DVDfab mp4 won't play on ipod

vbimport

I used the lateset version of DVDfab mobile to convert a DVD to ipod. The process worked and the mp4 file plays just fine with Apples quicktime player.

I dropped the mp4 into my itunes library, but when I try to sync it to my video ipod, I get a message saying that it’s not a valid video format for my ipod.

So, in itunes I right clicked on the mp4 file and selected: “convert to ipod format”. The itunes conversion is still running right now and has been runnig for over 3 hours :frowning:

I called Apple, they said the mp4 file is not in AAC format. I asked them: when the file is done converting what file extenison will it have, he said .mp4

I am confused, so there are different types of mp4 files?
Is there a way to have DVDfab output a AAC formated mp4 file that will play on my ipod without having itunes have to convert it?

When I converted the DVD in DVDfab, I selected convert to ipod. Did I miss some settings?

Thanks for any help…

There are several different iPod profiles, selectable with the Profile drop down selector on the Conversion Settings page, but they ALL use the AAC audio codec. Try a different profile or perhaps change the bitrate or screen resolution to something smaller. You may be encoding at too high a bitrate for your iPod.

Hi Tacoma,

I’m still at work…again…:sad:, but this sounds like a simple issue (hopefully).
Could you post a screenshot of your configuration settings for the conversions?
Are you using [B]ipod.mpeg4[/B] or [B]ipod.h264[/B]?.

Also, I always use itunes to import the converted files…I never drag and drop. While I own an Ipod and do quite a few conversions, I pretty much never have a problem and just stumble through the process without much knowledge.
Try using itunes to import from the hdd and see if this makes a difference.

[Edit]
OT
Hey pard…didn’t see you there

Hey Maineman,

Attached is an image of my settings in DVDfab and aslo I included a image of what itunes shows for the properties of the mp4. BTW I have a 3rd gen ipod video Nano.

Thanks!!!

[QUOTE=maineman;2099328]Hi Tacoma,

I’m still at work…again…:sad:, but this sounds like a simple issue (hopefully).
Could you post a screenshot of your configuration settings for the conversions?
Are you using [B]ipod.mpeg4[/B] or [B]ipod.h264[/B]?.

Also, I always use itunes to import the converted files…I never drag and drop. While I own an Ipod and do quite a few conversions, I pretty much never have a problem and just stumble through the process without much knowledge.
Try using itunes to import from the hdd and see if this makes a difference.

[Edit]
OT
Hey pard…didn’t see you there[/QUOTE]

@maineman
Just lurking about. :slight_smile:
@tacoma5050
With the Nano I think you should be using one of the H.264+AAC profiles. I would also select a smaller screen size unless you are playing this on something besides the Nano. The files will be smaller and will encode faster. Try 320x240.

Hi again Tacoma,

Your bits/pixel ratio is way off.
Here’s a decent formula for calculating mp4 settings:

(pixel height ÷ 16) X [or times] (pixel width ÷ 16)…the product should be less than 900 macroblocks (230,400 pixels).

Also, increase your fixed bitrate…I usually shoot for about 1700-1800 kbps with good results, for both Ipod or patched from the Ipod to a TV. You can go as high as 2500 kbps, but I wouldn’t push your luck and you’ll pay the price of a substantially larger file size.

I would also recommend an audio bitrate of 128.
I usually turn the volume to 300% as well for my poor, tired, old ears
Too many hours of Jimi Hendrix in my youth…:bigsmile:

A picture’s worth a 1000 words…here are a couple of screenshots:
(You can see I’ve pushed to the limit of 900 macroblocks)

[Edit]
Hey signals …just noticed you too…:wink:

I’m just catching signals’ comments…sorry I missed that you’re using a nano.
I totally agree with my good friend signals…use the h.264 mode if you’re able. I’m not sure if a 3rd gen nano supports h.264.

You can use the same bits/pixel ratio calculation, but this time the maximum is 300 macroblocks (76,800 pixels).
The native resolution for Ipods is 320x240. I would select this setting as signals suggests.

Hope this helps and let us know…

The ipod video spec listed by apple.
MPEG-4:
Resolution: 640 x 480 max
Video Bit rate: 2500 max
Audio Bit rate: 160 max

H264:
Resolution: 640 x 480 max
Video Bit rate: 1500 max
Audio Bit rate: 160 max

What I find interesting is some of the videos the Apple store sells don’t match these specs and still work on my 5th generation ipod. For example I have a video with resolution 853 x 360.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the help, your sugesstions worked!! Here are the DVDfab settings that worked for my ipod nano:

profile: ipod.h264
res: 480x368
fps: 29.97
vid BR: 750 kbps
audio BR: 96 kbps

That producted a 680meg file from a 100 minute DVD movie. Space is at a premium for me since it’s only a 4gig nano. Also the above ipod.h264 profile produced a file extension of .m4v and that worked on my Nano.

On my first failed attempt the plain ipod profile produced a file extension of .mp4 and that file did not work on my nano.

Maybe the .m4v denotes AAC? which is requiered for ipod.

Thanks !!!

[QUOTE=tacoma5050;2100196]Hi all,

Thanks for all the help, your sugesstions worked!! [/QUOTE]
Hey, that’s great news…congrats!
Glad to hear that the h.264 profile worked on your 3rd gen nano…I wasn’t sure…like I said, I don’t know much about Ipods…I just enjoy 'em…:bigsmile: