DVDFab dependent on drive letters

vbimport

Hi, all.

Just thought I mention a problem with DVDFab Decrypter I found, in the hopes that public embarrassment will prompt more action than some random bug report emailed in. :slight_smile:

I have several partitions I use for holding my DVD rips during backup processing. I didn’t want to waste a load of drive letters on these, so I mounted them in an NTFS folder (as described in this thread). In DVDFab, when you hit “Start” to begin the backup process, it apparently reads free space on the target by querying the drive letter, not the partition of the target as it should (something programs as old as DVD Shrink get right). Since my main partition recently went fairly low on free space, I can no longer target these partitions in DVDFab without going in and temporarily assigning drive letters to them as well and telling DVDFab to use these letters, because otherwise it thinks there’s not going to be enough free space and refuses to proceed. :frowning:

Please fix, Fengtao! :bow:

[quote=Atario;2160942]Hi, all.

Just thought I mention a problem with DVDFab Decrypter I found, [B]in the hopes that public embarrassment[/B] will prompt more action than some random bug report emailed in. :slight_smile:

I have several partitions I use for holding my DVD rips during backup processing. I didn’t want to waste a load of drive letters on these, so I mounted them in an NTFS folder (as described in this thread). In DVDFab, when you hit “Start” to begin the backup process, it apparently reads free space on the target by querying the drive letter, not the partition of the target as it should (something programs as old as DVD Shrink get right). Since my main partition recently went fairly low on free space, I can no longer target these partitions in DVDFab without going in and temporarily assigning drive letters to them as well and telling DVDFab to use these letters, because otherwise it thinks there’s not goiYeah right ng to be enough free space and refuses to proceed. :frowning:

Please fix, Fengtao! :bow:[/quote]
"in the hopes that public embarrassment will prompt more action"
Yeah… right, how do you figure :rolleyes:

“Please fix” ? fix what
The method you are talking about is used by very few if any DVDFab users plus it is also not a feature of DVDFab

There is a “Feature Request Thread” if you want Fengtao to support this feature, but don’t hold your breath :smiley:

Have a nice day :flower:

[quote=Atario;2160942]Hi, all.

Just thought I mention a problem with DVDFab Decrypter I found, in the hopes that public embarrassment will prompt more action than some random bug report emailed in. :)[/quote]Wrong attitude. As SJ noted, you are using an OS trick to provide a non-supported feature. Is MS charging per drive letter now? Put it in the Feature Request thread.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2160974]"in the hopes that public embarrassment will prompt more action"
“Please fix” ? fix what
[/QUOTE]:iagree:

Requesting a feature that virtually no one wants (never seen it requested in the past 5 years) by attempting to publicly humiliate the developer.
Classic.
Good luck with that.

[QUOTE=signals;2161078] Is MS charging per drive letter now? [/QUOTE]
LMAO

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2160974]"in the hopes that public embarrassment will prompt more action"
[/QUOTE]

Because I’m a software developer. I know how these things get prioritized in real life. :wink:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2160974]“Please fix” ? fix what[/QUOTE]

Using an incorrect method to determine free space on the target. I thought I’d made that clear.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2160974]The method you are talking about is used by very few if any DVDFab users plus it is also not a feature of DVDFab

There is a “Feature Request Thread” if you want Fengtao to support this feature, but don’t hold your breath :smiley:

Have a nice day :flower:[/QUOTE]

They write their product for Windows, and that’s the way Windows works. Doing an action-prohibiting free space check by extracting the drive letter of the target is simply incorrect. This makes it a bug.

You have a nice day too. :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=signals;2161078]Wrong attitude.[/QUOTE]

My attitude is grounded in reality. See above.

[QUOTE=signals;2161078]As SJ noted, you are using an OS trick to provide a non-supported feature.[/QUOTE]

Mounting a partition in a folder is no more of an “OS trick” than is virtual memory or multiple monitors – it’s a fully-supported, explicitly-specified feature.

And last time I checked, writing to the partition of your choice was, in fact, supported by DVDFab, otherwise why give an interface to select a target at all?

[QUOTE=signals;2161078]Is MS charging per drive letter now?[/QUOTE]

Microsoft doesn’t charge for drive letters, but they do limit you to 26, tops. This becomes a problem eventually.

[QUOTE=signals;2161078]Put it in the Feature Request thread.[/QUOTE]

The fact remains that DVDFab is doing something incorrectly. Belittling the fact will not make it go away.

[QUOTE=maineman;2161094]virtually no one wants (never seen it requested in the past 5 years)[/QUOTE]

Gee, I wonder why no one pipes up with this kind of info around here. It’s not like they would get a bunch of static and opposition for doing so, right? After all, this is a supportive community that strives for excellence in all things, particularly discouraging faults in the products they use.

Maybe it’s a hardware/software double standard. “This drive does _____ wrong” = valid complaint; “this software does _____ wrong” = invalid complaint. Am I close?

[quote=Atario;2161532]They write their product for Windows, and that’s the way Windows works. Doing an action-prohibiting free space check by extracting the drive letter of the target is simply incorrect. This makes it a bug.

You have a nice day too. :bigsmile:[/quote]
[B]“They write their product for Windows”[/B]
That is true, but for a normal system configuration settings…not one that has been modified :rolleyes:

[B]“and that’s the way Windows works”[/B]
That is not the way Windows was designed to works, it is calld a system tweak done by the user to overide/bypass a systems normal process :doh:

[B]“Doing an action-prohibiting free space check by extracting the drive letter of the target is simply incorrect.”[/B]
prohibiting free space :confused:
There is no extracting of any drive letter, the drive letter is simply used as a directory location purpose for data :Dwhich is not “simply incorrect” :disagree:

[B]“This makes it a bug.”[/B]
Only with your modified/tweaked system configuration :iagree:

Have a nice weekend :flower:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2161622][B]“They write their product for Windows”[/B]
That is true, but for a normal system configuration settings…not one that has been modified :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Have you changed your wallpaper from the default? Then you “modified” “your system configuration settings” and can no longer expect DVDFab to work. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2161622][B]“and that’s the way Windows works”[/B]
That is not the way Windows was designed to works, it is calld a system tweak done by the user to overide/bypass a systems normal process :doh:[/QUOTE]

Really? So by clicking on a dialog box provided by Microsoft as a standard part of every single copy of Windows, I’ve done something the system wasn’t designed to do? Amazing. :eek:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2161622][B]“Doing an action-prohibiting free space check by extracting the drive letter of the target is simply incorrect.”[/B]
prohibiting free space :confused:[/QUOTE]

A messagebox that says something like “you don’t have enough free space there” and an OK button, which, when clicked, cancels the action you were trying to take. A check for free space which prohibits further action if not passed. An action-prohibiting free space check.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2161622]There is no extracting of any drive letter, the drive letter is simply used as a directory location purpose for data :Dwhich is not “simply incorrect” :disagree:[/QUOTE]

I have no idea what you just meant to say. Did you?

Let’s say you tell it to write to “E:\some\path o he arget”. Instead of checking the free space available in “E:\some\path o he arget”, it checks the free space in “E:”. This is, in fact, simply incorrect. Get it?

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2161622][B]“This makes it a bug.”[/B]
Only with your modified/tweaked system configuration :iagree:[/QUOTE]

Watch out for that wallpaper! :sad:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2161622]Have a nice weekend :flower:[/QUOTE]

You too. :iagree: