DVDFab HD rips slow to a crawl?

I have noticed when ripping my HD-DVDs that DVDFab will sometimes slow down to the point where it looks like nothing is happening, i.e. DVDFab shows 0 or 1 % in Task Manager and the “Estimated time to complete” goes to 5/6 hours or more. What is going on when this happens?

It is disconcerting to see the long rip times, but if I leave DVDFab alone it will eventually (like after 10 minutes or so) “wake up” and resume a reasonable rip pace (average 8-9Mbps). But it might slow to this <1% rate a couple/three/four times during the rip.

Ultimately the rip takes < an hour & a half, so if I ignore the above it works OK, I was wondering what is going on. I mean, if DVDFab was simply working to make sense of the disc, the CPU usage would be higher?

Using a P4 3.2GHz. Note also my HD-DVD drive and the target drive are both USB 2.0.

deleted repeat

[QUOTE=DukeOfUrl;1917930]I have noticed when ripping my HD-DVDs that DVDFab will sometimes slow down to the point where it looks like nothing is happening, i.e. DVDFab shows 0 or 1 % in Task Manager and the “Estimated time to complete” goes to 5/6 hours or more. What is going on when this happens?

It is disconcerting to see the long rip times, but if I leave DVDFab alone it will eventually (like after 10 minutes or so) “wake up” and resume a reasonable rip pace (average 8-9Mbps). But it might slow to this <1% rate a couple/three/four times during the rip.

Ultimately the rip takes < an hour & a half, so if I ignore the above it works OK, I was wondering what is going on. I mean, if DVDFab was simply working to make sense of the disc, the CPU usage would be higher?

Using a P4 3.2GHz. Note also my HD-DVD drive and the target drive are both USB 2.0.[/QUOTE]

I have been battling this issue myself. The problem lays in the driver / UDF reader, I believe. My original set up was using the Toshiba thdudf driver which worked with my USB connected drive and DVDFAB HD both versions including beta. I ran on three machines, all XP, one XP Media Center.

Without the Toshiba UDF installed, DVDFABHD would not see the HD-DVD in the machine. I also have PowerDVD installed (OEM+) and it can see the and play the HD DVD.

Like yours, the rip starts off strong 3-5mb/sec and can by 30% be at a .5mb/sec crawl Computer and memory resources are on idle.

I downloaded the InCD 5X from Nero and it combined with the Toshiba driver worked really well on my XP machine but not on my XP Media Center machine. I got 4mb/sec RISING to about 8-9mb/sec on the regular XP but the XP Media Center failed to see the HD DVD unless I uninstalled the InCD and then of course was very slow.

I would like to know, if I started off with a virgin machine, what would I have to add to in other than DVDFAB HD software to make it read an HD-DVD disc?

I would think UDF reader would be one thing but the one in InCD gave me the problem above and PowerDVD didn’t help. So then…What are people using?

BTW: I checked DMA settings but they only apply to IDE / ATAPI not USB which is what I use.

[QUOTE=laguna_b;1918129]USB …is what I use.[/QUOTE]Me too. Hmmm I thought by now someone would have answered “that’s the way it is” or whatever.

Are we the only ones to have seen this behaviour?

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/fab-wont-run-207910/

i dont really have an answer but just to give you something, there is an old thread around here where a fellow member was having trouble with a firewire external writer. in the long and frustrating process in getting fab to work other users commented on having slow read speeds with external usb drives. ultimately the member switched to all internal drives and fab ran great. as to a fix with your particular setup, sorry:( [B]I[/B] can not give you one.

troy

Thanks Troy…I might consider the experiment of taking my external HP drive apart and hooking it up as an ATA internal just to eliminate that as the problem (or fix it).

I did find that on my alternate XP set up, on another drive in the same machine, when Nero InCD 5x was installed, I got very good rip times with average xfer rates of about 7-9Mb/sec. When I installed InCD 5x on my Windows Media Center PC DVDFAB lost the ability to “see” the DVD-HD movie files. I tried all sorts of combos of installs to make it work to no avail. I sit here today considering redoing the entire Windows XP Media Center install and starting from scratch.

Do you happen to also rip to a USB drive? That’s what I do; maybe that’s the problem, reading from a USB HD-ROM drive and writng to a USB hard disk…

[QUOTE=DukeOfUrl;1918725]Do you happen to also rip to a USB drive? That’s what I do; maybe that’s the problem, reading from a USB HD-ROM drive and writng to a USB hard disk…[/QUOTE]

Nope, it is an internal SATA drive. BTW, ANYDVD rips USB HD-DVD to USB Hardrive at about 8mb/sec no problem.

I decided to rip out my entire Windows Media Center XP install and start from scratch just in case…

[QUOTE=laguna_b;1918730]I decided to rip out my entire Windows Media Center XP install and start from scratch just in case…[/QUOTE]Did that fix your problem?

I decided to instal it instead on a SCSI drive I had spare and after the 2 hours to get it stable it crashed and the partition was gone. In parallel, my partner installed it in the virtual machine on his Apple and got similar results to myself including the inability to properly uninstal Nero and its interference with the Toshiba driver/ UDF.

So for now I have given up on DVDFABHD as a solution and wondering still how others have gotten it to work correctly.

Hopefully more will be forthcoming with guidance…

[QUOTE=laguna_b;1921704]I have given up on DVDFABHD as a solution…[/QUOTE]I didn’t know you weren’t able to rip AT ALL w/DVDFab HD?

My rips work–I was just puzzled by the wierd slows-to-near-halt behavior. My “solution” is just to not watch it rip! Takes something over an hour.

Our experience is the same except that in one instance of XP I had on one of the machines (not Media Center) I was able to get it to rip at a great rate with InCD active. In ever other instance of InCD present it inhibited the Toshiba driver and DVDFABHD could not see the DVDHD disk.

I am using the triel of ANYDVD HD for my ripping for the time being and will switch to it permanently if I can’t get Fab to work right. I can’t beleive that after so many failure instances it won’t be fixed.

[QUOTE=laguna_b;1922981]I am using the triel of ANYDVD HD for my ripping for the time being[/QUOTE]Is that faster? Maybe I will do the same–DVDFab has no special features at the moment to distinguish it e.g. until it allows say “movie only” ripping of HD-DVD it doesn’t do anything else that I can see.

For me DVDFAB is a “prettier” interface. ANYDVD is free for 21 days and requires a seperate ripper also under the same umbrella. I get about 6-9mb/sec …yes, much faster than DVDFABHD right now.

Well, interestingly I got an iMac for a HTPC. I installed Windows XP through boot camp. I was able to view HD files on the explorer w/o installing the Toshiba drivers. I then installed ONLY DVDFAB HD decrypter and it seems to be ripping at about 4-8MB/sec!!! Increasing with time!