DVDFab and ImgBurn DL Burning

vbimport

If you use DVDFab to backup a DL Movie and you use the ImgBurn (option) to burn the DL disc, do you get the same layer break as in the original movie or do you get a calculated one from ImgBurn ?

I know that the layer break are written down in the ini file by DVDFab and ImgBurn uses the MDS file for layer break information. Just wondered if DVDFab passes some info to ImgBurn about layer break when it is ready to burn.

No. My understanding is you only get the same break if you use clone mode. However I am not the expert.

I think you can use ImgBurn as the burning program when cloning a dvd. But, I suspect the layer break info are not transferred to ImgBurn in any way and therefore is calculated by ImgBurn.

NO you get a different layer break and that is one ImgBurn chooses for you or you can set ImgBurn to choose a different spot. I use the VSO built in burn engine for my double layer back ups as I think it chooses a better spot for it as I have not yet noticed a skip using VSO that is usually on it when burned to DL disc using nero or imgburn.

Thanks for that, ill be using VSO from now on for my DL’s

[QUOTE=BOOBOO;2172981]Thanks for that, ill be using VSO from now on for my DL’s[/QUOTE]

Just the opposite, I started using ImgBurn last week and will never go back to VSO.

First of all, I’ve always seen the original layer break listed among the ones calculated by ImgBurn. And you can always preview them.

Second and most important, no matter which layer break you choose, you can check the “Seamless” box to make the layer break seamless (without any pause). This works on both of my DVD players which are a couple of years old and should work on most DVD players.

If you rip with Fab in clone mode, the LB will be preserved on the ripped image regardless of any other settings. If you burn with VSO, this LB is also automatically preserved on the burn.

With Img, you’ll have multiple choices for the location of your LB, one of which should be the original LB. It looks a little complicated, but it’s really not bad. LUK! color codes the LB locations for you.
Be certain that your standalone player(s) support seamless LB if you opt for this.

Both burn engines work just fine for me for DL burns.

Here’s an example of LB positions in Img:

Are original DVD’s “burned” (pressed) with “seamelss mode” or is this only a ImgBurn option ?

No, but just because an LB is not “seamless”, doesn’t mean you’ll notice any pause or transition. Very few of my bkups have anything close to an annoying or even discernible LB and most have been burned within Fab using VSO. I have had a couple of originals where the break was more than a little noticable. This is also player dependent to a large extent.

Take a look at this thread…there are some folks posting who know a great deal more than I do:
IMGBurn - Setting Layer Break

[QUOTE=maineman;2173085]No, but just because an LB is not “seamless”, doesn’t mean you’ll notice any pause or transition. Very few of my bkups have anything close to an annoying or even discernible LB and most have been burned within Fab using VSO. I have had a couple of originals where the break was more than a little noticable. This is also player dependent to a large extent.[/QUOTE]

True but there are some music DVDs with very objectionable layer breaks. Disc 2 of William Tell is one for example. I decided to duplicate this DVD by using Clone to create an Iso and then use ImgBurn’s Write Function with the seamless box checked. I played it back and the layer pause was completely gone.

I tried using the Tools - ISO - Display Ifo Layer Break Information and I have to choose the ISO file and I then get up “Potential Layer Break Position”. My question is : How do I choose a Layer Break Position for the DVD DL I’m about to burn ? Do I have to manually input some info somewhere or is it “automatic” ? Take “maineman” Attached Image in his reply. He has several suggested Layer Breaks for his iso file. How does he choose the one he want’s to burn the DVD with ?

[B]I don’t know for sure[/B] but if your backing up a pressed video DL disc then the LB will be the same for any of the burning apps. It just uses the original discs LB that is on the pressed DL video disc.

Now if you have a file that is say 7.89gigs then that would be completely different. They all might have a different way to determine the LB. Maineman’s example of ImgBurns LB table would of course be how it handles it.

[QUOTE=Bob;2173361][B]I don’t know for sure[/B] but if your backing up a pressed video DL disc then the LB will be the same for any of the burning apps. It just uses the original discs LB that is on the pressed DL video disc.

Now if you have a file that is say 7.89gigs then that would be completely different. They all might have a different way to determine the LB. Maineman’s example of ImgBurns LB table would of course be how it handles it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and my question is : how does Maineman choose his LayerBreak to use for burning between all those altenatives ? How does ImgBurn know what LB Maineman wants to use when it starts to burn ?

[QUOTE=bpinn;2173368]Yes, and my question is : how does Maineman choose his LayerBreak to use for burning between all those altenatives ? How does ImgBurn know what LB Maineman wants to use when it starts to burn ?[/QUOTE]I only see that LB table when i have a large file i’m wanting to burn on a DL blank disc.

If i rip a DL video disc with ImgBurn i get a .mds file with the LB info in it. If i don’t choose the .mds file when loading it to burn with ImgBurn then i get that LB table.

So maineman will have to answer that one :bigsmile:

My problem is that I don’t get the Layer Break selection window when loading iso files for burning. That applies to all iso files, including ones without mds files. So I cannot select a LB point.

But all the files I’ve tried I’ve also loaded in the Tools - ISO - Display Ifo Layer Break Information and all the files I’ve tried there has only one suggested layer break. Is that the reason why I do not get the LB selection window when loading those .iso files ? It automatically chooses the only one alternative ?