DVDFab 6 hangs and requires a reboot

I just installed DVDFab 6 and it works fine if I select whole disk, but if I select main movie or split, the preview window pops up, stays black and then the program hangs so badly that the PC is totally unresponsive and I have to power it down and reboot.

If I select whole disk and rip to the hard drive, then use that as input instead of the DVD R/W hardware, then I have no trouble. The preview window works and I can split just fine.

I know there are other threads on hanging, but I’ve not seen one so bad that task manager can’t deal with it. Any help would be much appreciated.

[QUOTE=peterm6389;2286607]I just installed DVDFab 6 and it works fine if I select whole disk, but if I select main movie or split, the preview window pops up, stays black and then the program hangs so badly that the PC is totally unresponsive and I have to power it down and reboot.

If I select whole disk and rip to the hard drive, then use that as input instead of the DVD R/W hardware, then I have no trouble. The preview window works and I can split just fine.

I know there are other threads on hanging, but I’ve not seen one so bad that task manager can’t deal with it. Any help would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Do you have directshow selected as the decoder or the internal for the preview ?, if internal switch to directshow or disable it all together by un-checking the box next to show perview window automatically.

I don’t know what is selected - I’ll check when I get home. Why would there be a difference between using the DVD disk and the files ripped to the hard drive?

[QUOTE=peterm6389;2286615]I don’t know what is selected - I’ll check when I get home. Why would there be a difference between using the DVD disk and the files ripped to the hard drive?[/QUOTE]

Not sure but if you are talking about a desktop PC and it is an IDE cale type drive maybe there is an issue with the IDE controller or it is being bottlenecked :confused:

The setting was directshow. I changed it to internal and it seems to be behaving now. This is a new PC with a different IDE drive (Optiarc) than I had before (BENQ), although the same OS (XP). My other PC never gave this problem. I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the drive. I can’t successfully burn DVDs using Imgburn from the DVDFab interface either. It never terminates, and the DVD produced is unplayable, but using Imgburn standalone is just fine.

[QUOTE=peterm6389;2286709]The setting was directshow. I changed it to internal and it seems to be behaving now. This is a new PC with a different IDE drive (Optiarc) than I had before (BENQ), although the same OS (XP). My other PC never gave this problem. I’m wondering if it’s something to do with the drive. I can’t successfully burn DVDs using Imgburn from the DVDFab interface either. It never terminates, and the DVD produced is unplayable, but using Imgburn standalone is just fine.[/QUOTE]

The issue with the preview may be related to the graghic card, however about ImgBurn did you use the guide found below in my signature called “Setup” ?

The fact that preview works fine if the files are on the hard drive suggests it’s not the graphics card. However, I did read in another thread where someone was asked if they had an ATI graphics card. They did not so that didn’t go anywhere, but I do (Radeon HD 4870). Do ATI cards have known problems?

I haven’t gone through the setup you suggest. I’ll try it and see if it improves matters.