Dvdfab 5 doesn't work

Hello
I have been using Dvdfab 4051 Beta for a while with great success. I use NERO to burn the files once copied to my hard drive. I use Windows Me ( I use Windows xp at work and like ME better, but thats another story).

I downloaded and installed Dvdfab 5230, but it doesn't work now. The free decripter part will load but I have to put the preview setting on internal to get it to work without giving a vf filter error. I put in a dvd and tried to copy something simple and it gives a task 400 error but will leave the vob files copied without the inf and bup files.

I tried the Platinum trial part and it says the VSO can’t start everytime. I have pathplayer enabled all the time and while trying to copy " The Family that Prey’s" when it gets to VOB 6 i get a bunch of read errors from a brand new disc. Is that from a copy protection or the software? Changing from VSO to Nero setting causes Dvdfab not to open at all. How can I turn off the burn part?

I uninstalled and installed Dvdfab 5232 and the same thing happens. In uninstalled both Dvdfab 4 and 5 versions, took out all the Dvdfab references from the registry and reinstalled 4051 and it will work for now.

Why doesn’t the version’s 5 work on my system?
Thanks for all help.

You will need a version 5 registration key, if you have the lifetime update/upgrade you can simply request the new reg key on the dvdfab website.
http://www.dvdfab.com/retrieveregkey.htm

[QUOTE=keepsmiling;2215863] Why doesn’t the version’s 5 work on my system?
Thanks for all help.[/QUOTE]

There are many reasons, but we’ll start with the basics and go from there.
First off, follow my good friend SJ’s advice re: the Fab 5 key.

As far as “how can I turn off the burn part”.
Simply do not choose your burner as the [B]Target[/B].

As you open the app, on the top you have [B]Source[/B].
Typically, this is the original disc that you want to bkup…as in your case.

For [B]Target[/B], simply browse to whatever location on your hdd that you wish.
Fab will rip an image to that location. No burn involved at this point.
Later on, you can navigate to this folder and select it as [B]Source[/B] and burn when you wish.

When you become comfortable ripping and burning in 1 process…
you can also untick [B]Delete temporary files when done[/B] in[B] Common Settings[/B]. This will save the files on the hdd if you wish.

Hello
Still having trouble with the trial Dvdfab5 version. When I launch Dvdfab4051 it doesn’t say anything about not being able to launch the VSO burning engine and will copy different DVD’s just fine. Both versions 4051 and 5232 are on my PC.
When I launch Dvdfab 5232 it always says it can’t start the VSO engine and after I click ok the main page opens like normal. I tried copying “Christmas Vacation” and all i got were the VOB files without the IFO or BUP files. This is what the free decriptor did too.
It gave this error:
15:18:47: Analyzing of DVD started
15:18:48: Analyzing of DVD completed successfully
15:18:48: Copy process started
15:25:53: Task_1 failed! Error=400()

I know I should get the key, but how will it make the free trial copy work correctly on my system when it should already do that?
When I installed the program the first time I didn’t install the VSO engine. I got the “Can’t start the VSO burning engine” message. I reinstalled again and included it this time, but it still gives that message.
How do I copy all the DVD with version 5 like version 4 does?
What settings do I need to choose or how do I configure my PC to run the new Dvdfab 5 series? I’m afraid if I do get the key that the software still won’t work.
Thank you much for all help.

[quote=keepsmiling;2217152]Hello
Still having trouble with the trial Dvdfab5 version. When I launch Dvdfab4051 it doesn’t say anything about not being able to launch the VSO burning engine and will copy different DVD’s just fine. Both versions 4051 and 5232 are on my PC.
When I launch Dvdfab 5232 it always[B] says it can’t start the VSO engine[/B] and after I click ok the main page opens like normal. I tried copying “Christmas Vacation” and all i got were the VOB files without the IFO or BUP files. This is what the free decriptor did too.
It gave this error:

I know I should get the key, but how will it make the free trial copy work correctly on my system when it should already do that?
When I installed the program the first time I didn’t install the VSO engine. I got the “Can’t start the VSO burning engine” message. I reinstalled again and included it this time, but it still gives that message.
What settings do I need to choose or how do I configure my PC to run the new Dvdfab 5 series? I’m afraid if I do get the key that the software still won’t work.
Thank you much for all help.[/quote]
When you installed version 5232 did you allow it to install the VSO Software[B]([/B]Burn Engine[B])…[/B]that may be why you get that pop-up

why do you have the trial ver of DVDF 5 on your system ? if you have [B]"[/B]Dvdfab 4051[B]"[/B] if you are the registered owner why not just request for the new reg key for version 5[B] :confused:[/B] I mean if you have ver 4 you should have the lifetime update/upgrade RIGHT :bigsmile:

Not only that version 4 is no longer updated and you will see some movies that it can’t copy due to the fact that the protection changes all the time so you would need the updates. Also you might want to download (free) ImgBurn and use that as the burning engine instead of the VSO engine or Nero

