DVDFab format question - which file do I play?

vbimport

I have successfully used DVDFab to copy DVDs (and remove the protection) to my hard drive and then use IMGBurn to make a DVD copy. I recently thought I might save the step of burning a physical DVD copy – so I copied the movie folder which included an Audio_TS folder and a Video_TS folder (which also had vob, bup, ifo, … files in it) to a usb thumb drive. I put the usb thumb drive into my Samsung Smart TV. But here is where I need the help. I did not know which folder and which file to click on and play the movie.

I had another movie that was already in .avi format. I copied that to the usb thumb drive. This one was easy because it was simply 1 file. I clicked on the .avi file and it played without any problems. But I could not figure out the movie folders (Video_TS) and which file is the one that I actually click on to play.

This isn’t an answer to your question because your TV’s electronics will be the source of THAT answer. “Which file will it recognize or need?” may be covered in the owner’s manual OR at that website.

On our media servers - which are Windows, Mac or Linux computers - I use the VIDEO_TS.IFO file as the ‘starting point’. This seems to be the genuine starting point for DVD players. On computers, I “associate” this .IFO file with starting up the Media Player, however. (It’s also the Menu’s Shortcut Target-File - so clicking on the on-screen menu’s icon for this particular movie activates this VIDEO_TS.IFO file, which then plays all the subsequent files as if it was a physical DVD.)

I’m not certain this is how your TV will react, though. It may only ‘read and play’ AVIs or perhaps a select other single-file formats.

[QUOTE=ChristineBCW;2707416]This isn’t an answer to your question because your TV’s electronics will be the source of THAT answer. “Which file will it recognize or need?” may be covered in the owner’s manual OR at that website.

On our media servers - which are Windows, Mac or Linux computers - I use the VIDEO_TS.IFO file as the ‘starting point’. This seems to be the genuine starting point for DVD players. On computers, I “associate” this .IFO file with starting up the Media Player, however. (It’s also the Menu’s Shortcut Target-File - so clicking on the on-screen menu’s icon for this particular movie activates this VIDEO_TS.IFO file, which then plays all the subsequent files as if it was a physical DVD.)

I’m not certain this is how your TV will react, though. It may only ‘read and play’ AVIs or perhaps a select other single-file formats.[/QUOTE]

I will try the .ifo file. Thanks for the info!

@ texasjackson , I can’t say how your TV works but my Sharp Aquos only sees the .vobs . On this type rip .I just select the first .vob & it plays all of them. There is a slight load screen between .vobs as it changes to the next one. That’s not much bother to me but it might be to some people.