DVDFab 6.1.0.5 Beta (October 1, 2009)

DVDFab 6.1.0.5 Beta is out
Dear all,

DVDFab 6.1.0.5 Beta is out (October 1, 2009):

http://www.dvdfab.com/download/DVDFab6105Beta.exe

This version add the world’s first all-in-one Blu-ray compression feature, and it is stable and safe for all users.

What’s New:

DVDFab 6.1.0.5 Beta (October 1, 2009)

Happy Chinese National Day! The new China is 60 years old now.
New: Updated language files.

> “DVD to DVD” option:
Fix: Region Code changes cannot be saved in “Settings” window.

> “Blu-ray to Blu-ray” option:
New: Bitrate control is more accurate now, which means the output size is more accurate.
Note: If you encouter freeze problem when copying Blu-ray, please disable “GPU acceleration” in “Settings” window to see the result. We are working on it, and it should be fixed soon.

Thanks Alan

Thanks for the heads up Alan.

[B]Wombler[/B]

Thanks for the update.

regards rip.

Thank you for this update.

Unfortunatelly the new DVD Fab feature for converting a Blu Ray disc into a DVD is NOT working IF a Blu Ray disc contains BD+

At leat with the most recent Blu Ray titles i bough this is true!
Is this correct or is there any anomaly with my system or Blu Ray drives?

Best regards,
hr_muadib

“converting a Blu Ray disc into a DVD”

There is no feature to turn a blu-ray into a DVD.

There is a feature which allows you to compress a blu-ray down to a blu-ray file size that will fit on a dvd. The disk however is still a blu-ray file, file format, needs to be played back in a blu-ray player.

So while the compressed file will fit on a dvd, it is not a dvd. It is a smaller sized blu-ray file that just so happens to fit on the much cheaper dvd. You can use single layer dvd’s or dual layer dvd’s. So if you select bd5 as the final output it will fit on a single layer dvd.

Again there is no feature that turns a blu-ray into a dvd.

Thanks for clearing that up jsmiddleton4

Very well explained

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2444933]“converting a Blu Ray disc into a DVD”

There is no feature to turn a blu-ray into a DVD.

There is a feature which allows you to compress a blu-ray down to a blu-ray file size that will fit on a dvd. The disk however is still a blu-ray file, file format, needs to be played back in a blu-ray player.

So while the compressed file will fit on a dvd, it is not a dvd. It is a smaller sized blu-ray file that just so happens to fit on the much cheaper dvd. You can use single layer dvd’s or dual layer dvd’s. So if you select bd5 as the final output it will fit on a single layer dvd.

Again there is no feature that turns a blu-ray into a dvd.[/QUOTE]

I have not had any success with the compression:sad: I with out fail get the 401 error, and another thing that doesn’t make sense is how can you take m2ts BD files and put them on a standard DVD, yet not view it on a stand alone DVD player, this whole compression thing does not make sense, nice concept, in theory, but in my case unattainable:sad:

“yet not view it on a stand alone DVD player”

I’d say for the same reason you can’t view a non-compressed blu-ray on a dvd player. The compressed file is still a blu-ray file/format. And even though I can burn it with a dvd burner, what it is burning is not recognized by the dvd player. While it can burn the 1’s and 0’s and it actually probably can “read” them at the hardware level, the dvd player can’t interpret them or “see” them because the firmware of the dvd player doesn’t speak blu-ray. So if you try and look at the disk with a dvd player/burner you can’t see what’s on the disk. You have to use a blu-ray player to be able to understand what the 1’s and 0’s mean.

The two I did, Pitchblack and Chronicles of Riddick, worked except for the fast forward, chapter skip, etc.

Both down to a file size that fit nicely on a dvd5/single layer.

“yet not view it on a stand alone DVD”

If you are trying to view it back on a stand alone dvd player it won’t work. Not because the compression stuff isn’t working. It won’t work cause it can’t work. Again IF you are trying to do so.

jsmiddleton4 is correct…just because you put the BluRay movie onto a standard DVD doesn’t mean you can watch it on a Standard DVD player.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2445022]jsmiddleton4 is correct…just because you put the BluRay movie onto a standard DVD doesn’t mean you can watch it on a Standard DVD player.[/QUOTE]

no no that’s not what I am trying to do, I have a BD player, I am just trying to under stand how it is that you can put BD files on a standard DVD, I can’t get the compression to work, and it’s not really all that important that it doesn’t work for me, I guess I am a bit of a purist in this regard, I will always use BD discs to burn my BD files to. :smiley:

@jsmiddelton4, you did help me under stand, why it can’t be played on a stand alone DVD player, thanks :flower:

thanks for the update

“I can’t get the compression to work”

Took me a little while to figure it out as well. I’m used to the simple drop down menu on the dvd stuff, select dvd9, dvd5, at either end of the process, compress when ripping, compress when burning, it took me a bit to figure it out for the blu-ray side.

Seems like the scanning step where dvdfab scans the blu-ray after you select end result file size is faster with the latest beta by the way.

So Main Movie, I unselect all but the dolby digital sound track, I unselect sub titles, then select bd5 as the file size, it scans lots faster and is ready to start the compression burning piece faster. Compression and burning seem to be about the same in terms of time. Still have issue with ff/rew/etc.

touch,

Nothing fancy about a blu-ray disk as compared to dvd disk that makes being able to read the data tied to the blu-ray disk in terms of storing the data. No they are not the same. I understand. But the data stored is still about digital information and storing that information. While its not totally about storage capacity you don’t need all the storage space of a blu-ray disk to store a blu-ray file. Storing the file and the kind of disk its stored on while not exactly 100% the case, it is sorta apples to oranges. The reason they can store the more data that is needed for the high def file is due to the blu-ray technology being able to hold more data. The data that is the movie itself is not dependent on media. Just like a high def movie can be on hd-dvd or blu-ray, etc. By compression a high def video source you can store it on various media of smaller capacity.

So its not a “blu-ray” movie as in it has to be on a blu-ray disk. Its a high def movie whose file size is huge so to accommodate the uncompressed file size you need a blu-ray or hd-dvd disk. By making the file size smaller you can put it on a dvd. The file is still coded by the blu-ray standards and hence needs the blu-ray firmware to “see” it.

I hope that makes sense. And that is precisely why its not making a dvd from a blu-ray. Its still a blu-ray file. Just smaller.

I guess the other way to look at it is from your hard drive. When you rip to and playback the blu-ray file from your hard drive is your hard drive suddenly now a “blu-ray hard drive”? No, its still the same old hard drive. Its just storage space as is the dvd.

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2445170]touch,

Nothing fancy about a blu-ray disk as compared to dvd disk that makes being able to read the data tied to the blu-ray disk in terms of storing the data. No they are not the same. I understand. But the data stored is still about digital information and storing that information. While its not totally about storage capacity you don’t need all the storage space of a blu-ray disk to store a blu-ray file. Storing the file and the kind of disk its stored on while not exactly 100% the case, it is sorta apples to oranges. The reason they can store the more data that is needed for the high def file is due to the blu-ray technology being able to hold more data. The data that is the movie itself is not dependent on media. Just like a high def movie can be on hd-dvd or blu-ray, etc. By compression a high def video source you can store it on various media of smaller capacity.

So its not a “blu-ray” movie as in it has to be on a blu-ray disk. Its a high def movie whose file size is huge so to accommodate the uncompressed file size you need a blu-ray or hd-dvd disk. By making the file size smaller you can put it on a dvd. The file is still coded by the blu-ray standards and hence needs the blu-ray firmware to “see” it.

I hope that makes sense. And that is precisely why its not making a dvd from a blu-ray. Its still a blu-ray file. Just smaller.

I guess the other way to look at it is from your hard drive. When you rip to and playback the blu-ray file from your hard drive is your hard drive suddenly now a “blu-ray hard drive”? No, its still the same old hard drive. Its just storage space as is the dvd.[/QUOTE]

OK, that makes sense, thank you for explanation. :flower:
as for compression I also follow the steps that you mentioned ie.deselecting audio/video tracks not wanted etc. and one of two things happen with out fail, I either get the 401 error or it starts the scan ( which by the way says it is going to take 3 hrs.) then freezes, I will keep playing with it just so I can do it, but as I mentioned in my last post I will stick with BD disc’s I love the clarity of the A/V, on a all HDMI 5.1 system it just rocks. :bigsmile:

Have we gotten an explanation of the 401 error?

For me what I’m looking for is being able to buy a blu-ray and then in compliance with fair use agreements being able to create a file that can be used on mobile media devices that I own.

In my home I’m not giving up full blown 1080p and high def audio either.

This compression step is a step in the right direction and I think its safe to say its just the first steps.

As it is now using a laptop with blu-ray playback software and storing the compressed file on the laptop’s hard drive, watching the movie back on the laptop in the car with an audio patch cable from laptop’s head phone jack and then into my car’s stereo AUX jack is a BIG step forward. Works great. Family watched one of our blu-rays doing just that on trip to Tucson yesterday. Did not need 1080p nor high def audio.

I’m sure my application is wide spread as in WIDE spread. If they can pull this off it will be a real gold mine for DVD Fab’s authors.

Yeah, the 401 is a setting issue it needs to be set at 237000MB in BD-25, but it hasn’t worked for me [U]YET[/U], for me I strictly use my BD’s in my home theater, I don’t have a need for any other application, and there’s a lot of people that come through here and most people don’t handle things properly,
I have lost a lot of DVD’s prior to DVDFab to scratches, dirt and mishandling, so that’s all I need it for is just a backup.

[QUOTE=jsmiddleton4;2445190]Have we gotten an explanation of the 401 error?
[/QUOTE]

Not as such but since Fengtao is aware of this, and has advised adjusting the setting that touchdown_1 has correctly referred to, it seems likely to me that he knows exactly where the problem is and I’d imagine this will be fixed in the next beta.

[B]Wombler[/B]

“I’d imagine this will be fixed in the next beta.”

Cool.

[QUOTE=Wombler;2445337]Not as such but since Fengtao is aware of this, and has advised adjusting the setting that touchdown_1 has correctly referred to, it seems likely to me that he knows exactly where the problem is and I’d imagine this will be fixed in the next beta.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah that would be nice, wonder if he’s getting any closer to a release of BD+