DVDFab Customized Crop reverts to Automatic

Is there a way to make DVDFab’s customized crop actually stick? I can set it to arbitrary values and I see the yellow lines move correspondingly, but if I close the Crop Options window and open it again immediately, it has reverted to Automatic cropping. :frowning: This is w/ version 6 and the generic xvid+mp3 profile.

It may do this if you have it set to automatic in Common Settings->X to Mobile->Convert, the second checkbox from the top is Crop Automatically. I keep it unchecked. I have not done any conversions with 6.0.1.0 yet.

Thanks, I keep that one unchecked as well, but it still does it.

I can’t duplicate this problem. If I set a customized crop and cllick OK, I can leave that screen, come back to it immediately with the same button or from within Advanced Resolution Settings and it is unchanged. It is also retained if I click “Disabled” and then click “Customized” again or change to a different profile within the same Device. The only situations where it is not are if I close DVDFab or change Devices, e.g. Generic to PVP. It would be handy to have it [B]always[/B] remember a setting for a customized crop, such as one for converting a 4:3 movie to fake widescreen.

Hmm, interesting. Mine also exhibits another weird behavior, which I call “suddenly decides to recalculate image size:” Say I have a widescreen NTSC DVD encoded with 640x480 pixels. I disable cropping (that one sticks) then I go to “Conversion Settings” and pick the largest size offered, 848x480. Great. Now I close "Conversion settings and open it again, and it has changed to 848x476, with 480 no longer offered.

These two bugs are really annoying, since I want to get my AVI sizes to be multiples of 16 and avoid resampling the original pixels (at least the rows) as much as possible. For example, if autocrop selects 65 pixels from the top and 69 from the bottom, I want to manually change that to 62 and 66 so that I get 480-62-66 = 352 = 22*16.

However, even when the manual cropper works (version 5), sometimes the above bug shows up and, after initally offering 352 as a height, switches to 350 when one revisits the “Conversion Settings.” That seems a lot like an integer rounding error kind of thing.

While this combination of bugs does not happen all the time, it has so far annoyed me enough that I prefer to use Gordian Knot instead of DVDFab. (however, the initially described bug–Autocrop takes over–does happen all the time with my version 6).

In the meantime I discovered the cause for the second issue I complained about above (“suddenly decides to recalculate image size”). It is due to my incorrectly assuming that 848 is the right width to which the 720 pixels of a 16:9 widescreen NTSC DVD should be stretched. However, 48016/9 = 853 which is not a multiple of 16, and DVDFab simply forces that to 848, which is. Then, in order to preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio, it recalculates the height as 8489/16 = 477 and then forces that to an even number, 476. The only bug here is that it does it behind the user’s back, appearing only when one opens the “Conversion Settings” panel a second time.

The initial problem I was complaining about (Customized Crop reverts to Automatic) persists, however.

[QUOTE=oberst;2279984]In the meantime I discovered the cause for the second issue I complained about above (“suddenly decides to recalculate image size”). It is due to my incorrectly assuming that 848 is the right width to which the 720 pixels of a 16:9 widescreen NTSC DVD should be stretched. However, 48016/9 = 853 which is not a multiple of 16, and DVDFab simply forces that to 848, which is. Then, in order to preserve the 16:9 aspect ratio, it recalculates the height as 8489/16 = 477 and then forces that to an even number, 476. The only bug here is that it does it behind the user’s back, appearing only when one opens the “Conversion Settings” panel a second time.

The initial problem I was complaining about (Customized Crop reverts to Automatic) persists, however.[/QUOTE]It still works fine for me. I have sent the author of DVD to Mobile a link to this thread.

I cant duplicate it either, maybe you can try another install. Just install it right over the top of the last.:wink: