the same thing. I tried playing them and they still would freeze in the preview window Then I used both VLS and powerdvd and they both played properly.
I’m using XP with SP3 with no problems for months and this is driving me crazy.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sounds like Windows has shot itself in the foot again; have you tried re-installing the OS? Might be wrong, but this has solved a shed-load of problems for me.

Sláinte

midders

Try turning off the read ahead cache in Common Settings. Also turn off the preview autostart and autoplay functions (the top two check boxes in Common Settings->Preview). This sounds more like a hardware problem. Is the drive that holds the temp or output files defragmented? Plenty of free space?

Don’t think its a HD issue, 1TB with 600GB left,recently defragged. The program actually does it when i put in a dvd or load a file the preview window freezes in the same place before i hit the start button
Will try unchecking the boxes you mentioned and sending the output to another drive. Hope that works I don’t really want to reinstall XP

I unchecked the preview boxes and the buffer and it read all the way through just a little slower than normal but the rip won’t play back. I get a 2nd box that opens in vls that says unable to read. Also outputted to a different drive with the same results. I’m really confused now.

A slow computer can be a sign of an overly fragmented hard drive.
Your computer saves parts of a file one place and other parts somewhere else, based on available space.
Over time, this fragmentation builds up, forcing your computer to look in several different places to read a file, which slows things down.
Defragging places your files in adjoining blocks and makes the most frequently used files available for fastest access, which improves performance over time.
It’s ideal to run a “defrag” utility once a week or at least once a month.
Note that if you have not defragged in a long time it could take a few hours to complete.
It’ll go faster next time you do it.
Look for the Disk Defragmenter utility included in Start | All Programs | Accessories.

Windows ships with various services that automatically load when you startup your PC, but this can make your start time sluggish.
Check out what starts automatically and set the startup of items you likely won’t need to "manual."
To do this, choose Start | Control Panel, and then go to Administrative Tools | Services.
Right-click items and choose Properties to change their automatic startup setting.
Be careful not to change the startup setting of any services that are needed for networking or applications you use.

Spyware, viruses, and uninvited clutter in your Windows Registry and file system are one of the most common causes of a slow PC.

have you considered using system restore to go back to a date when everything was working OK ?

that is often the best cure for Windows issues.

but I read your description & got confused when you said the fiels play OK in powerdvd - are you talking about the output fiels that you have burned to DVD or the original DVDs here ?

is it the rip i.e. the read from DVD to HD that is slowing to a crawl, or the burn. ?

NB plugging in an external burner will not change the rip behaviour; if the problem is with rip/preview then maybe the drive you are reading from is dying on you ?

I never said the computer slowed down the rip slowed down. The computer runs fine. I understand how to defrag a computer and change windows services but I honestly don’t think that’s the problem. I’ve tried a total of 5 HD’s and 3 optical drives both internal and external in every combination and each time I get the same result. Never been a fan of system restore, I’ve got plenty of data backups, I will reinstall XP as a last resort.
I’ll try and explain better. When I put a DVD in any optical drive it will play fine on powerdvd and vls if I open DVDFab the preview window will freeze about 2/3 of the way through whether I ripping or not. The rip starts at proper speed but slows to a crawl at about 2/3, it will eventually finish but the file will not play in anything. If I open a previously ripped file again plays fine in powerdvd and vls but will freeze if DVDFab.
This just really has me stumped, I appreciate all the suggestions.

[QUOTE=eajacobs59;2127457]I’ve tried a total of 5 HD’s.[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about rippng HD DVD’s then that maybe your problem DVDFab does not support HD or Blue-Ray DVD’s at this time.
However in the change log post by Fengtao for ver 5.0.8.5 he stated it will work on some but not all.

Hd means hard drive.

[QUOTE=eajacobs59;2127481]Hd means hard drive.[/QUOTE]

Sorry with [B]HD[/B] dvd’s out that is no longer true these days :frowning: but I hads to find out which you was talking about :smiley:

Chow :cool:

Edit…BTW if you are talking about hard drives does that mean you have DVDFab on 5 hard drives ? and you have 5 different reg keys ?

What I meant with the 5 hdd’s was outputting to them, but that got me thinking so I did a clean install to an external drive (which is probably where I should have put it to start with) and it ripped fine. The problem I seem to have is playing them back. Typically there are 4 or 5 1GB vob files in the folder and I can play any of them individually fine but when I try to open from the video ts folder as before I get an unable to read message. Tried this with the rips I did yesterday that ran so slow and I get the same thing. I’m going to try and reinstall vlc and see what happens.
Thanks

[QUOTE=eajacobs59;2127582]What I meant with the 5 hdd’s was outputting to them, but that got me thinking so I did a clean install to an external drive (which is probably where I should have put it to start with) and it ripped fine. The problem I seem to have is playing them back. Typically there are 4 or 5 1GB vob files in the folder and I can play any of them individually fine but when I try to open from the video ts folder as before I get an unable to read message. Tried this with the rips I did yesterday that ran so slow and I get the same thing. I’m going to try and reinstall vlc and see what happens.
Thanks[/QUOTE]

1. try playing them back in windows media player, by opening video_ts.ifo. if WMP plays them ok then the DVD structure is correct i.e. it’s not a DVDFAB problem.

2. the slow rip on your original install may have something to do with the codecs being used by the preview window - a lot of folks have had trouble with that in recent releases.

3. you say all your trouble began on one particular day, so think real hard about anything you might have installed or uninstalled just before then, whcih could have affected codecs. somtimes it is an uninstall that screws things up, if the uninstaller is badly written.
    I would use system restore to revert to before than, but if you don’t want to, you’ll have to figure out what changed by some other method.
    The brute force one is to search your drive or all files modified on a single day then go through the list looking for likely suspects.

I tried playing the rip back in media player and vlc with no luck. Tried to burn a disk with the rip and it only does the first 20 minutes or so and won’t play any where. Also can’t convert anything to mobile generic I’ve never had a problem with that. Seems to be something wrong with the structure of the rip the files are the right size but it will only play back 1 vob.

I changed the optical drive and the speed issue is resolved.