DVDFab Decrypter -> Nero Express for dual layer

vbimport

For single layer burning, workflow has been DVDFab Decrypter -> DVDShrink -> Nero Express.
DVDShrink is too slow on my P-III. To speed up the process, I’d like to do some dual layer burning. Does DVDFab Decrypter preserve layer break in the ‘full disk’ mode, if that made sense at all? Will I be able to use the resultant VIDEO_TS folder in Nero Express to burn a proper DVD9 disc?

Hi hondak24
Welcome to the DVDFab forum
If you are using DVDFab Decrypter and you want to preserve the layer breaks then you will want to make a change in common settings.
To open common settings click on the button at the top right that has a icon that looks like a gear and click on the small drop down, now on the left side click on PROTECTION and un-check the box for REMOVE LAYER BREAK and click OK

Hope this helps you

That was easy - thanks!

Anytime :cool:

Hi, storm. I too have a question on that. What does that setting do? Here is basically what I want to know. I have that checked and have made an iso of a dvd9 movie. As a test, I first tried Nero with verbatim discs. Movies don’t play well in my dvd player. Next, I tried IMGBurn. Movies play fine. IMGBurn asks me to pick the layer spot. Is DVDFab doing this for me? Also, if I don’t have success with Nero 7, is it likely I wouldn’t if I choose Nero 7 as my burner in DVDFab? Right now it’s set to VSO.

P.S. I am waiting on some more DL discs, that’s why I can’t test any of this right now.

Hello miclus
Welcome to the DVDFab forum
If the box is checked then DVDFab will remove the layer Breaks, DVDFab Platinum or Gold will re-calculate the position of the Layer Breaks on the Disc you are burning on.
The reason ImgBurn asked you to pick a spot is because the Layer Breaks was removed by DVDFab, not sure if Nero calculates for Layer Breaks never use it although I do have it on my system.

Hope this answered your question :cool:

Thanks. This DVDFab might be my new favorite program. One more thing: what would be a reason someone would uncheck that layer break box? I mean for practical purposes, what will that let you do compared to leaving it checked?

Well like you said before when you left it checked and went to burn with Nero it had problems playing which may be caused from the Layer Breaks was removed, and if you un-check the box then Nero would not have that problem because the Layer Breaks was not removed

Thanks to StormJumper, I can confirm the method of unchecking the ‘remove layer break’ works.
miclus, I then used Imgburn to select the layer break location and it burned correctly. The disc played OK at the layer break on a standalone DVD player. I haven’t tried it with Nero yet.

I’m wondering why does DVDFab had ‘remove layer break’ turned ON by default? What purpose would it serve? Wouldn’t most people want to preserve the break so the burned disc will be a perfect match with the original?

I am guessing the layer break would get in the way if you are trying to shrink a Dvd to fit on a single layer blank disc. Probably why Dvd Shrink has it checked by default also.

[quote=sorensen721;1920288]I’m wondering why does DVDFab had ‘remove layer break’ turned ON by default? What purpose would it serve? Wouldn’t most people want to preserve the break so the burned disc will be a perfect match with the original?[/quote]To make a perfect copy of the original, use Clone mode, which ignores the setting of this option and always preserves the original layer break.