DVDFab for Mac

vbimport

Hi all, changed emails, lost my password, had to re-register as Grandmamabird (was Mamabird). The “Grand” part was Maineman’s idea some couple of years ago or so, I think, since I am now a Grandmother.

Anyway, I finally made the jump to Mac, bought the “full court press” since I figured I’d need it someday anyway, but now have what seems like a “dumb” question. I have looked and looked, but I just cannot find where to access preferences or options anywhere in the interface. I’m not highly skilled with the Mac interface yet, but I’ve never had this much trouble finding the settings before, so I’m thinking it must be staring me in the face and I just can’t see it for some reason.

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated, although I do feel a little silly having to ask something that should be so simple!

Thanks for any help!

Grandmamabird, formerly Mamabird

I don’t have a Mac but I know the interface is different to the PC version.

On the Mac version to access the ‘Common Settings’ screen you need to go to the DVDFab menu entry in the Mac interface and select ‘Preferences’.

If you’re interested in recovering your old user account or merging it into the new one, let me know and I’ll ask someone to look at this for you.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler. :slight_smile: I keep forgetting that the functionality of programs is situated at what seems to me to be “outside” the program itself, i.e. up in the always-present bar at the top of the computer screen. Still haven’t figured out all the in’s and out’s of using a Mac as this is my first one, not yet sure it’s entirely worth the extra effort. It is nice not to have to worry about conflicts, viruses, constant rebooting and slow start ups inherent in using a Windows machine, but the frustration of learning how to use a Mac OS in a Windows world makes me wonder if I did the right thing at times.

Anyway, not sure if I’m in the right place for this, but if anyone out there has the DVDFab for Mac I would really appreciate some pointers, or how-to section or something. I looked at what is available in the help section on the commercial website, but I couldn’t find an answer to another problem I’m having. That is, I copied a couple of my DVD’s, saved to file then tried to burn later using the burn engine in DVDFab. But it won’t load the whole program to be burned, just one file at a time. I don’t know if it’s the burn program I’m not used to and not selecting the file right, or what. I’ve always used Image Burn for that when I had a PC, but of course that’s not made for the Mac OS, so I don’t know what to do about that.

Thanks for any help! It is comforting to know that even after all this time, this board and all the folks are here, still going strong!

Cheers to one and all!
Grandmamabird

P.S. I don’t really care if this account is rolled into my previous one, unless someone thinks it’s really necessary. My life is so crazy busy, I can’t spend much time on the boards anyway. Like I said, it’s just comforting to me to know you all are still here holding the fort down! Awesome!:wink:

Hi again…

Sorry to bother everyone since most here are PC people, but I made the switch to Mac; now thinking I may have made a big mistake and wasted nearly $300 buckaroos getting the full-blown everything for Mac in DVDFab. (Not using the Blu-ray yet, but figured it would save money in the long run to get the lifetime “everything” at the outset, and I already know DVDFab’s good track record, having used the PC version since 2008!)

So, admittedly I’m struggling with a huge learning curve already, going from PC to Mac, but I just can’t get any DVD burning software (for Mac of course) to see any of the DVD files I’ve copied into my DVDFab folder as being valid. That is, none of the *.vob files are seen as valid by any DVD burning programs I can find, including the one in DVDFab itself.

If there are any Mac-savvy folks in this forum, please, please help! I know they/we are few and far between, but I just feel so “dumb”!

And, I live with (actually raising!) my 3-yr-old grandson, and he gets such a kick out of being able to put his DVDs in his little player by himself - and it means that if he can do that, I can sometimes watch what I want on [I]my[/I] DVD - big plus for me! But, as you can imagine, he is very hard on those DVD’s and although I’ve copied/converted all his favorites and saved them to hard disk, i.e. Disney stuff and “Little Bear” mostly, I really need to be able to get the copies made because my original disks are not going to last much longer and I’ve shelled out quite a few $$$ on all those DVD’s. I would really like to keep the originals safe if possible…well, that [I]is[/I] the point of all this, right?

Anyway, I really am at my wit’s end, I know I’m probably just doing something wrong, but I just can’t figure out what I’m doing and none of the “help” files seem to be helping at all: any help would be deeply appreciated.

Thanks,
Grandmamabird, formerly Mamabird

Note: I’m using one of the latest Mac Pros, Lion OS, not using Boot Camp, Parallel, VM or anything like that. I figured if I was gonna go Mac, I wasn’t gonna go back, as they say, and having a virtual machine really negates one of the main reasons to go Mac in the first place, i.e., virus, malware and other expensive and time-consuming problems endemic to PC, not to mention the whole “Windows sucking up all your system resources” issue which was always a constant pain in my backside! Just my opinion of course, but a big reason why I finally made the switch I’ve been threatening for years! Also, now that I have an iPhone, I almost never have to deal with Microsoft except at work and others can manage that; so overall, I’m much happier while computing! (Except for the issue noted above which I hope can get solved!)

