DVDFab and MIRC stuff

I have a question.

If I wanted to download something from MIRC and watch it on DVD but it came to me on TAR format-- do I use dvd fab for anything?

or what do I do from step one as I am new to this?

Thanks so much-

BTW- I also did have probs with dvdfab decrypter 4, it wouldnt rip Harry Potter. I am trying Gold version now.

New here, and Merry Christmas!

Godivafilm

Welcome to the forum, let us know how the DVDFab Gold works for you.

[QUOTE=godivafilm;1960541]I have a question.

If I wanted to download something from MIRC and watch it on DVD but it came to me on TAR format-- do I use dvd fab for anything?

[/QUOTE]

Anything you receive in a TAR file (called a tarball) will generally have to be extracted. It is an archive format similar to ZIP and RAR, but not compressed. An appropriate tool for extracting the file(s) from the tarball is WinRAR (assuming you are running Windows). Once you have extracted the file(s), what you do next depends on what format the video is in. If it is a DVD layout (VOB, IFO, and BUP files), then you can use Nero to burn a video DVD from that directly. If instead you find file types such as AVI, MPEG, or other a/v formats, you will need DVD authoring software (such as Ulead MovieFactory) to convert this to a proper DVD layout.

You probably will not need to use DVDfab with this.

Regarding Harry Potter, make sure you are using at least version 4.0.2.0 beta of DVDfab (whether Platinum, Gold, or Decrypter). Earlier 4.x.x.x releases had some problems. Version 4.0.2.5 beta is out now, so I’d try that.

Well, usually I see an ISO file?? Two files I see after I have undone the Tar file. But then I dont know what to do.

As for dvdfab- GOLD worked perfectly for Harry Potter.

[QUOTE=godivafilm;1960894]Well, usually I see an ISO file?? Two files I see after I have undone the Tar file. But then I dont know what to do.

As for dvdfab- GOLD worked perfectly for Harry Potter.[/QUOTE]

Okay, if your tarball contains an ISO file, you can burn that with either ImgBurn, Alcohol, or Nero. The ISO file is another kind of “container” file, in this case containing a complete disc image, either DVD or CD. Look at the size of the ISO to determine whether to burn it to a CD (if 700MB or less) or DVD (if larger than 700MB).

You mentioned 2 files, but were not specific about types. If you mean 2 ISO files, each will need to be burned separately. If you get a tarball that instead of an ISO contains a BIN and a CUE file, then use Nero or Alcohol to burn the image; open the CUE rather than the BIN – the burning program will automatically know from the CUE to open the corresponding BIN. I don’t think ImgBurn can handle CUE files.

dvdfab can handle video_ts folder and iso image. according to lightning uk imgburn does not support cue files. however he also says:

As you say, depending on the complexity of the cue file, burning the bin is fine.

troy

[QUOTE=troy512;1961527]according to lightning uk imgburn does not support cue files.[/QUOTE]That can change…that was in April this year.

Thanks – it was Bin and Cue btw.

So what I do is download the TAR file then unzip it all? Which ones do I unzip as usually there are so many-- there is one to unzip to start with correct?

Then I get to the folders that have either ISO or cue and bin and do an image burn?

KK- thanks for your patience for my lack of knowledge, I am learning this heh.

This is the link where you can download a trial version of WinRAR:

http://www.rarlab.com/

Also try this one as well: http://www.gzip.org/

And, a little history on the .tar format: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tar_(file_format)

Good luck with your project!!

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=godivafilm;1961855]Then I get to the folders that have either ISO or cue and bin and do an image burn?[/QUOTE]

Yep, that’s the ticket. :iagree:

[QUOTE=godivafilm;1960541]I have a question.

[/QUOTE]

Well first you go out and actually buy the DVD that you want to backup…

…or you go find a thieves forum…

Thats not very nice…and everything here copying anything is “grey area” so don’t throw a rock unless you are 100% perfect yourself pls.

I was asking a question on a forum from people who might have some knowledge and I didn’t know if I would use dvdfab for anything else as well with this.

And I do use dvdfab to back up all my dvd’s.

Happy Holidays:P