DVDFab Clone Mode

vbimport

Pardon me if this gets a bit wordy, but it’s going to take that to explain why I’m asking the question I am.

A week or so ago, a newbie to the forum had a question about clone mode with DVDFab. Several people kicked in with comments, and it left me thinking.

When you first start DVDFab, in DVD to DVD mode, the left panel has all available options. Clone is the only one where the source disk is the same color as the Target disk. This sorta stands to reason, as clone implies a bit to bit duplication of the source DVD to a blank one. All other options , the target is green, which to me implies that the copies are minus the copy protection.

Fair enough.

Clone mode the target is the same color, implying that the copy protection is still present on the cloned disc (again keeping with the concept of ‘cloning’). A comment was made by one of the contributors that a clone couldn’t be done without removing the copy protection (thus rendering the ‘clone’ as not a clone, just a protection free copy).

Now we move to clone mode itself. The programmed options are:
1.) Copy DVD Video Data Only
2.) Copy original IFO Files

Now I’m really confused! I use DVDLab Pro frequently to author mpeg-2 files I’ve obtained from other sources. As an S.O.P. in the process, DVDLab de-multiplexes the mpeg-2 file to its constituent Video only and Audio-only components to allow for the addition of substreams and extra audio tracks, prior to the re-mux and navpack adds needed for DVD compliancy.

Looking at the options in Clone mode, I’m reasonably sure Fengtao doesn’t strip off all the navpacks, demux the mpeg-2 stream, and offer just the video data only as part of the clone process (again, the result wouldn’t be a clone). There is also the implication there that the IFO files from the source DVD are not duplicated (as the second option allows for that, if selected) meaning that for the clone to be playable, DVDFab would have to re-create the IFO files it didn’t copy (Video data only selected).

A neat trick, and a programming chore, not really necessary, as the IFO files already exist.

So the question is, what exactly is ‘Clone Mode’, what does it do, and if copy protection removal is invoked, how does it differ in end result from a normal DVD-9 full-disk rip??

O’C

:confused:

Well if you read the tut http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/DVDToDVDClone it includes this wording “This box should be left unchecked unless your player and disc support[B] Clearplay[/B] and you want this function to operate when the backup is played.”

People were wanting a way to use copies with Clearplay. I can’t remember that far back as to all the reasons. That’s the way i remember it anyway.

[QUOTE=Bob;2188567]Well if you read the tut http://www.dvdfab.com/docs/index.php/Main/DVDToDVDClone it includes this wording “This box should be left unchecked unless your player and disc support[B] Clearplay[/B] and you want this function to operate when the backup is played.”

People were wanting a way to use copies with Clearplay. I can’t remember that far back as to all the reasons. That’s the way i remember it anyway.[/QUOTE]

Ok…thanx… that’ll help me respond the next time a clone question comes up on the forum.

Is [B]Clearplay[/B] still around? Haven’t seen anyone mention it recently…

O’C

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=O’Canada;2188597]Ok…thanx… that’ll help me respond the next time a clone question comes up on the forum.

Is [B]Clearplay[/B] still around? Haven’t seen anyone mention it recently…

O’C

:)[/QUOTE]You got me there. I don’t have any Clearplay stuff here at all.

Maybe Fengtao will reply here and explain it more or a member with more info than i have.