DVDfab closes when scanning file without VTS_01_0.VOB

Thank you for a GREAT product!

I have some avi converted to DVD files, many of which do not have a menu or VTS_01_0.VOB file. After much trial and error I discovered that when DVDfad analyzed
a DVD file without a VTS_01_0.VOB file, the program (DVDfab) would immediately close. It works like a champ every time on files which have the menu file.

Is there a work around for this? Might future versions of DVDfab work without a menu file?

Thanks

Don

I’m sure the authors will respond soon enough about your FAB ?..but what are you using for your avi to dvd conversions?..BTW, welcome!..:slight_smile:

Hey t

Thanks.

I am now using the current version 8.0 of WinAvi Video Converter. Previous incarnations of WinAvi did not have an option of creating menu files for a specific conversion. It just did the singular converted file. Sometimes split into multiple VOB file, none of which were a menu file.

Multiple files could be converted and joined to one dvd, but again, no menu files were created.

Thanks for your response.

Don

[quote=Georgia Don;1916524]Thank you for a GREAT product!

I have some avi converted to DVD files, many of which do not have a menu or VTS_01_0.VOB file. After much trial and error I discovered that when DVDfad analyzed
a DVD file without a VTS_01_0.VOB file, the program (DVDfab) would immediately close. It works like a champ every time on files which have the menu file.

Is there a work around for this? Might future versions of DVDfab work without a menu file?

Thanks

Don[/quote]Does your VIDEO_TS folder have a VTS_01_0.IFO file? DVDFab will read folders without VTS_01_0.VOB fine for me, I just tried it on a DVD from a standalone recorder that lacks that file. Fengtao was in the forum earlier, but it is midnight in Beijing now.
/EDIT/ Here are the contents of the VIDEO_TS folder I opened with DVDFab (it was created with DVDFab Customize mode, No Menus option):

I just ran into the same or similar problem.

I have a commercially produced educational DVD I want to back up. But when DVD Fab begins to analyze the disk, the program simply closes without any error message. Log files give no clue as to the problem.

The disk is missing the VTS_01_0.VOB, but I’m not convinced that is the problem, or at least not all of it. I seem to have other disks that also lack this file, but have copied just fine.

I find that I CAN copy the files from the DVD to my harddrive with Windows Explorer. Windows Media Player and other software will play the video either from the DVD or from the files copied to the hard drive. But if I try to use DVD Fab to burn the files from the hard drive back to a blank DVD, I get the same problem: the program just disappears without any warning or error message.

My guess, and only a guess at this point, is that something in the IFO file(s) is confusing DVD Fab. If I knew what that was, I could use IFOedit or a similar program to fix the underlying problem (if that’s where it is).

[B]Georgia Don & JTNola[/B]:
I doubt Fengtao will be back in the forum today USA time. I would suggest that both of you copy all the IFO files from the problem discs to a compressed folder and email it to him at fengtao(at)dvdidle.com along with a description of the problem and a link to this thread. You might also try enabling PathPlayer in Common Settings to see if that will help read these discs in the meantime.

Run it by FixVTS,then use DVDshrink see if analyses all the way through w/o probs…then burn with IMGBurn in build mode…I doubt it’s a FAB prob…
But if I had to guess, it is in the conversion with WinAvi…try with DVDFlick or FAVC,ConvertxtoDVD,or SVCD2DVD…just a few of my faves…actually I don’t have ConvertX,but thought I’d throw it in,since it’s highly recommended by others…

Hello signals,

hmmm. Interesting. As I far as I can tell, the only difference on the surface between being able to analyze and not being able to is the presence or absence of the VTS_01_0.VOB menu file.

file structure which DVDfab can analyze

VIDEO_TS.BUP 8KB
VIDEO_TS.IFO 8KB
VTS_01_0.BUP 42KB
VTS_01_0.IFO 42KB
VTS_01_0.VOB 13592KB
VTS_01_1.VOB 1046816KB
VTS_01_2.VOB 749128KB

file structure which DVD tries to analyze, but closes after attempting to analyze

VIDEO_TS.BUP 8KB
VIDEO_TS.IFO 8KB
VTS_01_0.BUP 36KB
VTS_01_0.IFO 36KB
VTS_01_1.VOB 1046816KB
VTS_01_2.VOB 749128KB

Both DVD folders containing the VIDEO_TS files are created from the same original avi file. Both using WinAvi v8.0. The first set of files is created with the “Enable DVD Menu” option ticked. The second set of files is created with this option declined or un-ticked.

Both resultant files used in this test were from the same avi file and created today.

Don

The IFOs are different sizes, too (36 vs. 42 k). :confused: In general the presence of the 0.VOB file is not a problem, many DVDs have it. You can look at the IFOs with IFOEdit, perhaps you can see the difference. Fengtao will be able to sort it out.

If you are actually in GA (I am) suggest you avoid I-75 between Altanta and the FLA line starting just about now through Sunday PM. Big cocktail party in Jacksonville:).

Following Signals’ suggestion, I have emailed FengTao, including the IFO files from a DVD that I can’t backup, plus a directory listing of that DVD and the Crash Log created when DVD Fab Platinum terminated. If I receive an explanatory reply, I will post the important part of it in this thread.

Thanks to all responding…

First, I am in Georgia. Way, way up Northeast. Far from parties in Jacksonville :slight_smile:

Second, My knowledge base is only what I have learned for myself by reading forums and discovered through error.

Other than files such as DVDfab, and WinAvi that I have purchased, I only have a few other programs to work with which are or were at one time or another freeware. Not a lot of liquid assets ya know.

Also, I am in no kind of hurry, always willing to learn, and have the patience of Job.

Best,

Don

Thanks JTNola.

Don

Path-Player seemed to Fix the Problem, at least for me.

I went into “Common Preferences”, and under “DVD” set “Path-Player” to “Always Enabled.” DVD Fab was then able to backup the problem DVD without any difficulty.

I haven’t the slightest idea what path-player is or what changing this setting has actually done. I only tried this because Signals’ suggested it. So thanks, kudos, and what is it?

Can’t say for sure this will solve all similar problems, but it worked for me.

JT and Don

Well, great that PathPlayer worked on this–I thought it might. It is Fengtao’s tradename for a new technology in DVDFab that allows it to analyze DVDs as a standalone player does. You can read more about it here. It does make the analysis take a little longer, so you might want to turn it back off. Don, you might try it too. I think we are probably close, I am in the NE also, near Murrayville.

Ladies and or gentlemen,

By Golly! That Did It!

I enabled PathPlayer and the trouble file(s) loaded right up!

Thank you all!

Now, that said, here’s the deal. The way I stumbled upon this is that I wanted to put a few videos on my Motorola Cell Phone to pass the time while waiting for my wife while she did her seemingly endless shopping. You know. Go in for a head of lettuce and come out with a trunk load of other stuff, with or without the lettuce. Of course the picture is postage stamp wide, but if you already are familiar with the content, it’s fine.

As mentioned earlier, I had no problem with some files, but those which I had converted from avi or other would not load in DVDfab.

Although the problem now has a viable “work around”, and I can in fact convert to “cell phone”, I noticed that every other feature also works with the exception of DVD to DVD “FULL DISC”. I have found that some files which were already on a disc and that I had problems backing up ran through DVDfab then worked fine. I can’t think of a reason that I would want to do “Full Disc” with a problem file such as you all have cured here, but it was simply an observation.

Thank you all once again! Nice group. Should I be of any potential assistance to you all in testing something or whatever, I promise to help as best I can with honest attempts at trying something and giving you honest feedback. Long as my PC won’t get hurt :).

Thanks,

Don

Great news, Don! PathPlayer scores again.

Well friends… , now there seems to be a sync problem with the video playing at near double speed when converted to “Cell Phone.”

This issue is the same whether a VTS_01_0.VOB file is present or not. I have no problems when converting other DVD format material, so far only those DVD files created with WinAVI from avi files seem to be affected.

I also have tried to play the 3g2 file on Media Player Classic with the same video way fast and out of sync.

PathPlayer obviously fixed the problem when scanning a file without a VTS_01_0.VOB file.

Surely I am doing something wrong.

Don

Well friends… , now there seems to be a sync problem with the video playing at near double speed when converted to “Cell Phone.”

This issue is the same whether a VTS_01_0.VOB file is present or not. I have no problems when converting other DVD format material, so far only those DVD files created with WinAVI from avi files seem to be affected.

I also have tried to play the 3g2 file on Media Player Classic with the same video way fast and out of sync.

PathPlayer obviously fixed the problem when scanning a file without a VTS_01_0.VOB file.

Don

oops sorry bout that.
:o

Hey Don. I have given up on WinAVI and am using AVS Video Converter now for everything except DivX to DVD, for which I use ConvertXtoDVD from VSO. Neither of these are free, but I think ConvertX has a free trial period so you can test it. I don’t do many of those “backwards” conversions but the VSO program has worked very well. Here is a link to the VSO website. Give it a try with this problem video.

[quote=Georgia Don;1917679]Well friends… , now there seems to be a sync problem with the video playing at near double speed when converted to “Cell Phone.”

Don[/quote]