DvdBurners Cause Dvd to freeze up after several burns

I have gone through several DVD burners over the past couple of years. They have all failed in the same way. you will be watching a burned DVD on a home theater DVD player and it will start freezing up. It gets quite annoying. Usually when it first starts doing this if you slow the write speed way down it works but only for a few more burns. If I was to guess I would say I only get around 150 DVD’s out of a Burner. Right now I am using a LG multi burner, prior to this it was a Lite On, Than Plextor and (2) Sony’s This is in a three year span. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks

Your problems are probably not the burners themselves. This type of behavior is often times caused by using poor quality disks, or disks that do not match up well with your burner.

You don’t mention what types of media you are using now. And I’ve heard that LG drives can be quite particular about the disks you use in them. Your best bet is to use Verbatim 16x media, and burn either at 8x or 12x speed. Another good choice would be Taiyo Yuden 8x +R disks, found online at shops like rima.com and supermediastore.com (if you are in the US).

Are you getting any error messages as you burn the disks? Do you get completely failed burns at any time?

I am using LG DVD-R disks. I bought them the same place I bought the burner.

@ DrtBikDave,

Welcome to the Forum.

The problem you are describing in you initial posting is typical classic problem when poor quality problematic blank DVD Media is used to make a back up copy of the original Commercial DVD Movie Title and not a problem with the DVD Burner used to make the back up copy DVD. Suggest using known proven quality error free DVD media that consistently produces quality error free results such as Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim Media.

Unfortunately stating you are using “LG DVD-R disks” doesn’t provide information on exactly what DVD-R Media you are actually using. LG doesn’t manufacture any DVD Media – these LG DVD-R disks were actually manufactured by a DVD Media Manufacture that LG sub-contracted with to manufacture the DVD-R Media for them and LG just puts the LG Logo on the package of DVD Media.

The definitive manner to identify DVD Media is by using the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of the Media. To obtain the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) use a utility software program similar DVDInfo (http://www.dvdinfopro.com/). For trouble shooting provide the Media MID (Manufacture ID and Media Code) (Example: TYG02) of the problematic “LG DVD-R disks” you are using.

Regards,
bjkg

Alright, Thanks I’ll check it out.