DVDFab 5.0.1.0 stops working

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Pioneer DVR-111D / DVR-710. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a registered copy of DVDFab Platinum Edition v5.0.1.0 installed under Windows XP Professional SP3, and up until last night (October 24th) there have been no serious problems with it.

I use two Pioneer DVR-111D burners as my F and G drives, and they have also always performed flawlessly with DVDFab.

But suddenly the program takes up to 30 or more seconds to launch both from the desktop shortcut and executable file itself, and when I attempt to use it with any title, it tells me that there has been a read error probably due to copy protection and asks me whether I want to enable Path Player and allow it to restart the program to do this.

Unfortunately any bitmap screen shots I try to make of the error dialogue have corrupted file headers, then the program soon locks up and does not respond to task manager’s command to end the task.

HELP!!! :bow:

Could you please assist me with this as my all time favourite program is suddenly on the blink and I am unable to use it without it eventually locking up my computer and trashing the screen graphics, requiring a forced restart and the expected check disk test on start-up?

I downloaded 5.0.1.5 beta and the result is still the same. :a

Thanking you in advance for any assistance you can possibly give me with this puzzling and frustrating technical issue,

Yours sincerely,

reeman50 :doh:

Will the program open with no discs in either drive? If it does, go to Common Settings->Preview and UNcheck both of the top two checkboxes, then restart it and try reading a disc again. Have you installed any new software that reads or writes DVDs/CDs?

Some members get this issue if DirectShow is selected for the Decoder on the Preview settings page and selecting Internal has resolved the issue for them. :wink:

Thanking you sincerely for your replies but I have already tried both of these suggestions, and it made no visible difference to my problem.

I have not installed any other DVD copying software, although I did attempt to install DVDShrink 3.2, but the mouse cursor froze on the screen and the installation aborted.

I disabled my anti-virus and firewall programs (both from PC Tools), both when installing DVDFab and trying to copy DVDs for my own personal use from my own private collection.

These are neither rental nor ex rental discs.:disagree:

I did discover that Windows Defender was the main cause for the program opening so slowly, but it still takes significantly longer than normal when Defender was uninstalled and the computer rebooted.

I also noticed that the DVD analysis bar that you normally get when a DVD is in the drive also prematurely aborts, then tries again at least a couple of times, but never really quite completes the job.

I seriously doubt that it is due to a copy protection error (Region 4 - Australia), as I have copied most of these discs before with earlier versions, as well as a couple with the same version 5.0.1.0, and it was working fine last week.

I have back tracked through any new software I have installed within the last few days since then and uninstalled these, but still no joy. I really do miss my favourite all time program, and would definitely be grateful for anyone who could work out what is happening.

My next step will be to manually copy the error dialogue I keep getting, since the print screen feature does not seem to want to work (as I described above).

I will get back to you with this information as soon as I pluck up the courage to try it again, without it totally stuffing up my computer’s OS, as it appeared to have done with the trashed screen graphics, which is precisely why I changed the DirectShow setting back to internal.

Keep up the good work people as I will not let this defeat me,

Cheers,

reeman50 :clap:

[quote=reeman50;2146211]Thanking you sincerely for your replies but I have already tried both of these suggestions, and it made no visible difference to my problem.

I have not installed any other DVD copying software, although I did attempt to install DVDShrink 3.2, but the mouse cursor froze on the screen and the installation aborted.

I disabled my anti-virus and firewall programs (both from PC Tools), both when installing DVDFab and trying to copy DVDs for my own personal use from my own private collection.

These are neither rental nor ex rental discs.:disagree:

I did discover that Windows Defender was the main cause for the program opening so slowly, but it still takes significantly longer than normal when Defender was uninstalled and the computer rebooted.

I also noticed that the DVD analysis bar that you normally get when a DVD is in the drive also prematurely aborts, then tries again at least a couple of times, but never really quite completes the job.

I seriously doubt that it is due to a copy protection error (Region 4 - Australia), as I have copied most of these discs before with earlier versions, as well as a couple with the same version 5.0.1.0, and it was working fine last week.

I have back tracked through any new software I have installed within the last few days since then and uninstalled these, but still no joy. I really do miss my favourite all time program, and would definitely be grateful for anyone who could work out what is happening.

My next step will be to manually copy the error dialogue I keep getting, since the print screen feature does not seem to want to work (as I described above).

I will get back to you with this information as soon as I pluck up the courage to try it again, without it totally stuffing up my computer’s OS, as it appeared to have done with the trashed screen graphics, which is precisely why I changed the DirectShow setting back to internal.

