DVDFAB and Windows 7 RC

I have been using DVDFAB with Windows 7 Beta since day one. No I upgrade to Windows 7 RC and I am not able to register my copy anymore.
I started at 5.2.5.0 and it said that it registered and need to restart but it would open back like you were in demo mode and still needed to enter key.
I Have upgraded to 6.0.0.2 beta and it does the same thing. Anyone else having this problem?

[QUOTE=simeonpro;2269667]I have been using DVDFAB with Windows 7 Beta since day one. No I upgrade to Windows 7 RC and I am not able to register my copy anymore.
I started at 5.2.5.0 and it said that it registered and need to restart but it would open back like you were in demo mode and still needed to enter key.
I Have upgraded to 6.0.0.2 beta and it does the same thing. Anyone else having this problem?[/QUOTE]
Windows 7 is a beta Operating System, it is not in the supported OS Requirements, when you use a beta you take your chances. I am using Windows 7 64bit and have no problems with DVD Fab. But all systems configurations are different.:wink:

[QUOTE=alan1476;2269692]Windows 7 is a beta Operating System, it is not in the supported OS Requirements, when you use a beta you take your chances. I am using Windows 7 64bit and have no problems with DVD Fab. But all systems configurations are different.;)[/QUOTE]
Alan,
I appreciate what you said about Windows 7 being beta and not supported. Just curious which version of DVDFab you managed to get running on it?
Thanks

[QUOTE=alan1476;2269692]Windows 7 is a beta Operating System, it is not in the supported OS Requirements, when you use a beta you take your chances. I am using Windows 7 64bit and have no problems with DVD Fab. But all systems configurations are different.;)[/QUOTE

I know it is not on the supported system. I was just wondering if anyone else was running into the same problem. I have been running v5.2.5.0 on Windows 7 Beta 64-bit for awhile and wanted everyone to know that there is a problem if you upgrade to Windows 7 RC 64-bit with both v5.2.5.0 and v6.0.0.2 beta

Yeah something has changed in the release candidate that has caused a number of difficulties for various programs (not just DVDFab).

Could possibly be the changes to the ‘software restriction policy’.

If so Microsoft’s fix is as follows:-

1. Start Windows in Safe mode by restarting the computer and pressing F8.

2. Disable DLL checking for software restriction policies either on the local computer using the Local Security Policy MMC snap-in or, if the computer receives this setting from Group Policy, on the computer that enforces this policy using the Group Policy MMC snap-in.

3. Restart the computer.

I’m not running Windows 7 so I can’t test this.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I encountered this problem as well on Windows 7 Beta and RC. I was able to correct it by running DVDFab as an Admin when adding license keys. All licenses are now properly set.

My experience with Windows 7 RC has been limited, but great so far.
I had been using the initial Windows 7 beta with good results.
Last night I reformatted a hdd and did a new, clean install of Windows 7 RC 32-bit.

Downloaded and installed v.6.0.0.3 Beta and also did a new install of Img.
Nothing else on this hdd and is booted via eSATA connection as the system hdd.

The single regkey for both Platinum and DVD to Mobile worked perfectly… a double-click…just like the old days.

I’ve burned 3 flicks so far, using VSO and Img and have had absolutely smooth sailing.

Clean installs of Windows 7 RC will not exhibit this problem. :iagree:

The issue I’d referred to depends on whether ‘DLL checking for software restriction policies’ was in operation prior to the upgrade to Windows 7 RC which would possibly explain why different users get different results.

In the current RC version certain DLLs were removed and this function throws a wobbly. :slight_smile:

Microsoft recommend disabling it prior to the upgrade.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Upgraded here from build 7077 to 7100, 64-bit, with 5.3.2.2 beta installed and all is working as it should.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2270485]Clean installs of Windows 7 RC will not exhibit this problem. :iagree:

The issue I’d referred to depends on whether ‘DLL checking for software restriction policies’ was in operation prior to the upgrade to Windows 7 RC which would possibly explain why different users get different results.

In the current RC version certain DLLs were removed and this function throws a wobbly. :slight_smile:

Microsoft recommend disabling it prior to the upgrade.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]
I don’t doubt for a moment that what you posted is accurate and thanks for the info.
Interestingly, the email I received from MS with the attached link recommended a clean install.
Perhaps this will help folks who have not yet installed Windows 7 RC.

Here’s an excerpt, followed by the link:

[I]"Installing Windows 7 RC

Thank you for helping us test the Windows 7 RC. To help make sure you have a great experience, please read this section before you install the software.

What you need to know before you begin:
If you’ve installed Windows 7 Beta on your PC, you’ll need to back up your data, and do a clean installation of the RC. Then you’ll need to reinstall your programs and restore the files, settings, and other information you want to use for testing."[/I]

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/installation-instructions.aspx

Always glad to help as you’re probably aware.

Yes that is always the case with any OS.

Microsoft always recommends a clean install even for the final full release versions and clean install is always best.

Despite the warnings however a lot of people still like to take the chance and upgrade.

It might indeed save some time changing settings etc. but in the long run the logic behind this is flawed and the additional time for a clean install is most certainly time well spent.

Any time saved is very rapidly used up when trying to track down apparently unexplained incompatibilities or bugs which ultimately turn out to be due to errors carried over from the previous OS.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Like Wombler has so wisely put it, always install any new beta OS, as a clean install. You should not do it any other way. If you read all the release notes that Microsoft has put out on this RC and the betas before it, they always say to use a clean hdd. I am using Windows 7 RC1 X64 with no problems with DVD Fab. I always run as Admin. I have it running on the beta V6 and the release 5.2.5.0.