DVD±RW in Stand Alone DVD Player?

In anyones experience, have they successfully played a DVD+RW or DVD-RW movie in their stand alone DVD player?

If it doesn’t recognise a couple that I have tried could it mean that it won’t recognise any, or is it a hit and miss process and that I should try other media types.

you can try book-type setting if your burner supports it

LDW 411S and FS0H…will give it try this weekend…thanks

Didn’t help here, my player spits all RW discs right back at me.

i had read elsewhere today that software and DVD media play a big part in whether a DVD+RW will work in a standalone not to mention hardware capabilities and that it is a bit of a hit and miss as to whether you get the right mix etc etc…example: some people were having trouble with NERO and others having success with Sonics Record Now, CloneDVD and DVDShrink…

Used a Verbatim DVD+RW 1x-4x (Media Code MKM-A02-000)

Movie tested fine in Standalone (Nintaus 9901) using LDW 411S FS0H (have not played the whole movie from start to finish though so cannot verify if glitches exist…the fact is though that the standalone is recognising the movie…

I’ve had no problems in playing all 4 formats (+/- R/RW) in my Toshiba SD3800 and Denon DVD900 players, including before and after bitsetting on the +Rs. This is using the 411S, FS0F for -R (Ritek G04 4X)/one -RW (Pioneer 1X), and a few +Rs (Ricoh R01 4X)/one +RW (Ricoh W11 4X), and FS0H for +Rs. The “reference” player, Sony DVPS7000, just refuses to play anything except for originals.

Originally posted by thehulk
i had read elsewhere today that software and DVD media play a big part in whether a DVD+RW will work in a standalone not to mention hardware capabilities and that it is a bit of a hit and miss as to whether you get the right mix etc etc…example: some people were having trouble with NERO and others having success with Sonics Record Now, CloneDVD and DVDShrink…

the media only plays a role if/when its quality is so bad that a standalone that can otherwise read that type of disc can’t read it, in which case the alternative is to use better media. otherwise, media doesn’t really affect the equation that much. the types of media that are more “compatible” are the ones of higher quality.

I agree with AZImmortal. I’ve burned countless DVD’s and have experimented with and endless supply of stand alone DVD players. 98 our of 100 play just fine. Every now and then you’ll get one that doesn’t play +R media (Most players I’ve worked with do have problems playing RW Media, wether it be +RW or -RW) but most do. Most problem are relaited to I believe a poor understanding in how to burn a movie, something that can be fixed by using user error proof programs like DVDXcopy or simply by bad media.

the media only plays a role if/when its quality is so bad that a standalone that can otherwise read that type of disc can’t read it

Not quite that simple. I have a player that seems to prefer crappy CMC over TY and Ritek. It’s about reflectivity.

I have a player that won’t read pressed DVD’s. I want a new one. :frowning:

Originally posted by rdgrimes
Not quite that simple. I have a player that seems to prefer crappy CMC over TY and Ritek. It’s about reflectivity.

i’m not so sure it’s strictly about reflectivity, as dvd+rw has the same reflectivity as a pressed dual-layer dvd, but some standalones can’t read them even with the booktype set to dvd-rom.

as dvd+rw has the same reflectivity as a pressed dual-layer dvd

Very doubtfull, where did you get that information? Even different RW discs have different reflectivity, as do all other media types.

this article is the best i could find on short notice. i’ve read it from several sources before though.

It works in my Pioneer DV-454. I use Memorex DVD+RW 2.4x with my Philips DVD+RW-D01 burner. In the beginning I found out that when I used any version of Nero older than 5.5.10.35 couldn’t be read by the Pioneer, but with 10.35 it works just fine.

dvd+rw working well in my nintaus standalone player

bought an el chepo melody dvd+rw to test if media quality was a factor and with my very limited technical expertise in all matters optical, the answer seems to be writing software…

how i arrived at this conclusion…well…same disc, same backup movie, same standalone player, differrent writing software = two different results…(that is, one software created a dead burn in standalone, whereas the other software played fine in standalone)

go figure…!!!

Hello, for more info if your standalone dvd player supports dvd+rw (if it is Philips or other brands etc.)
see this test-site:
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/dvdplayers

I have an provision home standalone dvd player and I first backup my dvd’s on a philips dvd+rw to see if the movie has no bugs in it and it does it without problems.
(the cheaper an dvd player is the more it’ll play all kinds of dvd discs, cause their technology was based upon working compatibility with cheap cd-rom’s)

Originally posted by thehulk

In anyones experience, have they successfully played a DVD+RW or DVD-RW movie in their stand alone DVD player?

In the past I used to have some issues with the burnt DVDRs when playing those in my 5.5 y.o. standalone Panasonic A-350.
The DVD-RW media wouldn’t play at all.

A while ago I bought a cheap Chinese DVD player United DVD5057M and all has been fine since then.
All the so called crappy media is now perfectly playable in it, including all my DVD-RW stuff.

I wrote about it here

They play fine in my Pioneer DV-C503. Then again I think I could put a donut in there and it would tell me what flavor it is. I’ve not come across anything it can’t read yet, cd, dvd, svcd… anything.