Keep up the good work people as I will not let this defeat me,

Cheers,

reeman50 :clap:[/quote]
With the cursor freezing on you and also unable to install DVD Shrink it sounds like you have other issues within your system, when was the last time you did a system cleanup ?..
Run the Disk Cleanup Utility located at…All Programs–>Accessories–>System Tools…after that run the Disk Defragmenter (same location).

Also make sure you have at least 15% FREE HARD DISK SPACE(no less then10%)…another thing to do would be to shut down all programs that are running in the background, having to many programs running in the background will cause your CPU to get bogged down and the response time will get so slow your system will stop or shut down programs so the CPU can function properly.

Also I was going over all of your other threads on issues with other DVDs and did not see anything on how much ram you have, with all the factors that I stated above having a small amount of ram can be a key factor with this problem.

where did you get dvdshrink? have you checked it for viruses?

http://www.cdfreaks.com/software/Copy-DVD-Movie-Software/DVDshrink/DVDShrink.html

[B]DVDFab Platinum is now working perfectly normally[/B], as is also WinDVD 7.0, DVDShrink 3.2 and a host of my other favourite programmes which worked fine last week.

Eventually I realised through some nifty detective work on my part as well as the excellent support and advice given to me on this forum (as always) that all of these problems and possibly many more I was unaware of were caused by my software firewall still being enabled while my machine was offline, with it’s network cable disconnected. :o:o:o

I wish therefore to humbly apologise for wasting your valuable time with this, and honestly feel more than a little embarrassed that I did not recognise this earlier. At least it proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that the firewall is protecting my data and peace of mind from internet attacks as well as rogue programmes already on the hard disk, which attempt by devious means to launch an attack on my PC from within.

If you are planning to ever use these and any other programmes on the internet, then it appears at least for my firewall (PC Tools Firewall Plus) that full access permission must first be granted to it. :cop:

If however you want to be able to use any DVD related software including both players and burners, then close down entirely your network connection, and remember to temporarily disable the firewall. Equally importantly, do not forget to re-enable it before re-connecting!!! :disagree:

This was not evidently necessary when I used the firewall which is included with Windows XP. Doesn’t this say something about the level of protection or false sense of security which it provides it’s users with? :a

When installers say that you should first disable all programmes running in the background before proceeding, the most likely to cause problems candidates are software firewalls, anti-spyware, as well as anti-virus utilities.

I have learned all of this through bitter and frustrating first hand experience. I only hope that this discussion thread will save others from having to go through what I did over the last week or so.

I came very close to getting rid of many of the software tools which have served me well over an extended period of time, including of course DVDFab Platinum Edition, for which I have always received a level of quality and support that puts the commercial software companies to shame.

Thanks again from the bottom of my heart everyone, for coming to my rescue,

Yours sincerely,

reeman50 :bow::clap::bow::clap::bow::clap:

reeman50
If you are using the Windows firewall then you will find that most programs are going to have issues because Microsoft as designed it to be very strict when it comes to modifications to the system and Internet access, I didn’t know anyone ever used it because it was or is a known fact.
You should think about getting a personal firewall one with friendly user interface and easy program controls, I use ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite on all my rigs

I may have failed to make it clear that I used the firewall supplied with Windows XP until last week, and am now using PC Tools Firewall Plus, as I found that one of the major components of Zone Alarm was using most of the CPU resources and slowing everything down to a crawl. Plus on the morning of the second day I had it installed, it stopped working for me without any logical reason for doing so.

But I am puzzled by your statement that the XP Microsoft firewall was particularly strict about which programmes permission was granted to, as in my own experience I found it to be the complete reverse of what you have just described is the norm.

For example I never had to disable the XP firewall to use my DVD software, either online or off in the past.

Since I have started using the PC Tools firewall late last week, I do need to go offline first, then disable it in order to use my programmes as freely as I did before I changed over to PC Tools for both my antivirus and firewall, and dumped Windows Defender at the same time once again because it is a resource hog.

In addition I now use a Netgear hardware router to provide yet another layer of protection between my computer and my ISP’s network as well as the internet itself, already having had my system infected several times over by trojans and worms picked up apparently from perfectly reputable and genuine websites. :doh:

Thanking you all once again,

Signing off now

reeman50 :iagree:

i have experienced that windows xp firewall does pretty much nothing and will allow most anything with out even asking if it should be allowed. i have never had windows firewall interfere with anything i was trying to do. which infact is a negative.

additionally i use avast4 home anti-virus, zone alarms free firewall and run 24/7 BOINC. i do not disable anything when doing dvd ripping or burning, not even BOINC. i have no problems with my dvdfab or imgburn, trust me i test about every 4th burn and verify every one with stand alone playback. http://club.cdfreaks.com/2141395-post49.html

although i am glad you have found the culprit and hope this information will be helpful to others as well. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: