DVDFab failed to get DVD Information

I own “Swordfish” and wanted to make a backup copy of it using DVDFab.

So I downloaded and installed:

DVDFabHDDecrypter3210.exe

and rebooted,

And I get the error message in the subject line after starting DVDFab from the quick launch bar. It happens no matter which burner I put the disc in.

I also get a popup screen that wants to load “Interactual Player 2.0” which I decline.

I did not uninstall AnyDVD before installing DVDFab, but AnyDVD is not running when I get this error message.

I then start AnyDVD and it has no problem ripping to the HDD.

Win2k SP4

Suggestions?

Try turning off autoplay for the optical drive.

With on-the-fly decrytpers such as AnyDVD, dvd43…it’s not sufficient just to not open and not run them. You have to completely exit or disable them.
Access layer conflicts are likely since AnyDVD is essentially a driver that runs in the background.

You should be able to exit it from the quick launch.
Personally, I do the following and then there’s no worry:
Start > Run > msconfig > Startup > Disable AnyDVD
and reboot. You can always open it manually if you need it.

[Edit]
Sorry, forgot to add…
Yup, agree with my good friend signals, turn off autoplay… :iagree:

I already had AnyDVD disabled from startup. I only start it when I need it and then exit it (nothing in the system tray).

[Edit]
Sorry, forgot to add…
Yup, agree with my good friend signals, turn off autoplay… :iagree:

I had autoplay turned off in TweakUI, but apparently one of these programs decided to turn it back on again. That’s fixed now.

Now, since AnyDVD is NOT loaded (as a process), what’s next? DVDInfoPro has no problem reading the parameters from the DVD.

I could uninstall AnyDVD, but would I then need to re-install this evaluation copy of DVDFab?

If anyone here has used both, then how much better do they think one is compared to the other?

Hi lasitter,
It is not necessary to uninstall AnyDVD or DVDFab. For AnyDVD it is real enough when it is turned off. Both programs are well tolerated on the computer. Only at the same time they are not allowed to run.

OK, just to be thorough I uninstalled AnyDVD, DVDFabHDDecrypter, and installed the trial version of the Platinum:

DVDFabPlatinum3210.exe

And I get the exact same error message.

I’m very disappointed. For such a great program, why can’t I get past first base?

Lots of other stuff likes my hardware just fine: DVD Identifier, DVDInfoPro, DVD Rebuilder, DVDShrink, RipIt4Me, Image Burn, CD Burn XP Pro, VOB Blanker, etc.

What is magic about DVDFab?

have you tried insert the dvd and waiting to decline the interactual player, then open dvdfab with disable pathplayer?

just for reference i have just backed up my copy of swordfish to hard drive main movie, with pathplayer always enabled, 2 retries, skip 16 sectors and enable read-ahead cache.

does your original have alot of scratches or a few bad looking sections?

Would not read “Light Sleeper” either.

does your original have alot of scratches or a few bad looking sections?
Both disks are pristine, and DVD Decrypter backed them up without a problem.