DVDFab 5 Platinum Vista 32 Blue Screen

So there I was, doing a Full Movie copy (with the default navigation tweaks). The reading phase completed without a hitch. I was asked to insert a writable DL disc to write. I did so. The writing started, although I thought a bit slowly.

And then my computer blue screened and died.

This is on a Vista Ultimate 32 bit machine, 2GB of RAM, lots of hard disk space, using a Sony DL reader/writer, running 5.2.3.0.

Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround?

Some further info: after my system rebooted I re-ran DVDFab, and tried to burn the disc by selecting the folder/image file (which was in the default location).

This crashed the program.

Does DVDFab actually work backing up discs? I’ve used the mobile options a lot, successfully, but so far the disc backup stuff seems pretty flaky.

[quote=Diego Garcia;2198668]So there I was, doing a Full Movie copy (with the default navigation tweaks). The reading phase completed without a hitch. I was asked to insert a writable DL disc to write. I did so. The writing started, although I thought a bit slowly.

And then my computer blue screened and died.

This is on a Vista Ultimate 32 bit machine, 2GB of RAM, lots of hard disk space, using a Sony DL reader/writer, running 5.2.3.0.

Is this a known problem? Is there a workaround?

Some further info: after my system rebooted I re-ran DVDFab, and tried to burn the disc by selecting the folder/image file (which was in the default location).

This crashed the program.

Does DVDFab actually work backing up discs? I’ve used the mobile options a lot, successfully, but so far the disc backup stuff seems pretty flaky.[/quote]
Yes dvdfab does work and you have something wrong with the computer not fab. Maybe if you posted more info for us to help you with we can try and fix this problem of yours.

[QUOTE=GJ;2198781]Yes dvdfab does work and you have something wrong with the computer not fab. Maybe if you posted more info for us to help you with we can try and fix this problem of yours.[/QUOTE]

That’s always possible, but it’s not the way to bet, given the large number of other applications – including DVD burning applications – that run on it just fine :slight_smile:

As to more information, what’s the best thing to provide? I looked at the log files, but I didn’t see anything other than some initialization/startup stuff. I presume there’s a way to crank up the logging level?

Just for fun I did run the Visual Studio 2008 debugger against DVDFab when it crashed the second time. That wasn’t the blue screen, obviously, but later when I tried to pick up the backup task by pointing DVDFab at the files it had created and had it try to burn them to a DVD. For that crash, VS2008 reported an error reading memory at location 0…which sounds like freeing a null pointer.

One other piece of information I can pass along is that the files created by DVDFab burned just fine with ImgBurn, which is also installed on the machine. I didn’t configure DVDFab to use ImgBurn, BTW; I just ran ImgBurn and pointed it at the directory created by DVDFab in the Document tree.

Just to be clear, I find DVDFab invaluable for transferring work to my iPod. And obviously the reading end of things works fine, too (or I wouldn’t have had success using ImgBurn). There just seems to be something screwy in the DVD writing subsystem.

Hi Diego Garcia
When you start or run DVDFab do you have any other programs running ro even in the background ?
it seems to me that there is an app running during DVDFab’s process that is/or causing a conflict :frowning:

SJ

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2198972]Hi Diego Garcia
When you start or run DVDFab do you have any other programs running ro even in the background ?
it seems to me that there is an app running during DVDFab’s process that is/or causing a conflict :frowning:
SJ[/QUOTE]

At the time of both problems “only” DVDFab was running. I say only in quotes because, Windows being Windows, there are (almost) always many other processes and programs running on the system.

But as far as foreground programs are concerned, only DVDFab was running.

[QUOTE=Diego Garcia;2199332]At the time of both problems “only” DVDFab was running. I say only in quotes because, Windows being Windows, there are (almost) always many other processes and programs running on the system.

But as far as foreground programs are concerned, only DVDFab was running.[/QUOTE]

It’s the programs and processes running in the background that are the likely culprits. Not anything in the foreground.

Any programs or utilities downloaded from the web? Some of these 3rd party authors don’t pay any attention to the inter-operability with windows and other software. Especially suspect are utilities that leave a process running while the main program lies dormant.

Hopefully the running process will identify which program it’s from, to make ID easy for you. Otherwise, you’re in for a long stretch to find the offender.

O’C

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=O’Canada;2199350]It’s the programs and processes running in the background that are the likely culprits. Not anything in the foreground.

Any programs or utilities downloaded from the web? Some of these 3rd party authors don’t pay any attention to the inter-operability with windows and other software. Especially suspect are utilities that leave a process running while the main program lies dormant.

Hopefully the running process will identify which program it’s from, to make ID easy for you. Otherwise, you’re in for a long stretch to find the offender.
[/QUOTE]

I think that’s looking in the less likely place. The blue screen identified a device driver as the source of the problem (and probably if I’d written down the code number it might even point to which one), and since the newest device driver in the system that was being exercised at that point was the pcouffin one that’s used in DVDFab, I think diagnosis should start by looking there.

How do I raise the logging level of DVDFab so that I can see more of what’s going on as it works?

You can install a startup manager which will help control program components from starting when the system starts, or you can just use it to show you what components are running and allow you to stop which ones you wish not to have running when they are not in use.
The link below is what I use and it is very good and easy to use also it is a freebie :bigsmile:

of course there are program components that are or can be persistent but those can be stopped within computermanagement–>services :wink: