DVDFab making my dvd run in PIO mode!

vbimport

When dvdfab encounters a read error, it is changing my dvd drive to operate in PIO mode! Changing back requires me to uninstall and then reinstall my ide adaptor, which requires 2 reboots. I’ve seen that others have this same problem. I think this definitely needs to be fixed!

This is a problem…Happens to me to often when tring to copy a scratched or damaged unreadable disc… I do wish that a warning or freeze up or disc would eject when a problem is encountered…Anything but a kick into PIO mode…With only so mant reverts allowed before it is stuck in PIO…I don’t know much about PCs or if this should be addressed in a probram or the Windows OS…Maybe there is a program that can scan a movie quickly for read errors…I tried scanning using DVD Shrink but don’t know if it gets hung while scanning if it reverts to PIO right away or not…To much testing and I’m screwed…If you find an answer, please let us know…
It really would be great to overcome this headache… :rolleyes:

Sorry boys,. :disagree: …the problem is not with DVDFab it is your operating system that changes it baxk to PIO mode, this is normal and a safty feature to protect the system when it has trouble reading a disc :cool:

@Zarxrax
If this happening all yje time you may want to check your IDE Cables,…it they are 40 wire Cables(most likely) replace them with 80 wire IDE Cables it will help improve the transfer rate,…if you already have 80 wire IDE Cables then check them may have gone bad :eek:
@Ron
Hi my friend the IDE Cable is not your issue … but at least you know what the problem is :flower:

[
@Ron
Hi my friend the IDE Cable is not your issue … but at least you know what the problem is :flower:[/QUOTE]

Hi Tim. Yeh I know. Just wish there was a warning of some sort.

Hey Ron, maybe you could scan the movie with CD Speed to see what it says about the disk first. That might help ya out. ~ Mike

[QUOTE=astone2665;2015486]Hey Ron, maybe you could scan the movie with CD Speed to see what it says about the disk first. That might help ya out. ~ Mike[/QUOTE]

:iagree: :clap::clap:

[QUOTE=astone2665;2015486]Hey Ron, maybe you could scan the movie with CD Speed to see what it says about the disk first. That might help ya out. ~ Mike[/QUOTE]

Thanks Mike. I have CD Speed and will try that next time before I do a damaged copy…
I’m not sure how, or how to read the results. I’m not the sharpest knife in the drawer but should be able to figure it out. If it finds an error do you think it will kick into PIO while testing with CD Speed?
The one movie that I had the most problems is Jaws. Keeps locking up and freezing at the same spot in Fab and Shrink. It is damaged with scratches and a pit looking thingie that also could be a spot of missing foil looking stuff…Plays OK on home DVD player. Hope you can understand all my technical terms. :bigsmile:

Other ripping software I have used in the past such as DVD Decrypter never changed my drive to PIO mode, so I’m not sure how this is a problem with the operating system.
Couldn’t it be possible to just have an option in DVD Fab to make it skip parts of the disc that have errors?

Edit: Nevermind, I actually found this option. If I enable this would it keep the drive from going into PIO mode?

Dvddecrypter does indeed kick my drive(s) into pio mode when reading a very scratched or dirty disk…I use it in conjunction with ripit4me and it has happened several times

ok…
Understand windows is the problem and kick’s it into PIO mode during dirty or un-readable disk time but my question is what is windows protecting?

If the reading portion gets hung up and stops reading,
usually a user in the case of a “frozen” program will cntrl-alt-delete and re-boot or try to close the program or whatever.
So for real… enlighten me.
What does windows protect?
is it your rom or reader overheating or what…

Also it seems that setting DVDfab to ignore read errors didn’t help any.

Another thing that I don’t understand is… if the drive can be knocked down to PIO mode on the fly… why the heck does it require a reboot to get back to DMA mode?

I believe dvd shrink will ck the disk and not cause the shift to pio mode. can’t remember the error message, but it means dirty or damaged disk.

[QUOTE=Zarxrax;2015633]Also it seems that setting DVDfab to ignore read errors didn’t help any.

Another thing that I don’t understand is… if the drive can be knocked down to PIO mode on the fly… why the heck does it require a reboot to get back to DMA mode?[/QUOTE]

One last input from this Help squad member ,…IF you are running a program on the FLY(in the background :doh: ) during the time you are using DVDFab you are causing yourself problems.
Goodbye and have a nice one

the best solution for enabling dma is uninstalling your [B]ide controller[/B]. not you ide channels as this is the most popular.

this is not a program issue, if a drive has reading errors then a drive has reading errors. windows will downgrade the udma mode by one for each set of six errors. so if you are in udma mode 2 and receive 12 consecutive CRC errors your transfer mode has now been changed to PIO.

you can get updates form microsoft which change the read error time out from 4 sec to 10 sec

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/817472

if this is a major problem id suggest getting a new drive. if you do have a new drive, sorry you should have gotten a lite-on.

This isn’t a problem with my drive though, this is a scratched disc that can’t be read properly.

[QUOTE=Zarxrax;2015903]This isn’t a problem with my drive though, this is a scratched disc that can’t be read properly.[/QUOTE]yeah anytime you have a scratched disc and the drive runs into alot of errors it will fall back to PIO mode.

Try unchecking Enable read-ahead cache (in the Read settings)

What brand/model drive are you using to rip the disc with? Some drives read better than others.

May want to consider investing in a CD/DVD Cleaner/Polisher to address scratched discs. They can not repair 'lost/damaged" [U]information[/U] per extreme damage, but can reduce read errors for non-lethal types of scratches.

This was first fixed in SP2 on Windows XP. I’ve mentioned it several times on this Forum. Follow the ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess Registry Settings at the end of KB 817472, and the problem will go away…Forever!

[QUOTE=jfagnani;2016002]This was first fixed in SP2 on Windows XP. I’ve mentioned it several times on this Forum. Follow the ResetErrorCountersOnSuccess Registry Settings at the end of KB 817472, and the problem will go away…Forever![/QUOTE]Good advice. I have never had this problem.