DVDFab 5.2.3.0 Not completing AVI in reality

I switched to DVDFab 5.2.3.0 to try and get Babylon A.D. to AVI format. That was a bust, and I expect that’ll be fixed in a subsequent version.

But that’s not why I’m writing… The problem is, this version of DVDFab Platinum is not actually completing its AVI files. I’m using 2-pass recording. Ever since I updated, it seems that every rip I’ve done to AVI is incomplete. And these are titles that I’d be surprised if they have any protection other than the standard DVD protection…old stuff. But it’s across the board on every attempt I’ve made.

Example of problem: Ripping “The Equalizer” TV Series I just bought, the length of the resultant AVI as shown by Winamp and Windows Explorer details is 48:32. However, it only actually runs to 46:25. It’s doing this across the whole series (not the exact times, but truncating them. Well, I say whole series…so far I’ve only tried the first two discs, but it’s consistently short-changing the rips.

“The Music Man” (from a 3-disc collection I got at Amazon) clocks in at 151:24 in Winamp and Windows Explorer, but only runs to 149:17.

“The Happiest Millionaire” clocks in at 172:31 in Winamp and Windows Explorer details, but only runs to 170:26.

More information on this issue just came to my attention. I figured, “What if it’s Winamp?” It’s really the only player I use. So I just opened a different episode of “The Equalizer” that clocks in at 48:28 in Winamp, Windows Explorer details, and VirtualDub as well. I played it in Winamp and it plays fine through 47:08, then stops. In VirtualDub, it continues–but the sound stream cuts off at 47:08. I tried “The Happiest Millionaire” above and the same issue…subtitles and video continue, but Winamp is cutting out when the audio stream mysteriously go missing (VirtualDub keeps playing the video, but the audio is missing. In the case of something like a TV programme, this is an issue because it’s not just credits that go missing.

So basically, DVDFab claims it’s converting successfully and completely. In reality, it’s ripping all the video and subtitles straight through to the end (just verified on an episode of “The Equalizer”, as well as “The Happiest Millionaire”, using VirtualDub to analyse them). But the audio stream is just stopping dead. This is causing some players to just stop. Even if it wasn’t just Winamp…even if I watched using VirtualDub, the audio going missing for several minutes of dialogue on something without subtitles is kind of a deal-breaker. Even with subtitles it’s a deal-breaker, pretty much. :frowning:

I just checked to be sure (because I usually stop when the credits come on), and all my Battlestar Galactica season 4.0 AVI files play correctly to the very end–but were (I believe, with 99% certainty) ripped using version 5.1.2.2. I think these problems only started when I moved from 5.1.2.2 to 5.2.3.0.

Could the product please be fixed? This is happening across the board to every title, near as I can tell.

My specific settings for conversion are:

Convert to AVI
2-pass
Video+Audio
Fixed File Size 1175MB
No Split
Frame Rate: 23.976 (I think this varies by title…this was The Equalizer)
Audio: MP3, 256kbit, volume 100%
Resolution: (varies by title, 640x480 on The Equalizer)
Subtitles: Render Directly to Video

Obviously some of that changes (resolution, framerate) by title. But overall, I’m always doing 2-pass, restricting to that file size, using that audio format, never splitting.

I’m going to try rolling back to 5.1.2.2 and re-ripping some of this stuff to see if I can get complete and decent AVIs out of that version, since my BSG Season 4.0 rips were fine.

Still, the problem needs to be fixed so I can keep upgrading as new versions that handle newer titles are released. I just bought 3 movies last night, and I’m sure at least one of them will have newer protection, case in point.

Please advise? Great product, and I’ve loved it since we found it. I’m hoping the kinks are ironed out. I see the Mobile engine was rewritten recently, so maybe that’s part of it. I’ve supplied all the info I thought was relevant to the issue. If you need more, please let me know. (The hardware has remained constant…Mad Dog 16x dual layer DVD/RW, Celeron 1.2GHz, 512MB, Windows 2000 SP4.) I’m doubting specific IFO files would even help…like I said, it’s -everything- I’ve ripped in the last week and a half. Get time to sit down and watch it, and…sigh

Thanks!

Have you tried using 1-pass?

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2205624]Have you tried using 1-pass?[/QUOTE]

Negative, but that’s not really the point, is it? The point is, it’s been working fine all this time, now it’s broken and needs to be fixed.

“broken” :eek: Negative…not for me :smiley:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2205639]“broken” :eek: Negative…not for me :D[/QUOTE]

Well, how do you explain 5.1.2.2 working fine, but 5.2.3.0 truncating the audio? Because I just confirmed that the older version isn’t giving me incomplete AVIs on the same discs/episodes…notably, The Equalizer is working fine with the rollback.

[quote=vx2214;2205690]Well, how do you explain 5.1.2.2 working fine, but 5.2.3.0 truncating the audio? Because I just confirmed that the older version isn’t giving me incomplete AVIs on the same discs/episodes…notably, The Equalizer is working fine with the rollback.[/quote]These problems often do not appear for all users and all variations of encoding PCs. I agree with Jethro that 1-pass would probably fix it as a workaround. The authors are in this new sub-forum almost every day, they will see this and look into it I am sure. Also might be worth an update to the latest version.

[QUOTE=signals;2205784]These problems often do not appear for all users and all variations of encoding PCs. I agree with Jethro that 1-pass would probably fix it as a workaround. The authors are in this new sub-forum almost every day, they will see this and look into it I am sure. Also might be worth an update to the latest version.[/QUOTE]

Well, as of 3 days ago (well after I started ripping some of this), the problem version -was- the most recent. :slight_smile: Didn’t I just see this morning that a newer version was released on the 22nd? Since I noticed no explicit notes about my problem (which I’d consider pretty significant), I decided to do a rollback until I get word the problem was addressed–or I have time to putz around and actually just tinker to see if it’s fixed.

Key thing for me right now is time. I want to get to some of this stuff now, and the machine doing the legwork is not the fastest in the world. I wanted to get ‘x’ amount ripped for viewing tonight, so I went with what I knew should work for now.

I’m hopeful that the problem is addressed in fairly short order. It’s a pretty tight window where you can point to it and say, “It broke between 5122 and 5320.” There are a limited number of changes between those two, so at least they have 5122 as a baseline for comparison, since I can verify that works.

Why suggest 1-pass? I’d swear that there was a very good reason I have it take the time to do 2-pass. It was either improved quality (which I’m pretty sure it gives), or file size constraining that it can’t do in one pass (not as sure about that).

What I’m not looking forward to is re-ripping two 2:50ish movies. On a Celeron 1.2GHz. groan :slight_smile:

Maybe you should not be so rude, all I did was ask if you had tried 1-pass. I did not tell tell you do 1-pass. Good luck.

This problem appears to be fixed in 5.2.3.2, which also rectified some read errors I started getting on some programmes (Starhunter, Outer Limits) with 5.1.1.2 that I had rolled back to over this.

I only have two examples so far, but I have two episodes that ripped fine. I think it was fixed between 5.2.3.0 and 5.2.3.2.

[QUOTE=~Jethro~;2205624]Have you tried using 1-pass?[/QUOTE]Yes I have tried 1 pass.

This is still an issue with 5232.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f163/no-sound-last-2-minutes-movie-265195/

Movie plays through but sound stops short about 2min.

I would have never found it if the credits on Planet of the Apes (1968) were not so short.

I would call this a sev 1 bug

Still an issue in 5232. Disc 2 of Starhunter ripped all episodes with truncated audio. Strangely, disc 1 was ok. It’s really odd.

This really needs a fix ASAP. Mobile is useless with this issue.

[QUOTE=vx2214;2214946]Still an issue in 5232. Disc 2 of Starhunter ripped all episodes with truncated audio. Strangely, disc 1 was ok. It’s really odd.

This really needs a fix ASAP. Mobile is useless with this issue.[/QUOTE]I reinstalled 5122 and 1 pass no problem but 2 pass with 5122 just bogs down to <10fps.

More info. Ripping the disc that ripped with the audio stopping ~2min short under 2-pass, I tried it under 1-pass on 5232 and it went the full distance on an episode that was known bad under 2-pass. So apparently there’s something to that theory some folks had. I can confirm.

So…that hopefully narrows it down even further.

Could Fengtao or someone from DVDFab please acknowledge that they’re aware of this problem and whether or not they’re going to fix it, please? Haven’t seen a new release, and the lack of any confirmation/interaction in this thread from the developers has me a bit concerned. I use this product a -lot-, so it’s kind of a staple workhorse for me.

Additionally, as long as I’m at it, even as far back as 5122, I’ve been getting these randomly generated beeps/buzzes periodically. Lasts about 1/8 of a second, and may have a slight silence on either side of it (usually only on one side of it, I think). It’s like a sound artifact of some sort. This persists even in 5232. It happens on anything I rip…multiple titles, different publishers, etc.

I could live with the sound artifacts–that’s fairly minor, if annoying.

The audio stopping short on 2-pass is a deal-breaker. Please fix this?

Thanks!

hi,

Sorry for reply this thread so late, I will check this problem and do some test by using 2pass, and hope can repeat the problem.

Thanks.

[QUOTE=Ting;2215656]hi,

Sorry for reply this thread so late, I will check this problem and do some test by using 2pass, and hope can repeat the problem.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]Sound stops short on 1 pass as well.

Generic.avi.xvid.audiocopy
Generic.avi.xvid.MP3
DVDFab Mobile 5.2.3.2

5.1.2.2 1 pass audio all the way to the end, 2 pass in 5.1.2.2 so slow I just canceled it but the 2 pass problem is fixed in 5.2.3.2 although 1 or 2 pass does not complete the audio, always about 2 min short on a 2 hour movie.

Same problem using Zune Profile (H264, 1 Pass). Last 2 mins of audio lost.

DVDFab Ver: 5.2.3.2
Zune Profile, H264
1 Pass Conversion

Source video ok, will convert with no issues using alternate converters.

I might also note that it appears to be ~2min missing no matter the run length of the source. It can be 42min, it can be 2.75hrs. The approximate 2min from the end doesn’t really seem to deviate much from the duration of missing audio.

[QUOTE=leed;2215855]Same problem using Zune Profile (H264, 1 Pass). Last 2 mins of audio lost.

DVDFab Ver: 5.2.3.2
Zune Profile, H264
1 Pass Conversion

Source video ok, will convert with no issues using alternate converters.[/QUOTE]We need more people to check the last 2 minutes for their rips, I’ll bet this is very wide spread.

Any update on this? Still encountering the problem. I’m re-ripping something to be sure, but it may have just bitten me in 1-pass on the last episode of a disc.

This really should be a priority fix. It’s an absolute disaster for TV programmes.

Confirmed. Starhunter, Disc 4, Region 1. Using XVid+MP3 1-pass, I got the first six episodes to rip correctly. Episode 7 is missing the last 2 minutes of audio after two goes at it. So this affects 1-pass as well, it’s just not as frequent. (I say this because I’ve done 3.8 discs of the series just fine with 1-pass, and this is the first episode of this series that was malformed under 1-pass.)

Trying again with H.264, although I’m not hopeful, given some other posts here.

Ting, any joy?