Dvdafb + Appletv + Ac-3?

vbimport

Hey folks,

I cannot figure out how to get dvdfab to rip a dvd movie into the appletv format with AC-3. All I can get is a file with the AAC format. Yes, I have added the appletv prest into dvd fab, but still I cannot change anything to ensure I get the ac-3 stream. Anyone know how to do this please? :slight_smile:

The profile will need to be modified to provide audiocopy instead of AAC. Does the device support AC-3 (don’t have one)?

Wow Signals…thanks for the quick reply!

Sorry to ask another dumb question, but how can I modify the profile? I have tried to look for the option, but I cannot find it. Sorry to be a nusuance :slight_smile:

No problem! I will show you but I need to know more about the device. What file envelope(s) does it accept for video+AC-3 audio? MKV? AVI? etc.

This might help:

• H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store): Up to 5 Mbps, Progressive Main Profile (CAVLC) with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 1280 by 720 pixels at 24 fps, 960 by 540 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats
  • iTunes Store purchased video: 320 by 240 pixels, 640 by 480 pixels, 720 by 480 pixels (anamorphic), or high-definition 720p
  • MPEG-4: Up to 3 Mbps, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps (maximum resolution: 720 by 432 pixels at 30 fps) in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Cool bro. Appreciate it. The apple tv does take video + ac3. The file extension has to be .m4v.

Thanks for the specs Jethro. Been reading up on this at the Apple website too. It is not clear to me how it likes to get AC-3 and it apparently treats it as a “passthrough”. But I note that they offer to “rent” you a movie that has it, so it must support it somehow. Hopefully some other iTV users will chime in. I found a test profile I made a few months ago for the unit with DOESNOTWORK added to the filename, so I guess a little more reading is in order. DVDFab doesn’t seem to support generation of .m4v files directly, but from what I have read (?) you can change the suffix of a .MP4 formatted file to m4v.

I hope there are others that may be experiencing this - I really like DVDfab. But so far I can only get it to output the audio stream in aac(2 channel audio). I know using g-spot, the file only has 2 stereo channels. :frowning:

Please dvd fab developers, is there a way 1 can edit the xml profiles and add the correct lines of code to enable .m4v with ac3(5 channels) audio please?