DVDFab 5.2.2.2 Crash :(

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-216D. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Help please.

Just got new comp - so not sure where prob is… however, here are details

Vista Ult 64bit
Pioneer DVR-216d - Firmware 1.09
DVDFab 5.2.2.2

When copying a DVD - the copy process works fine… it copies to the DVD directory in “Documents”, then it ask me to change to blank media, but when it starts to try and burn, it crashes. Not much details on the crash - but what I have is detailed below.

What I did notice was that If I changed the burn engine (in common settings --> DVD --> Write) from VSO to Nero - the burn process worked OK.
Burnig does seem to work in Nero (Ver 7.11.10.0) - so nothing intrinsicly wrong with burner?

Anyway - only other info I have is the info from the Vista problem report - which says…

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: DVDFab.exe
Application Version: 5.2.2.2
Application Timestamp: 4951b16b
Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a783
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0005a55a
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 2057
Additional Information 1: bfef
Additional Information 2: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863
Additional Information 3: bfef
Additional Information 4: e8adce1c2b9e7be834b4063ac3c53863

Extra information about the problem
Bucket ID: 1069545269

Anyone else seen this? … Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Will you post the log please. You can find it here unless you changed the path [B]C:\Documents and Settings*owner*\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B] i believe that’s where it is in Vi$ta 64 bit. I’m using my XP Pro 32 bit boot right now.

Yup… I suspect the VSO burning engine may be the source of the crash problem you are having, especially in light of the fact that the Nero engine seems to work OK.

Instead of the Nero 7 burning engine, which recent reports indicate doesn’t write the AUDIO_TS folder to the DVD, which may not be an issue with your Pioneer stand alone, could be a big issue with any earlier models of any brand you try playing your DVD on, as that Nero 7 missing folder is necessary for backwards compatibility.

Suggest you may wish to use Imgburn instead of Nero, to maintain compatibility.

(At least until VSO updates their software, and gets rid of some of the current bugs).

O’C

:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Bob;2187135]Will you post the log please. You can find it here unless you changed the path [B]C:\Documents and Settings*owner*\My Documents\DVDFab\Log[/B] i believe that’s where it is in Vi$ta 64 bit. I’m using my XP Pro 32 bit boot right now.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for feedback (both you and O’Canada) - extra info as requested - shout if you need more.

Cheers

OK - here is the log for the session

And the info on the Disc in case it helps (though it crashes with any disc)

[QUOTE=Yoji;2187163]Thanks for feedback (both you and O’Canada) - extra info as requested - shout if you need more.[/QUOTE]Is that all that was in the notepad log? Should be more than that.

[QUOTE=Bob;2187171]Is that all that was in the notepad log? Should be more than that.[/QUOTE]

Thats all - I suspect it is because it crashed before it got to write any more, but then it seems to close off with the “log session stop” tag? :confused:

I dont understand it - but that is all thats in the log :frowning:

Cheers

yeah i was hoping to see more info than that. Well like O’Canada said try ImgBurn. I only use ImgBurn with DVDFab and it works great. When i install DVDFab i go ahead and install VSO burn engine but i never use it.

What is the MID (Media ID) of the blanks you use and what speed are you burning them at? You can get the MID info by using Nero CD/DVD Speed in the tools section of Nero. Put one of your blanks or a burned DVD and click on Disc Info with CD/DVD Speed.

[QUOTE=Bob;2187191]What is the MID (Media ID) of the blanks you use and what speed are you burning them at? You can get the MID info by using Nero CD/DVD Speed in the tools section of Nero. Put one of your blanks or a burned DVD and click on Disc Info with CD/DVD Speed.[/QUOTE]

Discs are branded Kodak - Manufacturer ID (according to Nero) is AML 002
and are 8x media

I had just left DVDFab on auto - I had not specificed anything. If I recall - DVDFab did recognise it as 8x

Cheers

I don’t know if it would help but next time you purchase blank media grab some Verbatim branded blanks. AML002 are not the best but not the worst either. With buying Kodak brand they could be anything as they don’t make their own media. Same with Memorex and most other brands.

