Technically, the entries to the registry made by the Ofiice 2010 installer only affected office 2010 causing it to reinstall every time I tried to run any application, and not run properly. However, the recomended repairs, none of which worked, caused changes to the registry that affected almost everything on the computer including Windows.
One fo the problems the installer created that I could identify was all the registry entries didn't have an owner or any permissions. This is about the third Microsoft application that has made incorrect registry entries on instalition. The others were 60 day versions of developer tools and I just uninstalled bacause I didn't need them, I already had other software.
I would go back to a restore point, but for some reason system restore shut itself off every time I started it. I suspect I had a bad install, but apperantly people are having this problem with a clean "good" install of windows and Office 2010. Unfortunately Windows is so complex, it is hard to know if you get a good install.
I never had any problems like this with any other software, DVDFab installed perfect every time on.