DVDFab 5.0.4.0 – Pianomans Bug Report

vbimport

Hi folks!
I’ve been playing around with DVDFab and I’m pretty impressed by its capabilities and features. Though I’ve encountered some problems which keep me from using it as my main backup tool. I’d like to share my experiences to help improving this great app!

1. DVDFab’s output of “Customize Split”-Mode is not compatible with VLC 0.8.6h.
    I backed up “Charmed” Season 7 Disc 4 and tried to split it to two discs. On disc one episodes 1 and 2, on disc two episodes 3 and 4. I kept the menu and removed the unwanted stuff. See my settings in the screenshot below.
    The output of DVD was set to “Folder” and created two folders I called “Charmed S7D4.1” and “Charmed S7D4.2”
    VLC is able to open the DVD and jumps straight to the menu – OK! But after I selected an episode (e.g. episode 1 or 2 on disc1) it just hangs! It “jumps around” between two window modes – see my screenshots below.
    Though, Power DVD 8 Is able to play the files properly.

2. The new preview mode works fine after installing the latest ffdshow!
    The only annoying thing is it always jumps to the beginning of the selected title after changing the audio stream…
    Besides: ffdshow is OpenSource, isn’t it? Why not integrating it by default? I’m not sure if every user wants to install the whole ffdshow, maybe it could cause problems on some setups. Maybe fengtao can “extract” the necessary parts of it and integrate them into Fab.

I tried another thing: I used the old “Customize”-Mode and did the whole thing again in two-step-mode.
At first I created a DVD where I deselected everything except episodes 1 and 2 (and kept the menu), then I started from scratch and deselected everything except episodes 3 and 4 (and kept the menu). See my screenshot below.
“Remove annoying PGCs” was ticked.
This way, the output plays perfectly fine in VLC and PowerDVD!!!

Hi Pianoman
Earlier versions of Customize Split worked for me with VLC, but I haven’t tried one with 5.0.4.0 yet. Will try it and post results. I think some work is being done on Preview. Which of the ffdshow downloads in that link did you use?

VLC 0.86f does not cope well if you click on titles that are on the other disc, but otherwise worked well for the one I just tried (opened with File->Open Directory->VIDEO_TS). WinDVD5 had no problem. I love VLC and use it often, but not for IFO playback of DVDs. One difference, the disc I used as a Source did not have any “annoying PGCs”, the FBI Warning etc. were individual titles.

[QUOTE=signals;2083363]Hi Pianoman
Earlier versions of Customize Split worked for me with VLC, but I haven’t tried one with 5.0.4.0 yet. Will try it and post results. I think some work is being done on Preview. Which of the ffdshow downloads in that link did you use?[/QUOTE]

I used this one.
FFDShow 2008-06-22 (rev. 2019) was compiled by drevil_xxl.

[QUOTE=signals;2083409]VLC 0.86f does not cope well if you click on titles that are on the other disc, but otherwise worked well for the one I just tried (opened with File->Open Directory->VIDEO_TS) .[/QUOTE]

I use the latest version 0.86h and use to drag’n’drop the VIDEO_TS folder onto the VLC window.

Further, all my backups made with AnyDVD+CloneDVD work great with any software player (including VLC). This is the reason I use my SlySoft apps as primary backup strategy.