Try burning Verbatim 16x at 12x or even 8x for best results.

[QUOTE=Yoji;2187218]Discs are branded Kodak - Manufacturer ID (according to Nero) is AML 002
and are 8x media

I had just left DVDFab on auto - I had not specificed anything. If I recall - DVDFab did recognise it as 8x

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Please check out www.digitalFAQ.com/media - There is info there you may find very eye-opening.

AML002 is the Mfr. ID of Advanced Media Ltd., Taiwan, and is one of the poorest media you can buy (the chart I downloaded from the above site rates those discs as landfill only…)

No wonder your program crashed when the write started.

Most on this site recommend Tayo Yuden (available from web-based outlets), Verbatim, (available from your local stores like Staples, etc.) and my personal experience favours Sony (either +R or -R, which I buy from Wal Mart - usually at a good $$$)

FYI

O’C

[QUOTE=O’Canada;2187614]No wonder your program crashed when the write started.
[/QUOTE]

Lets not get confused… The media is OK, it may not be the best, but works 100% reliably with Nero, it also works 100% reliably on my old Vista machine with DVDFAb using VSO burning (Sony Burners).

May be the combo of Vista 64/Media/VSO/Pioneer is just a “perfect storm” which means it does not work. I will try with other media - but wont be holding my breath for a different outcome.

I normally do go for Verbatum - but my wife picked up the kodak, nearly finished them - and I will be back on verbatum.

Cheers

[QUOTE=Yoji;2187742]Lets not get confused… The media is OK, it may not be the best, but works 100% reliably with Nero, it also works 100% reliably on my old Vista machine with DVDFAb using VSO burning (Sony Burners).

May be the combo of Vista 64/Media/VSO/Pioneer is just a “perfect storm” which means it does not work. I will try with other media - but wont be holding my breath for a different outcome.

I normally do go for Verbatum - but my wife picked up the kodak, nearly finished them - and I will be back on verbatum.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Glad to hear you’re going back to Verbatim media…

I don’t agree with your ‘perfect storm’ theory… manufacturers who produce a product that doesn’t interface with other hardware, or causes problems such as you are experiencing, soon find themselves with a lot of unsold hardware… the word travels quickly…

I wish you luck with the Kodak discs… I just hope that 6 mos. or so down the road, you don’t discover that your ‘100% reliable with Nero’ discs have magically transformed into coasters… the cheapies are notorious for that trick…

Happy burning!

O’C

Good point…

Yes - I was only talking about the burning/crashing issue, not the long term viability of the media.

But just to confirm - I got some Verbatum media (Manf Id = MCC 004) and it did not improve the situation… it still crashed :frowning:

Anyway - at least I can now eliminate the media as the culprit :wink:

Thanks for all your help - I have a workaround, but lets just hope they get the VSO buring bit sorted soon.

Cheers

Some people have problems with the VSO burning engine so you might want to try the Imgburn burn engine, if you don’t have it. it’s a free d/l

UUmmm… Not quite sure how to put this… But thnk the initial problem may have been pilot error :o

Noticed with the 5.2.3.0 update, it said there was an updated VSO burn engine - so I thought it may fix my problem.

I flew through the upgrade install and then thought “hang on, wasnt there an unticked VSO option back there?” Redid the install and saw that the install VSO engine option was not ticked. So ticked it and now all is working fine. May be the new VSO fixed - but I suspect it was because I did not have that option ticked in the first place.

So may be in future release…

1. Not sure why its an option not to install the VSO engine - but if it not there - the app should warn you… not crash (e.g. it does warn you if you try to select the img engine and its not insatalled).
  2. Dont put the VSO install option on the same screen as rubbish options like desktop icon and quicklaunch icon. and if they untick - may be warn.

Anyway - apologies for wasting your time.

Cheers

Yo-

Sure hope that the new and improved VSO engine is as good as the 5.1.x.x ones - 'cause the 5.2.x.x one sucked giant wienie - and the ImgBurn results are not as good as the old VSO engine-eh!!