Well, not to belabor the point, but I’m guessing I’m the only Mac person here? That’s okay if that’s the case; it’s just so unusual not to get an enlightening, informative and oft-times life-saving answer within 24 hours or so on this forum. (And I have a hard time believing that so much time and effort went into developing and producing a software program that few, if any, besides myself is interested in! :wink: )

If anyone is at all interested, so far I found that if I just re-do the DVD in *.iso format, I can burn it in that format, at least in Express Burn which I was able to get free on a trial basis. After paying out $$$ for another program that didn’t work, and apparently there isn’t a burn program in DVDFab that works on a Mac at all, I decided I would only experiment with programs that provide a free trial until I find a combo that works. Express Burn was the only program I found so far for Mac OS that gives full capabilities for a limited time before requiring payment. (Some of my DVDs are likely already ruined so I need to find some way to get this to work ASAP.) I can get it to work in the iso format, but it would be nice to have more latitude with the setting up and burning of the program. Heck, it would be nice to converse with anyone knowledgeable on the subject of using DVDFab on a Mac - just in general!!

I realize there aren’t that many of us out here, but surely since they’ve developed this thing for Mac, there are others…? Somewhere? Maybe a separate forum or section in the forum could be formed for Mac users? Surely I’m not the only one here that has finally had it with Microsoft/Windows? Anyone?

Signed:
Waiting with bated breath…:kiss:
(Grandmamabird)

[QUOTE=Grandmamabird;2634109]Thanks Wombler. :slight_smile: I keep forgetting that the functionality of programs is situated at what seems to me to be “outside” the program itself, i.e. up in the always-present bar at the top of the computer screen. Still haven’t figured out all the in’s and out’s of using a Mac as this is my first one, not yet sure it’s entirely worth the extra effort. It is nice not to have to worry about conflicts, viruses, constant rebooting and slow start ups inherent in using a Windows machine, but the frustration of learning how to use a Mac OS in a Windows world makes me wonder if I did the right thing at times.

Anyway, not sure if I’m in the right place for this, but if anyone out there has the DVDFab for Mac I would really appreciate some pointers, or how-to section or something. I looked at what is available in the help section on the commercial website, but I couldn’t find an answer to another problem I’m having. That is, I copied a couple of my DVD’s, saved to file then tried to burn later using the burn engine in DVDFab. But it won’t load the whole program to be burned, just one file at a time. I don’t know if it’s the burn program I’m not used to and not selecting the file right, or what. I’ve always used Image Burn for that when I had a PC, but of course that’s not made for the Mac OS, so I don’t know what to do about that.

Thanks for any help! It is comforting to know that even after all this time, this board and all the folks are here, still going strong!

Cheers to one and all!
Grandmamabird

P.S. I don’t really care if this account is rolled into my previous one, unless someone thinks it’s really necessary. My life is so crazy busy, I can’t spend much time on the boards anyway. Like I said, it’s just comforting to me to know you all are still here holding the fort down! Awesome!;)[/QUOTE]

My pleasure Grandmamabird and glad to be of some assistance to you.

Sorry for the delay in replying but I’ve been on holiday for the last two weeks. :slight_smile:

Macs are an alien concept to me so I’m feeling in the dark here a bit but it sounds to me like you’re generating a fileset then trying to burn the files to DVD.

If you’ve done it that way then you’ll need separate burning software to burn the files to disc.

If you want DVDFab to do it for you then go to ‘Common Settings’ >> DVDCopy and change the ‘Default Output Type’ drop down menu to ‘DVD Writer’.

When the DVD has been processed DVDFab should then burn the output to disc.

If that’s not right get back to me though and I’ll see if we can take this further.

The stuff online for the Mac version is very scarce though and I’m not familiar with the Mac O/S.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks Wombler. Just to let you know, I tried starting another thread, thinking to drum up some business for us - apparently - few and far between Mac folks. (I may be the only one in fact. :sad:)

Anyway, I am trying to burn them to a file. I live with my 3-yr-old grandson and have saved the DVD copies to hard disc because he he’s pretty hard on his copy and I think it would just be easier to burn another copy from a saved file rather than having to run the original through the copy/decode process again and again.

In the past, i.e. pre-Mac, I could save it to file, then open Image Burn and select the title of the DVD, select the layer break if necessary, and away it went! Not so with this. No matter what burn program I use, it will ultimately only take a few of the *.vob files, but not all, certainly not the entire program. I have found, as I mentioned in the other “thread” I started (I’ve had no response yet so not sure we can call it a real thread!) - if I save it to *.iso format, then I can use Express Burn (in trial mode at this point), to write the entire DVD to disk. Of course I can’t select a layer break with that but it seems to play on my DVD player and his little player okay.

I don’t know, maybe it’s a Mac thing, and I’m still in learning curve mode, but I can’t even find much info on the Apple Website or other Mac forums as to what exactly is going on with burning DVDs, with any program.

So I’m stumped at this point, though I’ve found a satisfactory solution for now. I would like to have a better understanding of how it all works, but I never really fully understood it with PC either, so that may be asking a little much! :wink:

If you find anything out, like I should be doing something different, let me know. I would suggest maybe a separate forum for Mac OS with DVDFab, but obviously there’s not enough interest for that!

Again, thanks for at least trying to help!

Grandmamabird

I’ve merged these threads as it was getting a bit confusing.

The Mac version of DVDFab has a built in burning component which you can use as I’ve described above.

As far as I can tell (as I can’t test this myself) you should also be able to burn your existing files using DVDFab if you select the folder you’ve previously produced as the input for DVDFab.

As the files have already been processed it should jump straight to the burning phase.

If you want a standalone burning package then Burn seems to be the best of the freeware solutions available.

I’ve no personal experience of it but it seems to be regularly recommended by others.

[B]Wombler[/B]