Hello

Jimbo, I took your suggestion and downloaded Imageburn and installed. I opened Dvdfab 5232 and chose the trial platinum and after getting the message that it can’t start the VSO engine, changed the write setting to Imageburn. I closed it down like it ask, but when I tried to restart, the little hour-glass shows for a few seconds and then nothing.
It won’t start back up. When I press cont-alt-delete it is not listed in the programs that are running. I had to rename the imageburn.exe to another name to get it to start back up and got the message that it could not start the burn engine. Otherwise I couldn’t have gotten back into the program to change any settings.
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but the same thing happens.
I tried redownloading another copy from the Dvdfab.com site with the same results. I haven’t tried to copy a Dvd again since the last task400 error where all I got were the Vob files. I don’t know if this can’t run the burn engines matters with that part. Dvdfab 4 never mentions the engines.
Dvdfab 4 still runs GREAT on my computer.
Got any suggestions as to why Dvdfab 5 won’t?
I use Windows Me. I use Nero 7 to burn the files to a disk. The Dvd is a Lite-on DvdRW LH-16W1P. I use Media Classic Player to view.
Thanks for all your help.

[QUOTE=keepsmiling;2217152]Hello
When I launch Dvdfab 5232 it always says it can’t start the VSO engine and after I click ok the main page opens like normal. I tried copying “Christmas Vacation” and all i got were the VOB files without the IFO or BUP files. This is what the free decriptor did too.
It gave this error:

Thank you much for all help.[/QUOTE]

Looking at your comments in all your posts here, I get the distinct feeling you are running the freebie versions of both ver. 4.X.X.X and 5.X.X.X.

There have been some changes made.

Version 5.X.X.X no longer supports any kind of burn engine, and the files created during a rip are the VOB files only, not the .IFO and .BUP files. The .VOB files can be played with a file player or possibly VLC Media player, but they are cannot be burned ‘as is’ on a DVD and used in a set-top player.

The philosophy behind this is, of course, that Fengtao wants people to buy the full-blown version, with all the bells and whistles, and not get by with the freebie version and some work-arounds.

Basically, you can no longer use the freebie as you once did, and the old version 4.X.X.X that you used to use can’t do the newer protections now being used.

Now is as good a time as any to invest some $$ and get the full version of either Platinum or Gold.

Hope this helps.

O’C

:slight_smile:

I’m not sure of ME but one question is did you have install VSO checked when you installed DVDFAB ? just guessing here

Hello

O’Canada, Thank you for that information. Now, since I need to use Dvdfab5’s burning engine, how do I get it to work?

Jimbo, yes, when I installed it I had the check mark on install the VSO burning engine.

Thank you for all your help.

[QUOTE=keepsmiling;2218027]Hello

O’Canada, Thank you for that information. Now, since I need to use Dvdfab5’s burning engine, how do I get it to work?

Jimbo, yes, when I installed it I had the check mark on install the VSO burning engine.

Thank you for all your help.[/QUOTE]

The burning engine (the VSO one) as supplied for DVDFab, is a .dll file (Dynamic Linked Library) that is controlled by Fengtao’s software (DVDFab).

If you are a programmer, and can isolate the individual routines in the .dll, you can write a program that will utilize that .dll to do your burns.

Or, you could buy CopyToDVD, VSO software’s full program that will do the same job.

Or, you could download Imgburn, and use it to do all your burns, and it comes highly recommended by many of the users on this forum. (and is a freebie!)

Based on your above post, why do you need to use DVDFab’s burning engine?

O’C

O’Canada
I don’t necessarily need to use the VSO burning engine, but in your above post you said that Dvdfab 5 doesn’t support any kind of burn engine and all you get are the VOB files they can’t be burned directly as is to a disk like before and play in a Dvd player. I’m using the Platinum version of 4 now and would like to use the Platinum version of 5 but where do you get the Ifo and Bup files that you need? When I tried to copy with the trial Platinum 5, all I got were the VOB files with an error400. I was hoping that the 5 version of Platinum would include all the files to burn directly to a disk on my computer.
Thank you for you help.

[QUOTE=keepsmiling;2218623]O’Canada
I don’t necessarily need to use the VSO burning engine, but in your above post you said that Dvdfab 5 doesn’t support any kind of burn engine and all you get are the VOB files they can’t be burned directly as is to a disk like before and play in a Dvd player. I’m using the Platinum version of 4 now and would like to use the Platinum version of 5 but where do you get the Ifo and Bup files that you need? When I tried to copy with the trial Platinum 5, all I got were the VOB files with an error400. I was hoping that the 5 version of Platinum would include all the files to burn directly to a disk on my computer.
Thank you for you help.[/QUOTE]

There are a couple of ways it can be done, but any way you cut this cake, it’s going to cost you some $$$.

You can:

A)- Purchase DVDFab, and it’ll do all you want, based on your previous posts.

B)- Purchase and use VSO Software’s ConvertXtoDVD, which will take your .VOB files, give you some pre-determined menus, and generate the .IFO and .BUP files you need for set-top play-back.

C)- Purchase (and learn how to use) DVD-Rebuilder, which will do the same job as B), but will give you greater control over the end result, and will require mucho skull-sweat to learn.

