DVDFab and Letterboxing

vbimport

Hello everybody, sorry for my bad English and for being a newbie in video.

First: I own a Full HD 16:9 - 1.78:1 Philips TV

I have a problem that I cannot solve with DVDFab and I hope to find some help here.

I’ve got the .avi movie “Edge of Tomorrow” (but this happens whith other digital movies and formats) which DVDFab displays with a resolution of 1920px800p (2.40:1).

What I have is just in the exact format (with exact dimensions) of the movie without any letterboxing and DVDFab shows me the movie like that, without any letterboxing (instead, when I insert a DVD, I can see the letterbox).

Of course what happens if I try to watch the movie on my TV is that I see a vertically stretched version of the movie where the height of the viewable image changes from 800p to 1080p as there is no letterboxing.

Now, from my calculations, if I have a TV with a 1.78:1 ratio and I want to see a movie with a HIGHER ratio than my TV and normal proportions, the new height for the (reduced) image is h=1920/r when r (ratio) in this case is 2.40.

In fact in this case h=1920/2.40=800 and it coincides with the original, not letterboxed format of the original image.

To keep the original 2.40:1 ratio of the image on my TV I should have letterboxing with two (bottom and top) black bars b=(1080p-800p)/2=140p which don’t appear nor on my TV nor in DVDFab under the “Edit”>“Info” option.

If I change the original format in DVDFab from “original” (2.40:1) to 16:9 I get again a vertically stretched image with same results as the original and there is no way to add the black bars to the original movie.

Same happens with movies with r=2.35:1 (h=816, b=132) etc…

Is there anybody out there who can help me solve this problem?

If you know there is any other software (possibly free) with a very simple and nice GUI that I can use I would be more than happy!

ANY help on this topic will be REALLY appreciated

Thanks a lot

In other words, you are trying to watch a .avi torrent on your TV is this correct? http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/369599-DVDFab-and-Letterboxing-Urgent-Help-Needed!!?p=2368436

Posted by Boito50
" (but this happens with other digital movies and formats) which DVDFab
displays with a resolution of 1920px800p (2.40:1).

I am sorry, DVDFAB doesn't do that.  Torrents of copyrighted materials are frowned upon here.

Blu-Ray movie content is ALWAYS 16:9 aspect ratio. “Scope” movies with 2.35 aspect (for example) are encoded on the disc with a letterboxed image (black bars) to make them 16:9.

When such movies get ripped, the software may or may not remove the black bars, resulting in an image something like 1080x800. This is the wrong way to rip a scope movie, but people do it anyway.

Playback of a 1080x800 image in its proper aspect is entirely dependent on the playback device. Top and bottom bars need to be added back again. A TV can do that with the correct aspect setting being applied, or the playback device can do it and send the TV a 16:9 image.

Re-encoding the image to add top and bottom bars back again will result in loss of quality, as does stretching the image to fit a 16:9 screen.

So the moral of the story is to rip the movie with the correct aspect and black bars intact, producing a 1920x1080 image.

CDan, thanks a lot for your reply.

I’ve just discovered that despite the fact that I have a 1920px800p movie without bars and letterboxing, after changing the video settings on my 3D Bluray Player from “16:9 widescreeen” to simply “16:9” the player adds the bars itself and I can watch ANY movie correctly.

So it was just a matter of changing “16:9 widescreen” to “16:9”.

As I’m a complete newbie, can you explain to me what is the difference between the two settings as my TV is a full HD 1920px1080p (which I think it IS a “widescreen”!) ??

Thanks in advance for your kindness.

alan1476: this forum is dedicated to DVDFab which is the most famous [B]video copy removal tool worldwide[/B]… I think you have FAKE morality… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=boito50;2745557]alan1476: this forum is dedicated to DVDFab which is the most famous [B]video copy removal tool worldwide[/B]… I think you have FAKE morality… :)[/QUOTE] Thank you for your feedback, torrenting is not legal in any country for copyrighted materials, while there are legal torrents the one you mentioned is not. :wink: Buy the movie.