DvDFab .avi volume too low

vbimport

Hello, I have DvDFab 4.0.6.2 and I am ripping my dvd collection to fit on my HTPC in avi format. Every one of the dvd’s I rip using this program has super low volume.

The settings in DvDFab don’t allow me to customize the audio volume as it’s set on 100%. All of the settings are stock. What do I need to do to make the volume adjustment actually useful?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Use the drop down in generic to change your output from the one with audiocopy because it will not allow a volume increase, use the one with mp3 or mp4.h264. Hope this helps, post back please.

[QUOTE=tgidday;1999534]Use the drop down in generic to change your output from the one with audiocopy because it will not allow a volume increase, use the one with mp3 or mp4.h264. Hope this helps, post back please.[/QUOTE]

If you are getting low volume, it is usually caused by your computer not being able to output Dolby Digital 5.1 as this is the usual track using the audiocopy profile.

You can remedy this by installing FFDShow/AC3 Filter and then change the settings to downmix the 5.1 sound to 2 channel stereo.

Or as tgidday says, encode it to another profile wher the volume can be adjusted.

GregiBoy thanks for the input, since he is a newbie I figured I would offer the an easy one to start.

Interesting! I am now encoding another of my dvd collection into whatever file extension/format this one is (mp4???). Ive set the audio to 128 bit rate and adjusted the volume to 266%.

This usually takes a little while even though I’m using a fast Plextor dvd drive. When it’s finished Ill post what happened here. Thanks for your advice as this is for my home theater PC and it’s 5.1.

Thanks also GregiBoy but since this is for a HTPC, stereo movies just would loose that extra dimension that surround sound offers… but I do appreciate your response.

[QUOTE=en3rgy187;1999732]Thanks also GregiBoy but since this is for a HTPC, stereo movies just would loose that extra dimension that surround sound offers… but I do appreciate your response.[/QUOTE]

Energy, that is not what I was saying…

If you set up the codecs correctly and the DVD is DD5.1 sound, you should get the same levels as if you played the original DVD.

But it depends onhow you set your PC up.

I actually run a Soundblaster card and output the sound via Toslink (Optical) to my amp and all works fine.From what I read in your post, you only had a basic card.

Is this correct?

I think the MP4 profile will only be stereo also, so you need to invest some time in getting it all sorted.

I let it run all night long and the program crashed. Im beginning to think I wasted my $50 on this program as it does not seem to be very good :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::frowning:

[quote=GregiBoy;1999778]Energy, that is not what I was saying…

If you set up the codecs correctly and the DVD is DD5.1 sound, you should get the same levels as if you played the original DVD.

But it depends onhow you set your PC up.

I actually run a Soundblaster card and output the sound via Toslink (Optical) to my amp and all works fine.From what I read in your post, you only had a basic card.

Is this correct?

I think the MP4 profile will only be stereo also, so you need to invest some time in getting it all sorted.[/quote] No sir… actually I have a 680i motherboard and run the sound straight off of it with no sound card. This is from the PC that I rip my dvd’s with. It’s my powerhouse PC. It’s got 4gigs of ram and an Intel 6850 CPU with 4 Raptor hdd’s and XP Pro SP2.

The PC I use as my HTPC has a sound blaster sound card and it’s hooked up via mini stereo cables to my surround sound processor. It really sounds great but optical would be better (like yours).

In any event, I thank you very much for your valuable time here. I truly do appreciate it. :bow:

similar problem here, fixed, for your information.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/two-audio-issues-dvdfab-238939/#post1999879

[quote=GregiBoy;2000021]similar problem here, fixed, for your information.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f116/two-audio-issues-dvdfab-238939/#post1999879[/quote]

Thanks GregiBoy. Nice find.