"DVDFab has encountered a problem..."

vbimport

“…and needs to close.”

Just started getting this message. Bummer! Thought about it and realized I had uninstalled Nero 9 Essentials from my system a week or so ago, and hadn’t used DVDFab since then.

I’ve followed SJ’s instructions for a clean uninstall, I think :). But I still get the same message, and fear I’ll never be able to back up my discs again.

I have a Dell 4500, Win XP, SP3, Pentium 4 2.00 Ghz :flower:

Can anyone help once again?

Thanks, Steve

On the face of things you’ve already done a full uninstall and reinstall but it’s possible that something has been left behind despite following SJ’s guide.

Alternatively there could be some conflict present on your system which could be difficult to troubleshoot.

Try uninstalling then cleaning up the orphaned registry entries with something like CCleaner before reinstalling.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2628554]
Alternatively there could be some conflict present on your system which could be difficult to troubleshoot.

Try uninstalling then cleaning up the orphaned registry entries with something like CCleaner before reinstalling.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Thanks, Wombler. I [I]did [/I]use CCleaner. DVDFab created a report which was sent. Will anything helpful come back to me from that, do you know?

Do you think the uninstall of Nero Essentials 9 might have been the cause? It was quite involved. Everything was working fine before that.

Thanks again, Steve.

Hi artie420

Please try the following…

Right click on the DVDFab icon on the desktop and select ‘Run as administrator’ if that works then on the DVDFab ‘Properties’ settings click on the compatibility’ tab at the very bottom under ‘Privilege Level’ place a check mark next to ‘Run this program as administrator’.

[B]SJ[/B]

I have Nero Essentials 9 Installed on my Vista OS. It came with a Samsung drive . I also have DVDFab platinum. I haven’t found any conflict as both seem to work. I rarely use Nero.

In your removal did you use the Nero General Clean Tool ?

http://www.nero.com/eng/tools-utilities.html

[QUOTE=cholla;2628574]I have Nero Essentials 9 Installed on my Vista OS. It came with a Samsung drive . I also have DVDFab platinum. I haven’t found any conflict as both seem to work. I rarely use Nero.

In your removal did you use the Nero General Clean Tool ?

Not sure Nero 9 Essentials is the cause of the problem unless the Nero burning ROM is selected as the default burn engine in which case switching to ImgBurn or the VSO should fix it if indeed that is the problem.

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2628576]Not sure Nero 9 Essentials is the cause of the problem unless the Nero burning ROM is selected as the default burn engine in which case switching to ImgBurn or the VSO should fix it if indeed that is the problem.

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]
DVDFab does offer the option of using Nero burning ROM so you may be correct. I would think the uninstall should have removed it but that may be the problem.
DVDFab is set to use Nero burning ROM & it is no longer on the OS.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2628576]Not sure Nero 9 Essentials is the cause of the problem unless the Nero burning ROM is selected as the default burn engine in which case switching to ImgBurn or the VSO should fix it if indeed that is the problem.

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]

I must admit I’d thought about that too but CCleaner would also remove the orphaned entries in the registry for Nero as well so it should be a clean slate.

It’s possible it’s missed something but I don’t know how likely that is.

The acid test would be to reinstall Nero and see if DVDFab now works.

If it does then disable Nero as the burning engine before uninstalling it and trying again.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2628573]Hi artie420

Please try the following…

Right click on the DVDFab icon on the desktop and select ‘Run as administrator’ if that works then on the DVDFab ‘Properties’ settings click on the compatibility’ tab at the very bottom under ‘Privilege Level’ place a check mark next to ‘Run this program as administrator’.

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]

I am the administrator, and the compatibility tab had no ‘privilege level’ option. But I tried ‘Run as Guest’ and the program opened!

I haven’t tried to back anything up yet. VSO came up as the selected burning engine, though I had been using ImgBurn.

