DvdFab 5.1.0.0 crashes after restarting w/ new settings

vbimport

Hi all!

I’ve been a user of DvdFab for about a year on an XP machine. Upgraded to new Vista (Home Premium) machine, installed DvdFab 5.1.0.0 platinum. I saved the setup file and my reg key in “my_name\Documents\DvdFab,” and ran the setup file as administrator. The first time I tried to run DvdFab, I got a Windows error message, and the OS shut down the prog.

I ran the prog as admin the next time, and it did fine–no Windows error. I double-clicked the reg key and all was well. I changed the default settings to “Dvd9” and “Folder” respectively under the Dvd–>Dvd heading. Prog stated that it had to restart. OK. Prog would then only run for 1-2 seconds before closing itself. Task Manager verifies that it is completely shut down. Tried SEVERAL more times to open prog with no luck using various Compatability settings. Still shut down after 1-2 secs.

Searched this forum until my eyes started to bleed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did a clean uninstall per StormJumper’s guide (thanks, btw :slight_smile: and reinstalled. Opened as admin, did fine. Closed prog and re-opened as admin, did fine. Closed and re-opened as admin, changed default settings. Prog restarted itself and immediately closed. Back to shutting down after 1-2 seconds. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? Thanks in advance for replies!

[quote=landmouse;2143645]Hi all!

I’ve been a user of DvdFab for about a year on an XP machine. Upgraded to new Vista (Home Premium) machine, installed DvdFab 5.1.0.0 platinum. I saved the setup file and my reg key in “my_name\Documents\DvdFab,” and ran the setup file as administrator. The first time I tried to run DvdFab, I got a [I]Windows[/I] error message, and the OS shut down the prog.

I ran the prog as admin the next time, and it did fine–no Windows error. I double-clicked the reg key and all was well. I changed the default settings to “Dvd9” and “Folder” respectively under the Dvd–>Dvd heading. Prog stated that it had to restart. OK. Prog would then only run for 1-2 seconds before closing itself. Task Manager verifies that it is completely shut down. Tried SEVERAL more times to open prog with no luck using various Compatability settings. Still shut down after 1-2 secs.

Searched this forum until my eyes started to bleed. :stuck_out_tongue:

Did a clean uninstall per StormJumper’s guide (thanks, btw :slight_smile: and reinstalled. Opened as admin, did fine. Closed prog and re-opened as admin, did fine. Closed and re-opened as admin, changed default settings. Prog restarted itself and immediately closed. Back to shutting down after 1-2 seconds. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? Thanks in advance for replies![/quote]
The problem is the Vista Home version, you will need to run DVDFab by selecting “Run as Administrator”.

Sorry 'bout the confusion…when I typed that I opened the prog as admin, I meant that I right-clicked the icon and chose “Run as administrator.” Next time I’ll skip the abbreviatons! :bigsmile:

Make sure that DVDFab is on the DEP “Exception"list and you have a tick mark next to"Run DEP for all programs and Services except those I select”

also “Disable” Windows Defender before installing DVDFab and entering the reg key

OK, sorry for the delay. Still closing itself after a second or so. Here’s what I did.

Complete uninstall per your guide, ran CCleaner, then the built-in reg cleaner that comes with it (I know it doesn’t scan very deeply, but it did find LOTS of DvdFab related stuff to delete; I scanned over and over until it didn’t find anything else), then re-booted system. Checked DEP list to make sure nothing was there. Turned off Windows Defender and S&D Tea Timer. Right-clicked installation package and ran as administrator. The installer rebooted my system (which it had NOT done previously). I turned off Tea Timer again and made sure Windows Defender was still off. I right-clicked DvdFab–>Properties–>Compatibility then checked “Run as Administrator”. I opened program, which took me to a Register Your Program splash screen. With that open, I double-clicked the key, which then restarted DvdFab. It shut down within 2 seconds.

I checked the DEP list again and there were [I]2[/I] instances of DvdFab listed, both checked. I tried to open the program again, making sure that “run as Administrator” was still checked. It crashed again. Went back into the DEP list, deleted both entries and clicked [Apply], then clicked [Add], found the DvdFab executable under Program Files, then clicked [Open]. The DEP list then contained one instance of DvdFab, which was checked. I clicked [Apply]. Tried to open the program again, making sure the “Run as Administrator” box was still checked. It shut down within 2 seconds again.

I’m sorry this is so long, detailed, and boring, but I don’t wanna leave anything out. Must be my meticulous nature. sigh

facedesk I’ve been working on this noon.

