DVDFab Gold4.0.1.2, chapters out of order, episodic dvd,

Hello all. I ask up front that you please bear with me as although I’m trying to educate myself about things computer and burn-y, it’s hard to find info sites out there that will explain terminology and processes from the bottom up. So, if I seem clueless, I am! :confused:

I have bought a set of dvd’s of a childrens tv series. Each disk has about 6 episodes on it. In trying to back it up with DVD Gold 4.0.1.2, I use the “Full Disk” option, while asking it to go directly to the main menu, and remove the warnings.

I copied the first disk onto the computer hard drive. Then I burned the DVD9. When I placed it in the DVD player to test it, it went to the main menu, which shows snapshots of the first episode. You can either choose to play a chapter, or play the whole episode. But regardless of which I chose, it wouldn’t play. Eventually it showed the message “Disk Error”. After the DVD player freezing, refusing to give back the disk, etc, I shut off the machine and somehow got it to play after turning it back on…starting at episode 2.

I put it into the computer and it played fine. I also went to the files in the “Full Disk” folder, clicked on a random file, and all the episodes and menu’s worked and played beautifully from episode 1, on.

I opened it up in DVDFab Gold, looking at the chapters in the “Main Movie” option. It showed that episode 1 had been named title7, episode 2 was title1, episode 3 was title 2, and so on.

I have no idea how to rename the files in the folder as I have no way to know how to understand what I’m looking at. Would burning at at a set low speed instead of “recommended speed” help? I have read here that there are often problems with chapter order when trying to back up a dvd that has episodes on it. So far no-one has come up with a solution, or at least one that I can understand.

I would really like to back up all 6 of these disks as I don’t want my nieces getting their grubby little hands on the originals. Can anyone help me out here with clear and easily understood advice? Or maybe one of the DVDFab authors might read this and offer a fix? I am considering downloading the latest beta version (4.0.1.6, Dec 1 2007) but have been warned about the dangers of bugs in beta’s.

Any assistance is appreciated. Thank-you.

I would like to add something else that I’ve noticed while investigating the files in the folder. Episode 1 seems to be the problem here. While the other episodes seem to have names starting with VTS_01_, episode 1 is split into two; VTS_02_01, and VTS_02_02.

Transferring to the DVD Fab forum…

Thanks for the redirect.
I think the problem lies with the dvd set up; when playing the originals, episode 1 is always numbered last. ie, episode1 will show on the display as “chapter 6”, while episode 2 will be “chapter 1”, episode 3 will be “chapter 2”, and so on. It’s the same type of numbering for each disk, and there are 6 disks with 6 episodes each.
I think the dvd maker has done this to make copying difficult. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how to correct this for copying?

Thank-you.

Hi, rme. I’m not sure I understand how your original DVD is put together. Are the episodes all in one title (running time=total for all), or is each one a separate title(as listed by DVDFab)? The Platinum version could easily rearrange the material using Customize or Merge mode (and “Advanced Title Settings”) to play the episodes back in any order you choose.

Hi, signals.
DVDFab Gold lists 6 titles in the Main Movie view. From top to bottom, it is 7, 3, 5, 4, 1, 2. Title 7 is episode 1, 3 is episode 4, title 5 is episode 6, title 4 is episode 5, title 1 is episode 2, title 2 is episode 3.

In the folder holding the VOB’s, etc, episode 1 has been split into two separate VOB’s (VTS_02_01, and VTS_02_02) etc. All other episodes are whole, in just one VOB each. Somehow, I need to join those first two files and get them to show in “Main Movie” view as first, or find a way to get things to follow the correct order and play smoothly, one after another.
I hope I can be understood. I’m confused myself!

If possible I would like to find a freeware solution, or some way to fix this in the program I’ve already paid for, DVDFab Gold.

Thanks for helping! :slight_smile:

You could try running what you have through FixVts, but I would make a copy of the folder first just in case. Open up the folder & FixVts, then drag the first VOB file in to FixVts, make sure all three boxes are checked, then click Full Dvd.

Rme, DVDShrink’s re-author mode will do this for you, or if this is the only DVD with this type of problem you have, you could download Platinum and use it for a 30-day free trial; both are no cost solutions. It makes no difference that one episode is split across 2 VOBs, the IFO file will tell whichever application you use how to string it all together. Gold is not made for jobs like this. If you use DVDShrink, add the titlesets in the order you want them to play or add them all and use the up/down arrows to change the order. Neither Fab nor Shrink will have any menus if you use the Customize or Re-Author modes to rearrange the titles. I am still not sure why the Full Disc backup you made did not work correctly.

P.S. There is a discounted upgrade path to Platinum for registered Gold users. I think it is $19.95 (last time I looked).

[quote=rme;1945869]Hi, signals.
DVDFab Gold lists 6 titles in the Main Movie view. From top to bottom, it is 7, 3, 5, 4, 1, 2. Title 7 is episode 1, 3 is episode 4, title 5 is episode 6, title 4 is episode 5, title 1 is episode 2, title 2 is episode 3.

In the folder holding the VOB’s, etc, episode 1 has been split into two separate VOB’s (VTS_02_01, and VTS_02_02) etc. All other episodes are whole, in just one VOB each. Somehow, I need to join those first two files and get them to show in “Main Movie” view as first, or find a way to get things to follow the correct order and play smoothly, one after another.
I hope I can be understood. I’m confused myself!

If possible I would like to find a freeware solution, or some way to fix this in the program I’ve already paid for, DVDFab Gold.

Thanks for helping! :)[/quote]

Thank-you all for your suggestions. In time I’ll look into all of them. For now, though, I say an extra thank-you to Signals to letting me know that DVDShrink could help :flower:. I’d seen it around but couldn’t figure out what it did. Now, I’ve moved around those pesky titles, removed extra’s, and now just have to find a program that will let me burn to a single layer DVD!

You guys are great!

rme.