DVDFab Cannot Copy Doctor Who

vbimport

Doctor Who - The Complete Second Season just released in USA/Canada Tuesday on DVD. DVDFab cannot copy disc 1! It gets to 100% and throws an error. The files it did copy cannot be used by Media Center. Only disc 1 cannot be copied. The other 5 discs copy just fine. I am using DVDFab Platinum and upgraded to the latest Beta release 3.0.6.0 Beta. Help!

Hi rickm,

What copy mode do you use? “Full Disc”, “Main Movie” or “Clone”?

Please send us all the .IFO files on Original disc, then we will check the problem.

A recommended way is listed below:

1. Open an Explorer window, and navigate to VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD.
  2. Copy all files ending with .IFO to hard disk.
  3. ZIP the IFO files on hard disk to one file. Name it with a readable filename, like Stealth_UK.zip.
  4. Send the zip file to fengtao(at)dvdidle.com, you need replace (at) with @.

Best Regards,
Fengtao

I tried ‘Full Disc’, ‘Main Movie’, and ‘Custom’ options.

Full Disc went to 100% and threw an error. The resulting files were un-usable in Media Center.

Main Movie completed successfully, but would only play the first episode. Menu’s did not work. Disc 1 contains the Christmas Invasion special as well as episode 1 from season 2. There are also lots of what appears to be very appealing ‘extras’ on disc 1.

Custom was tried with the default’s checked. I changed nothing other than selecting ‘Custom’. It completed without error, but the symptoms were the same as when ‘Main Movie’ was used.

The zipped files you requested are on the way.

Thank you so much for your quick response!

I don’t think it’s a DVDFab issue but rather a problem with the disc itself. On some discs, at the 32:40 mark of disc 1, episode 2 (“New Earth”) the video switches to chainsaw-horror movie, which includes a very graphic scene of someone getting his legs cut off. it also lists as 44 mins long instead of the usual 58 mins

I don’t think the bonus material on the disc can be accessed either

Wow that is weird. Maybe I should watch my movies before I back them up in the future.

Is that the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake?

You’re kidding, right? Sounds like somebody has been jiggling the third green lever from the left on the tardis control panel. :wink:

Is that the Texas Chainsaw Massacre Remake?

From what I’ve read, it is. I couldn’t identify it myself (because I didnt watch more of the incorrect footage longer than it took me to find my remote! Not a chainsaw movie kinda gal) but several people have reported the same problem.

BBC Video is aware of the problem and has already issued a statement (to tvshowsondvd.com) that they are working on correcting it and re-issuing disc 1

I’ve just read that tvshowsondvd.com site and there was a really interesting quote:

Update: John Halpin wrote to let us know he had the same problem, but he also said that the disc was labeled “Not for retail sale - Rental only” on it. That’s great news, and it means that consumers shouldn’t have this problem on the sets they purchase.
:doh: isn’t that interesting? I’m interested by that, aren’t you?

Busted! :cop:

Yeah screw everybody who tries to rent movies. Oh and people who just get stuck with copies that accidentally made it into the retail chain.

Or cheap a$$es like me who buy “previously viewed” discs at Blockbuster. And I’ll take a little less moral outrage with my scrambled eggs, please. :slight_smile:

I was obviously being sarcastic since I got stuck with a bad disc through retail. Luckily for me I can exchange it, but what about everybody who rents it? Are people going to have to check discs before they leave the video store or hope they somehow don’t get a tainted one from netflix.

Netflix will replace any disc that they sell or rent. Rent just call and they send another. The ones they sell come in the original cases. Probably by the time they go up for sale the bad ones have been weeded out. I like it when I find them for $5.99.

Mack

I agree. My moral outrage comments were directed elsewhere. I tried to do too many things in one post, a false economy. :wink:

The DVD’s that Blockbuster have that have been incorrectly pressed will be replaced in a matter of days, in fact, after the first person rents it and finds out that the content is wrong. I’m baffled as to how these knackered copies would have been sold on to customers following their rental period.

I’m not finger pointing, nor do I care what you spend your free time doing, it just made me giggle.

Thanks to everyone for their comments. You have saved me a lot of time and hassle. DVDFab ROCKS by the way. The support is great, the product is great, and it’s well worth the money to upgrade. Thanks again everyone.

Hi rickm,

Please send us all the .IFO files on Original disc 1, then we will check the problem.

A recommended way is listed below:

1. Open an Explorer window, and navigate to VIDEO_TS folder of the DVD.
  2. Copy all files ending with .IFO to hard disk.
  3. ZIP the IFO files on hard disk to one file. Name it with a readable filename, like Stealth_UK.zip.
  4. Send the zip file to fengtao(at)dvdidle.com, you need replace (at) with @.

Best Regards,
Fengtao