Update:
I checked the “Run this program in compatability mode for” [Windows XP SP2] box [I][B]with[/B][/I] the “run as administrator” box also checked. The program statyed open five times! Then I changed the default options as per my original post (to Dvd9 and Folder in the Dvd to Dvd heading), restarted the program, and it shut down. Back to square one. I’ll check back on the forums tomorrow.

Here is a flash breaking news for you my friend…NOTE…turning off Windows Defender does not stop it from blocking programs from making changes to the registry or your system turning it off only stops the scanning process…that is why I said to “Disable” it which can be done in “Computer Management”–>“Services” and you will then have to double click on it to open it’s “Properties” and select “DISABLE” in the dropdown window and click apply after that click on the “Stop” button then click OK and restart your system…PLEASE Note when the system does restart you may or will see an popup stating it did not start(just close that until you do what you need to do.

Also in the Advance Settings properties on the DEP tab you need to make sure there is a tick mark at the location I said before, again…note…DVDFab is configured to run on Vista and it is not nessary to use Compatibility mode for it.

another thing when doing a clean uninstall the steps that I have layed out in the guide must be done by you…note…the steps that you took did not remove the bootfiles that the system uses when starting a program these bootfiles are known as "Prefetch"files–> .pf

Since you are running Vista Home Premium :Z your account is limited even as Adiminstrator but adjustments can be made to increase your limition, I had it before upgrading to the Ultimate version so I do know the downside of running the Home Premium version

End of message…Have a nice day :flower:

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2143728]Here is a flash breaking news for you my friend…NOTE…turning off Windows Defender does not stop it from blocking programs from making changes to the registry or your system turning it off only stops the scanning process…that is why I said to “Disable” it which can be done in “Computer Management”–>“Services” and you will then have to double click on it to open it’s “Properties” and select “DISABLE” in the dropdown window and click apply after that click on the “Stop” button then click OK and restart your system…PLEASE Note when the system does restart you may or will see an popup stating it did not start(just close that until you do what you need to do.

Also in the Advance Settings properties on the DEP tab you need to make sure there is a tick mark at the location I said before, again…note…DVDFab is configured to run on Vista and it is not nessary to use Compatibility mode for it.

another thing when doing a clean uninstall the steps that I have layed out in the guide must be done by you…note…the steps that you took did not remove the bootfiles that the system uses when starting a program these bootfiles are known as "Prefetch"files–> .pf

Since you are running Vista Home Premium :Z your account is limited even as Adiminstrator but adjustments can be made to increase your limition, I had it before upgrading to the Ultimate version so I do know the downside of running the Home Premium version

End of message…Have a nice day :flower:[/QUOTE]

hi i am not sure ifit belongs here but does aybody know what is the best tool to use to protect a dvd-video from copy protection…tks

If you are ask what tool to use to protect your CD or DVD’s from being copied by some one then you are the same boat as the movie and music companies which has spent millions trying to do.
BUT there are steps that can be done to make it harder for them to break your protection.

[QUOTE=StormJumper;2143754]If you are ask what tool to use to protect your CD or DVD’s from being copied by some one then you are the same boat as the movie and music companies which has spent millions trying to do.
BUT there are steps that can be done to make it harder for them to break your protection.[/QUOTE]

Yes but then that is why DVDfab and Slysoft exist cause they hurt legit users rather then help them…so they can help the customers enjoy the movie experience or give money away to dvdfab and slysoft…I think they choose the latter…

I agree with you my friend, but I think maybe killerman is talking about protecting Data and not video files but then again not sure cause killerman didn’t really go into detail.
Which is really off topic of this thread, but in any case if it is just data then there are ways for protecting that data, but again off topic sooo…End of message. :cool:

Have a nice day :flower:

StormJumper, :bow: I apologize for not getting back on this thread to thank you for your help; hubby lost job the day after my last post, so DvdFab took a backseat in the problems department! You were absolutely correct in your instructions, and DvdFab works without a hitch now.
Thanks again!

[quote=landmouse;2223030]StormJumper, :bow: I apologize for not getting back on this thread to thank you for your help; hubby lost job the day after my last post, so DvdFab took a backseat in the problems department! You were absolutely correct in your instructions, and DvdFab works without a hitch now.
Thanks again![/quote]
Hi landmouse
No need to apologize :disagree:
sorry to hear about the job loss seems to be a common issue these days :frowning:
glad I was able to help :wink: also nothing wrong with being in the backseat, of course that’s if your not alone that is :bigsmile:

Have a nice day :flower:

Why are you running 5.1.0.0?

Mike
This thread is from October.

His last post was from 2 days ago. Maybe he switched since beginning.

The OP is not a he, but a she or I wouldn’t have made the comment about the backseat like I did :bigsmile:
@ signals her issue was just resolved two days ago :wink: