DVDFab, I should have known better

I bought DVD Fab platinum some time ago. I was very happy with the product as it works very well and does so simply. I put the DVD in, click what I want and it does everything for me. That was version 5.0.3.0. Thankfully I still have 5.0.3.0 on my old computer and can still use it because every single time I “upgrade” to a supposedly better version, nothing works right.

I tried to copy Bangkok Dangerous but with could not so I looked at your site here and read that the “BD” movie had a newer code or something that prevented copying but that you had released a newer version that would solve the issue. I paused and thought “they said that before” and everytime I fell for it, it refused to work properly and I always had to try to fix something. I don’t want to fix anything, I want it to work without me having to do anything but push the button. But sure enough, I fell for it again. And again it will not copy anything. The only movie that I could not copy with 5.0.3.0 so far is the bangkok dangerous one.

Why does the old version work so well but every so called improvement seem to suck? I am running windows Vista ultimate on a Dell XPS. This is enough to drive me crazy.

John V

The current version copied BD fine for me and many others. Not sure what you are seeing. What are the symptoms of the failure? Any error codes? PathPlayer in Always Enable mode?

pathplayer is in always enable mode. It has always been though. Is that a problem now??

There may be an error code but I do not believe it is the same as it fail at different times. For example, it appeared to copy the BD movie fine and wrote it to DVD fine but when it tried to verify it, it said failed. I thought maybe it worked anyway and tried to watch some of it to see, but it really did fail. It has failed now two other times in a row and always when writing, after copying has finished.

I only have one DVD slot so I have to change out the DVD for a blank one but that has never mattered before.

John V

It should not matter now either. If you could post a burn log from one of the failures it might give us a little more information. In one of the recent beta releases, you had to disable PathPlayer and use Main Movie mode to copy BD, but any copy mode with PP enabled works now.

[QUOTE=lawmann@mail.com;2197789]pathplayer is in always enable mode. It has always been though. Is that a problem now??

There may be an error code but I do not believe it is the same as it fail at different times. For example, it appeared to copy the BD movie fine and wrote it to DVD fine but when it tried to verify it, it said failed. I thought maybe it worked anyway and tried to watch some of it to see, but it really did fail. It has failed now two other times in a row and always when writing, after copying has finished.

I only have one DVD slot so I have to change out the DVD for a blank one but that has never mattered before.

John V[/QUOTE]

What media are you using?

O’C

:slight_smile:

memorex and/or HP Invent

OK I just tried and guess what, it failed again. It is saying Task_2 failed! Error=122. No idea what that means but that is the response I am getting.

task 2 is VSO burning error. try using ImgBurn.

[QUOTE=lawmann@mail.com;2197816]OK I just tried and guess what, it failed again. It is saying Task_2 failed! Error=122. No idea what that means but that is the response I am getting.[/QUOTE]

I am getting this same issue when creating for my iPod. and it does not seem to matter what I choose for the compression settings, the file is always the same size (when I can get it to succeed)

first …what is image burner and does it attach to DVDFab or is it just another copy program?

second…I dont want to do anything else. I want to put in the disc, push the button and be done, just like I did when I bought the program. When I run 5.0.3.0 it still works just fine. But since I downloaded the newer version onto my main computer, I am stuck trying to figure it out.

third…the whole selling point behind DVDFab is that it is easy to use. If you haven’t figured it out already, this sure as hell isn’t my definition of easy.

(Thanks for trying to help at least though)

[quote=ItalianDragn;2197889]I am getting this same issue when creating for my iPod. and it does not seem to matter what I choose for the compression settings, the file is always the same size (when I can get it to succeed)[/quote]The problem being discussed here relates to burning DVDs, not iPod conversions. The same error code would not appear. If you are having a problem with the Mobile option, there is a subforum just for that now that will get you targeted help much faster. It is here: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f163/

[quote=lawmann@mail.com;2197970]first …what is image burner and does it attach to DVDFab or is it just another copy program?

second…I dont want to do anything else. I want to put in the disc, push the button and be done, just like I did when I bought the program. When I run 5.0.3.0 it still works just fine. But since I downloaded the newer version onto my main computer, I am stuck trying to figure it out.

third…the whole selling point behind DVDFab is that it is easy to use. If you haven’t figured it out already, this sure as hell isn’t my definition of easy.

(Thanks for trying to help at least though)[/quote]Please post the burn log, it will have much of the information that we need to have to be able to help you. You can find it at C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\My Documents\DVDFab\Log in a file named dvdfab_burn_vso.log. It is a text file that you can open with Notepad and copy and paste into a post. You do not need to copy the entire file, just some of the failures or the top two or three entries.