DVDFab recognized me as a trial user when I run it as a guest. Could I get my registration key and just run it as a guest from now on?

Wombler mentioned reinstalling Nero as a test - I had already done that, no luck.

Grateful to you all for your help. :slight_smile:

Steve

Not a good solution but I read in another forum that if you continue to start DVDFab after you get this message & it closes it will eventually work.
Some also posted the “fabplay” registry fix helped. I don’t know why it would but might be worth a try . Jimbo posted it somewhere at club.myce.

I know it’s some work but I would do the clean uninstall again.
Then download a fresh installer & install.
Use “Run as administrator” with the installer.
copy your registration key & put it in again.
You might even try a Ctl + c copy on the key.
Then if DVDFab still gives the error message try the “fabplay” registry fix .
If all that doesn’t work I would install Nero 9 Essentials again to see if it puts back some system file it might have taken with it.

[QUOTE=artie420;2628651]I am the administrator, and the compatibility tab had no ‘privilege level’ option. But I tried ‘Run as Guest’ and the program opened!

I haven’t tried to back anything up yet. VSO came up as the selected burning engine, though I had been using ImgBurn.

DVDFab recognized me as a trial user when I run it as a guest. Could I get my registration key and just run it as a guest from now on?

Wombler mentioned reinstalling Nero as a test - I had already done that, no luck.

Grateful to you all for your help. :slight_smile:

Steve[/QUOTE]

You must be logged in as administrator so DVDFab can access the windows registry to verify the registration otherwise DVDFab will run in either trial mode or use the free HD decrypter.

Cholla is correct about the “fabplay” registry fix for XP w/SP3 users you may also want to make sure your graphic card driver is up to date which is the main issue for most XP users using the QT version of DVDFab.

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=cholla;2628683]
Some also posted the “fabplay” registry fix helped. I don’t know why it would but might be worth a try . Jimbo posted it somewhere at club.myce.

I know it’s some work but I would do the clean uninstall again.
Then download a fresh installer & install.
Use “Run as administrator” with the installer.
copy your registration key & put it in again.
You might even try a Ctl + c copy on the key.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks, cholla. I haven’t had much time to play with this. I’ve already done the clean uninstall 2X. There’s only 2 user options on the machine - me and ‘guest’ – so i guess that makes me the administrator by default…correct? I can’t do anything with the registration key because DVDFab needs to close as soon as it opens.

[B]But running DVDFab as a guest:[/B]

I was able to make a back up copy of War Horse, though it wasn’t effortless. Had IMGBurn set as burning engine, but on launch i got error message “failed to initialize the burning engine”; changed to VSO burning engine with my burner as the target and didn’t get the error message, but the burn failed immediately.

When I try to create target folders in my usual directory, it doesn’t show them in the ‘browse for folder’ box, but explorer shows they’re there? But i did get it ripped to the apparent default target directory, ignoring multiple read error messages, and then used IMGBurn to burn it successfully. Will watch the backup this weekend to see how it came out.

It might be time for me to let go… streaming more, purchasing less. Maybe read more!

Thanks all for the help!

Steve

I did check out this problem on the internet & that was where I got some of the suggestions I made. I haven’t had this problem or any other one to speak of with
DVDFab , At least from doing usual things. I’m not satisfied with their split process & their conversion to other formats doesn’t work well for me .
Although I have ImgBurn set to use as the burning engine I usually rip to the harddrive ,
close DVDFab & then start & burn with ImgBurn by itself.

I use a password login on my old computer That has WindowsXP Pro SP3 .
This shows administrator on top of the login “window” . If that helps.
In the Control Panel click User Accounts I only have two Administrator & Guest.

