DVD±RW: Priority CD Audio Extraction

vbimport

So, I’d first like to admit I’m somewhat uncomfortable in my knowledge of the ins/outs of optical drives. I typically like to know way more than is healthy on a subject - but optical drives are one area where I’m (relatively) lost.

I’ve got a new workstation on the way and I’m looking to outfit it with two drives.

I’ll be dual booting XP & Ubuntu & possibly another variation of Linux - I plan on being in Linux 95% of the time and that’s where my audio stuff will be happening (EAC under WINE + SlimServer).

I’ve got a large FLAC library I’ve extracted over the past 2 years or so. SlimDevices SlimServer serves that library up to an SlimBox3 (and next week sometime a SlimDevice Boom). I’m probably 200 discs away from completing this two year adventure and purchasing maybe 5 new discs a month.

I’ll be stealing a Plextor PX-716A drive from another machine (I’ve had the drive for several years and its had a pretty good workout - still running well). I’d like to add another DVD±RW to the new machine and replace the stolen Plextor w/ a DVD±RW (since it seems choices in CD only drives are dwindling).

My priority by a large margin is CD audio extraction quality/reliability (am I correct in referring to that a scanning?).

I don’t do much burning but, when I do, quality is important.

Speed is a consideration but not an overwhelming one.

I haven’t done much in the way of DVD extraction but, at some point, I’d like to backup my personal collection - again, quality/reliability would take precedence over speed.

I also plan on starting to do some DVD playback w/ the addition of a nice 24" LCD (NEC 2490 I’m thinking).

Oh, and it has to be SATA (no PATA options on the new machine).

Don’t care about Blueray at this point.

$40-$50/drive is about what I’m looking at but that can be revised if it needs to - I really only need one addt’l high quality drive for the new workstation - I can accept less for the older machine as it’s going to become a test/backup machine.

From what I’ve read so far, Samsung 223 and Pioneer 216 seem to be favorites but don’t rate highly in the CD Scanning category.

So, to summarize:

It has to be SATA
CD Audio Extraction quality/reliability is top priority
I may find myself doing more DVD extraction and playback but maybe not.
Blueray isn’t a factor nor is Lightscribe.
Speed is nice but not a huge deal - especially on the burn.

If I’ve left any important details out - just let me know.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks!

John

The burner reviews on the main page here all include audio extraction tests. LiteOn drives are often good for this, and cheap.

Thanks! I’ll read in more detail tomorrow but I take it you’re referring to the LH-20A1S & LH-20A1L (the LH-20A1L being the litescribe version of the S)?

[QUOTE=CDan;2123081]The burner reviews on the main page here all include audio extraction tests. LiteOn drives are often good for this, and cheap.[/QUOTE]

Correction - the Plextor is a PATA drive so I guess it’ll be staying in the older machine.

So, I’m looking for two drives for the new machine.
And probably two different make/model in the event the first comes across a disc it really doesn’t like
(I’ve had a dozen or so of those w/ the plextor - just decides it would rather not read it when a laptop drive will).

[B]One additional requirement[/B] - low noise/low vibration (relatively speaking - I know they’re all going to get a bit loud when going full bore).

[QUOTE=poorbadger;2123055]
I’ll be stealing a Plextor PX-716A drive from another machine …

I really only need one addt’l high quality drive for the new workstation - I can accept less for the older machine as it’s going to become a test/backup machine.
[/QUOTE]

I have an IDE LiteOn LH-20A1H and, as CDan mentions, it is very good for this (it’s my main ripper in the other machine, for audio, movies, whatever). The SATA versions perform similarly, from what I recall of the reviews.

If you’re after another make that’s also a good ripper, then check out our Samsung 203B review here - I have the 203N, which is the LightScribe version of the drive, and it is my main ripper on this machine. :slight_smile:

Edit: Just saw your edit…and the Liteys are…somewhat loud at full speed - my 20A1H has always been loud, I just learned to live with it LOL. The Samsungs are a little quieter.

Thank you Arachne! I was actually just reading the 203B review (or at least doing my best) :slight_smile:

With regard to noise with the LiteOn - is that only when ripping/burning at higher speeds? How does it compare to other units with simple CD/DVD playback? I don’t really care about noise while ripping/burning (I’m not usually in the room) but normal playback would be an issue.

Although, having two different units and using the lower noise unit for playback probably negates the issue for me.

Thanks,

John

[QUOTE=Arachne;2123263]I have an IDE LiteOn LH-20A1H and, as CDan mentions, it is very good for this (it’s my main ripper in the other machine, for audio, movies, whatever). The SATA versions perform similarly, from what I recall of the reviews.

If you’re after another make that’s also a good ripper, then check out our Samsung 203B review here - I have the 203N, which is the LightScribe version of the drive, and it is my main ripper on this machine. :slight_smile:

Edit: Just saw your edit…and the Liteys are…somewhat loud at full speed - my 20A1H has always been loud, I just learned to live with it LOL. The Samsungs are a little quieter.[/QUOTE]

Hi again John :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t usually watch DVDs on either of my PCs, so I couldn’t tell you how loud the LiteOn is doing that, but I do listen to audio CDs, and the LiteOn is reasonably quiet during that…mind you, I have a very loud CPU fan on that machine, so there’s a chance that drowns out any noise the Litey may make during playback, hehe :wink:

The Samsung is definitely the quieter of the two drives though, in all respects.

OK - sounds like one LiteOn 20A1 and one Samsung S203 fit the bill nicely.

Thanks everyone!

[QUOTE=Arachne;2123263]I have an IDE LiteOn LH-20A1H and, as CDan mentions, it is very good for this (it’s my main ripper in the other machine, for audio, movies, whatever). The SATA versions perform similarly, from what I recall of the reviews.

Edit: Just saw your edit…and the Liteys are…somewhat loud at full speed - my 20A1H has always been loud, I just learned to live with it LOL. The Samsungs are a little quieter.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Arachne;2123302]Hi again John :slight_smile:

Well, I don’t usually watch DVDs on either of my PCs, so I couldn’t tell you how loud the LiteOn is doing that, but I do listen to audio CDs, and the LiteOn is reasonably quiet during that…mind you, I have a very loud CPU fan on that machine, so there’s a chance that drowns out any noise the Litey may make during playback, hehe :wink:

The Samsung is definitely the quieter of the two drives though, in all respects.[/QUOTE]