DVDFab 6 not making region free rip?

Hey all,

hopefully someone can chime in. I can make copies of Region1 (USA) DVDs I have and they work fine, but I don’t need that as, well, I have the originals. My family has sent me some DVDs from Europe that are region 5 and I would like to either convert them to Region1 or region free so my little one can watch them.
From what I read, my understaning is that using DVDFab to copy a DVD onto my hard drive would make it region free so it can be played in any standalone (non-software) DVD player? Am I wrong?
I have used DVDFab to make a copy of a dvd to my hard drive and then used Imgburn to burn it. Region 1 was checked on Imgburn as I see no option to make it region free. THe copy plays fine on my laptop (software player so it’s expected), but will not play on my stnadalone DVD (Denon DVD-1600).
I also though DVDFab might be able to make a region free copy by itslef because there is a menu that pops up every time asking me for the region.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi umpqua5,

You have at least two issues going on here. The first, region coding, can be resolved with Fab and other software.
You also have the NTSC - PAL format issue and here lies your problem.

Most folks find it easier to simply buy a dvd player with that can play both formats. These can be had at a pretty cheap price.

There is software out there to convert one to the other, sometimes very complicated and sometimes not…I believe nero can do this without a lot of trouble and endless tweaking on the user’s part.
Thankfully, I’ve never had this issue.

Anyway, here are a couple of links to explain what I’m talking about:

Thanks for the reply. I’ve been looking at some region free dvd players since I typed my post, and you’re probably right, it may be the easiest solution. At $60, it’s worth the price.

Thanks again.

Just an update, in case it helps someone. I have been able to play the dvd by editing the Video_TS.ifo file efore burning to DVD. Just change from Pal to NTSC within the file. It’s a decent job considering it’s just foreign cartoons for my 4yr old. I would not recommend it for videophiles, plus only one of my two dvd players would play it.

[QUOTE=umpqua5;2303237]Just an update, in case it helps someone. I have been able to play the dvd by editing the Video_TS.ifo file efore burning to DVD. Just change from Pal to NTSC within the file. It’s a decent job considering it’s just foreign cartoons for my 4yr old. I would not recommend it for videophiles, plus only one of my two dvd players would play it.[/QUOTE]Yeah, smart, simple move on your part, especially since you’re talking cartoons for the 4 yr old.
Thanks for posting back with the fix.

Curious, did you use IFOEdit?
I have heard of this being done. For anyone wanting spcicifics, here’s a guide:
http://forum.videohelp.com/topic221928.html