My thoughts were that a complete uninstall would remove the registration key.
I will see what I can figure out but maybe SJ can say for sure . I only have the free version on Windows XP & the platinum on Vista.So I can’t search for the location in the registry in XP for the registration key.
Does DVDFab ask for it when you have done a complete unimstall & are installing a fresh version ?
Have you tried to start DVDFab in [B]Safe[/B] mode ?
Maybe it will let you start it as administrator from there.
As “Guest” see if DVDFab will let you do this:
First do a “Copy” of the key.
Click the question mark in the upper right of the GUI.
Select “About”. In the window that comes up Select " Enter Registration Key".
It should auto enter the copied key. Then Select register.
If you can’t do that maybe SJ knows how to get the "Welcome " screen to come up before DVDFab starts. Most people check the box for it not to show again. I think there is a registry setting to get it to appear again.

@ artie420

Why are you running DVDFab within two different user accounts ? not sure but I would think doing so would create issues due to different entries in the windows registry for each user accounts.

You said you did a clean uninstall and it didn’t help, when you did the uninstall did you also remove all traces of DVDFab in the other user account ?

[B]SJ[/B]

I’m going with SJ on his last post .
Do a clean uninstall from both Administrator & Guest account.
Then install to the Administrator account.

[QUOTE=cholla;2628981]I’m going with SJ on his last post .
Do a clean uninstall from both Administrator & Guest account.
Then install to the Administrator account.[/QUOTE]

:wink:

@ artie420

Since the registry keeps a record better known as pointers in the registry hive ‘Current User’ on each user, I will also suggest you log on to each user account and run a registry cleaner before attempting to re-install DVDFab.

BTW…Registry cleaners don’t always remove all the entries in the registry so I do recommend checking the registry manually for any entries of DVDFab that may have been left behind…(use guide as reference)

Tis my .02¢

[B]SJ[/B]

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2628977]@ artie420

Why are you running DVDFab within two different user accounts ? not sure but I would think doing so would create issues due to different entries in the windows registry for each user accounts.

You said you did a clean uninstall and it didn’t help, when you did the uninstall did you also remove all traces of DVDFab in the other user account ?

[B]SJ[/B][/QUOTE]

Well, this was my first ‘real’ computer when I hauled it out of the box 10 yrs ago or so. I only know a little more now than I did then - so I just googled the difference between administrator, standard and guest accounts.

I guess I’ve been using an administrator account (if there’s a password, both the machine and I have long since forgotten it), since I’ve got full reign to install or uninstall anything I want – there may be the rub!

I tried running DVDFab with the guest account as a result of your suggestion to try running it as the administrator, which I was already doing. But I thought your point was to see if another user account would be able to run it, so I tried it.

So to answer your question, I haven’t tried the clean uninstall on either account since first using the guest account.

Based on what’s happened so far, I don’t think it’s worth it to me to spend the time trying to get this system restored so I can once again run DVDFab (and I don’t think I’ll be buying a new machine anytime soon). But I’ll bookmark this thread in case I change my mind.

Thanks to you and others for all the help now and in the past.

Steve

@ artie420 , You still might try the [B]Safe[/B] mode suggestion I made above.
You won’t have to do the clean uninstall to try it.
I’m kind of curious to see if DVDFab will open from Admistrator account in [B]Safe[/B] mode without closing.
If you don’t want to try it I understand.

[QUOTE=cholla;2629215]@ artie420 , You still might try the [B]Safe[/B] mode suggestion I made above.
You won’t have to do the clean uninstall to try it.
I’m kind of curious to see if DVDFab will open from Admistrator account in [B]Safe[/B] mode without closing.
If you don’t want to try it I understand.[/QUOTE]

I just tried safe mode and DVDFab will open from the administrator account (and I’ve been using a standard account all along, I see?!).

The burn engine was set to VSO (i don’t believe I’d ever had it set to Nero, btw). When I changed it to IMGBurn and restarted DVDFab again while still in safe mode it displayed the error message “failed to initialize the burn engine…”

Does it show your location of ImgBurn in C:\ProgramFiles\ImgBurn\ImgBurn.exe
Like in the image below :