Hey Lawmann,

I think that I might agree with you, “easy to use” is important.

As much as I like updates, it’s a pain in the neck when everything is working just fine, but then after installing the “latest greatest” update - everything goes south on you! (I also experienced various problems just recently with versions 5.1.2.0 and 5.1.2.2 for example.)

As much as like fooling around with DVDFab and tweaking things in general, I wonder if it wouldn’t be better to maybe slow down the fast-and-furious pace of all the “incremental” upgrades and only release truly stable versions as they become available. Maybe only “optional patches” when and if it’s necessary to address issues specific to a particular movie for example.

I have to admit that most of the time I also just want to update/install and then forget about it - BUT - I also want to count on the Fab working without a fuss!

Don’t take this the wrong way Fab developers, so far I’ve been super happy with DVDFab, but hey if it was working great before don’t mess it up already with an “improvement”!

Cheers,

Organdude

2009-01-15 00:05:55 ---- ******************** Log session stop 15-Jan 00:05:55.661 PID 5996********************
2009-01-15 00:05:55 Info Current Drive selected : 0:1:0 - TSSTcorp DVD±RW TS-H653B D300 [E] (Ide)
2009-01-15 00:05:55 Info Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37, Internal revision 37 Async. Access mode
2009-01-15 00:05:55 Info System default language : English (United States)
2009-01-15 00:05:55 Info User default language : English (United States)
2009-01-15 00:05:55 Info DLL Version : 3.2.4.406
2009-01-15 00:05:55 Info DLL : C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\vso_hwe.dll
2009-01-15 00:05:55 Info Version : 5, 2, 2, 6
2009-01-15 00:05:55 Info ExeName : C:\Program Files\DVDFab 5\DVDFab.exe
2009-01-15 00:05:55 Info OS : Microsoft Vista Professional (build 6000)
2009-01-15 00:05:55 ---- ******************** Log session start 15-Jan 00:05:55.115 PID 5996********************

2009-01-15 00:05:35 ---- ******************** Log session stop 15-Jan 00:05:35.131 PID 1460********************
2009-01-14 23:26:58 Error WRITE FAILED: Can’t find write strategy at sector 80
2009-01-14 23:26:57 Error Write error at 64 (16) - Code 06 29 00 [Unit attention, Power On or Bus device reset occured]
2009-01-14 23:25:42 Info Lead-in burning time (mS) 17761
2009-01-14 23:25:25 Info Write started 1702320 sectors to write
2009-01-14 23:25:25 Info Init success: DVD-R SAO
2009-01-14 23:25:25 Info Writing speed requested x8.0, effective x8.0
2009-01-14 23:25:24 Info Available write speed: 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x,
2009-01-14 23:25:24 Info Media ID: CMC MAG. AM3
2009-01-14 23:25:24 Info Media type: DVD-R
2009-01-14 23:25:24 Info PIO Mode

is this enough for you to offer an opinion??

Lawmann

Just wanted to add that the other fails did not list the same type of failure. The one before that actually stated it was a success but when attempting to verify noticed that it was not a success. It replied access violation at 00000000

[quote=lawmann@mail.com;2198022]
2009-01-14 23:25:24 Info Available write speed: 16x, 12x, 8x, 6x, 4x,
[B]2009-01-14 23:25:24 Info Media ID: CMC MAG. AM3[/B]
2009-01-14 23:25:24 Info Media type: DVD-R
[B]2009-01-14 23:25:24 Info PIO Mode[/B]

is this enough for you to offer an opinion??

Lawmann[/quote]
You are in PIO mode open dvdfab common settings general and reset DMA. Also get some better media as the CMC you have are not good

Lawman,

I agree with GJ, get some quality blanks like Verbatim and reset to DMA mode.

Yes the cmc MID are very problematic at times as stated above go with Verbatim or better yet [B]Taiyo Yuden :bigsmile:[/B]
but your biggest problem is PIO mode not DVDFab .

Have a nice day :flower:

OK…I clicked the button that says [reset DMA] and it sid I needed to restart my computer so I did that as well. I look at it now and do not see anything listed different. How do I know if it did anything? You said I was running PIO but I did not change anything and have no idea what PIO is. Can you tell me what exactly that means so that I will know in the future.

Thanks

Lawmann

BTW I did use your checking DMA status guide there but it is for XP and vista is different. It does not offer an advanced settings button to check that info. Please advise.

Thanks again

Lawmann