DVDFab: List of Blu-ray Writers That Support Cinavia BDMV-REC Recording

vbimport

DVDFab currently uses a workaround for Cinavia protected discs that involves creating a protected backup in a format that DVDFab’s producers have named BDMV-REC.

One potential problem with this though is that in order to create a protected BDMV-REC backup you must have a Blu-ray writer that supports ‘binding nonce generation’. So what on Earth is that then?

For those that feel the need to know, the ‘binding nonce’ is a 128 bit key that your drive generates which is used to cryptographically link the data on the disc, to that particular disc. It’s part of the AACS specs and is intended to prevent ‘rollback attacks’.

As with anything involving AACS the precise technical details behind this are complex but fortunately it’s not necessary for users to familiarise themselves with the inner workings and all that most users need to know is, does my existing drive (or the drive I’m intending to purchase) support ‘binding nonce generation’?

Ideally there should be a list of supported drives available but I’ve searched exhaustively and there doesn’t seem to be such a list anywhere online.

So here’s the first list of supported drives brought to you exclusively by MyCE and based on my own online research.

If you’d like to help to add to this list please post here in this thread and I’ll add your details to this first post.

DVDFab users can check their drive’s capabilities by going to Common Settings -> Info as as shown below.

Users without DVDFab can also check whether their drive supports this feature or not from ImgBurn by going to Tools -> Drive -> Capabilities and checking the status of the ‘binding nonce generation’ checkbox at the bottom of the screen.

Anyway, here’s the actual list.

Drives that are known to support ‘binding nonce generation’

ASUS: SBW-06C1S-U (only with VSO burning engine)

Buffalo: BR3D-12U3

HP: CH20L

LG: BE12LU30, BH12LS30, BH12LS35, BH12NS38, BH14NS40, BH20N, GGW-H20L, LG BH08, LG BH10, WH08LS20, WH10LS30, WH12LS30, BP06LU10, BH16NS40

Optiarc: BD-5300S, BD-5730S, BD-5750H

Pioneer: BDR-205, BDR-206, BDR-207M, BDR-207D, BDR-TD03, S07XLT, BDR-S08XLT, BDR-2208

Plextor: PX-B940SA

Samsung: SE506AB, BDDVDW SE-506BB

Sony: BDX-S500U, BDX-S600U, BWU-500S

Panasonic: UJ-220

Drives that don’t currently support ‘binding nonce generation’

Asus: BW-12B1ST

Liteon: iHBS112, iHBS212, iHBS312

Memorex: 800L v1

Plextor: PX-LB950UE

Wombler

Imgburn show that BH12LS30 is “binding nonce generation” OK.

[QUOTE=zhadoom;2621136]Imgburn show that BH12LS30 is “binding nonce generation” OK.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that zhadoom.

I’ve added it in.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Supported Drives:

Pioneer BDR-207M, Sony BWU-500S

Unsupported Drives:

Liteon: iHBS312, Plextor PX-LB950UE

Hey thanks for that as I was assuming the Pioneer BDR-207M would work but hadn’t heard anything about its detailed specs yet.

Thanks for posting as this will help out others. :cool:

[B]Wombler[/B]

To add to this list, the Panasonic/Matsushita UJ family SHOULD support binding nonce, since my UJ-220 does. I don’t think they would remove it from later models.

[QUOTE=sorewinner;2625721]To add to this list, the Panasonic/Matsushita UJ family SHOULD support binding nonce, since my UJ-220 does. I don’t think they would remove it from later models.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, sorewinner I’ve added that one in. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Add Pioneer laptop drive BDR-TD03…

Info for drive [D:] (DVDFab 8.1.6.3) Vendor: PIONEER
Product: BD-RW BDR-TD03
Revision: 1.20
Vendor specific: 11/02/09 PIONEER
Drive region control: RPC II
Drive region: 1
User changes left: 4
Vendor resets left: 4
AACS version: 1
Number of concurrent AGIDs: 1
Supports bus encryption: YES
[B]Supports binding nonce generation: YES[/B]
No disc in drive.

That’s great, thanks for that.

Oh and welcome to the forums! :flower:

Nice first post BTW. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

The Pioneer BDR-207DBK (BDR-207D) supports “binding nonce generation”.

[QUOTE=kth;2633979]The Pioneer BDR-207DBK (BDR-207D) supports “binding nonce generation”.[/QUOTE]

Thanks kth it’s been added in. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Imgburn show that LG WH12LS30 is “binding nonce generation” OK. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Gunzzo;2641869]Imgburn show that LG WH12LS30 is “binding nonce generation” OK. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks Gunzzo I’ve added that one in. :flower:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Have an external USB 3.0 Buffalo BR3D-12U3 (detected in IMGBURN as HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH12NS38 EL00 if that matters to anyone) and it supports Binding Nonce Generation.

[QUOTE=Nnyan;2642400]Have an external USB 3.0 Buffalo BR3D-12U3 (detected in IMGBURN as HL-DT-ST BD-RE BH12NS38 EL00 if that matters to anyone) and it supports Binding Nonce Generation.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Nnyan and welcome to the forums. :flower:

We don’t have any Buffalo drives listed so far so that’s a useful one to add to the list.

The drive inside appears to be an LG that we don’t have listed either so that’s two for the price of one. :slight_smile:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Glad I could help! Odds are we’re going to buy a number of BD devices I’ll check them as I get them.

[QUOTE=Nnyan;2642676]Glad I could help! Odds are we’re going to buy a number of BD devices I’ll check them as I get them.[/QUOTE]

Much appreciated.

[B]Wombler[/B]

The following support binding nonce

LG: BH14NS40
Samsung Portable: SE506AB

[QUOTE=Beemer Biker;2643207]The following support binding nonce

LG: BH14NS40
Samsung Portable: SE506AB

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Beemer Biker. :flower:

I’ve added those in. :wink:

[B]Wombler[/B]

Does anybody know if the [B]Panasonic UJ-240[/B] and [B]Plextor [/B][B]PX-B940SA[/B] support binding nonce generation?