D)- Purchase (and learn how to use) DVDLab Pro, a complete authoring package, a bit easier to learn than C), and will afford you total control over the end result.

E)- Save your money, and sit back and wish you had A), B), C), or D).

The choice is yours.

O’C

Hello
O’Canada, thank you. I have Dvdlab pro but I would like to do “A”, but the problem is that I can’t get it to work. The trial Platinum should do what the registered program does, before it expires, but it error’s out. That is the whole problem from the beginning. Any ideas of why when I try to copy a Dvd that I get :

All that is in the Dvdfab folder is a folder with the name of the Dvd and some VOB files. I haven’t tried to play them and don’t know if they contain the whole Dvd.

Thank you for your help.

[QUOTE=keepsmiling;2218840]Hello
O’Canada, thank you. I have Dvdlab pro but I would like to do “A”, but the problem is that I can’t get it to work. The trial Platinum should do what the registered program does, before it expires, but it error’s out. That is the whole problem from the beginning. Any ideas of why when I try to copy a Dvd that I get :

All that is in the Dvdfab folder is a folder with the name of the Dvd and some VOB files. I haven’t tried to play them and don’t know if they contain the whole Dvd.

Thank you for your help.[/QUOTE]

Sorry… I thought you were trying to get the DVDFab HD Decrypter freebie to do what you wanted… this is a whole different kettle of fish.

So, the 30 day free trial of DVDFab Platinum isn’t working… first of all, where did you download it from? DVDFab.com or DVDFab.net?

From where you are experiencing the error, it looks like you are part way into a rip before the program trips out… is your source disk clean and scratch free?

Is the firmware on your DVD Drive up to date?

The .IFO and .BUP files are, I suspect, the last files to be written, as they have to be updated (especially when you are shrinking a DVD-9 to a DVD-5 format) and that’s probably why they aren’t showing up on your HD yet, as the rip isn’t finished.

Let’s start there and see where it takes us.

O’C

Hello

O’Canada, I downloaded from Dvdfab.com. Everything was checked when I installed it. I tried to copy a different disk and the same thing happened.
16:56:22: Analyzing of DVD started
16:56:23: Analyzing of DVD completed successfully
16:56:23: Copy process started
17:05:02: Task_1 failed! Error=400()

In the folder are only the VOB files, but they will play seperately with Media Player Classic. The Ifo and Bup files are missing.
The disk doesn’t have any scratches and I’m not sure about the firmware of the Dvd drive. Its a Lite-on DvdRW LH-16W1P . The strange part is that I can copy and burn this movie using Dvdfab 4 but get the errors with 5. Is there some setting I need to change? Will clicking not to delete the temp files help?
Thank you much for helping me.

[QUOTE=keepsmiling;2218956]Hello

O’Canada, I downloaded from Dvdfab.com. Everything was checked when I installed it. I tried to copy a different disk and the same thing happened.
16:56:22: Analyzing of DVD started
17:05:02: Task_1 failed! Error=400()

In the folder are only the VOB files, but they will play seperately with Media Player Classic. The Ifo and Bup files are missing.
The disk doesn’t have any scratches and I’m not sure about the firmware of the Dvd drive. Its a Lite-on DvdRW LH-16W1P . The strange part is that I can copy and burn this movie using Dvdfab 4 but get the errors with 5. Is there some setting I need to change? Will clicking not to delete the temp files help?
Thank you much for helping me.[/QUOTE]

OK… can you please advise what, if anything, you have running in the background - virus or spyware checkers, any other copying programs, any disk utilities, etc. etc.

Something is interferring with DVDFabs attempts to read your source disk (which also doesn’t seem to affect ver. 4.X.X.X), but before you decide whether to get the newest version, we should get it working, first.

Do you have any games on your system? Some of them are known offenders for this sort of problem…

I’m concentrating on this because I have ver. 5.2.3.2. running on my system, XP Pro, sp 3, and all (including the VSO engine) work perfectly - never had any problems that weren’t self-generated.

O’C

To Keepsmiling
About the problem "16:56:22: Analyzing of DVD started
17:05:02: Task_1 failed! Error=400() "
can you tell me your system default language?
ant

Hello
O’Canada, the only thing running in the background is Explorer, and AVG, the virus program. I don’t run Nero until I’m ready to burn the disk. I don’t have any games either. I do have some Dvd programs ( Dvdlab, VideoRedo,Isobuster) installed but they are not running.
Ant1rock, as far as I know my default language is English.

[quote=keepsmiling;2219094]Hello
O’Canada, the only thing running in the background is Explorer, and AVG, the virus program. I don’t run Nero until I’m ready to burn the disk. I don’t have any games either. I do have some Dvd programs ( Dvdlab, VideoRedo,Isobuster) installed but they are not running.
Ant1rock, as far as I know my default language is English.[/quote]
Nero have components that run at system startup like DriveSpeed unless you change the setting, also there are other programs/software that do the same that youmay not know of :iagree: Roxio is another :eek:
just throwing my 2 cents in to let you know :flower: