DVD±(?)RW buy advise

Rite ive been dwelling in the dvd writer realm the last 2 weeks and it has left a bit of bad taste . A local shop sold the liteon 411S for a more then reasonable price so i picked it up . Bought a 25 dvd spindle of dvd-r media to go with it . Came home tried it , wouldnt burn succesfull on them , it burned to +r’s great though . Then another shop started selling BTC’s and my m8 got one , his drive burned my -R’s and i was still in the ‘not happy get a refund’ period so i returned my 411S without really testing diff settings/media to get the best burn result . I installed the BTC and in my computer it didnt do much but burn coasters and even made my system very unstable . The unstability got fixed trying diff setups , software , firmware etc . But still the drive in my computer produced disks of very poor quality IF they did work at all (5-10% successfull , semi working disks , always some dvd-rom or standalone in my house they didnt work on + very poor Kprobe scanresults). So today i returned the BTC and going against my instinct i might try another drive , but this time i’m gonna do some proper research on em . These are a few questions i got about dvdwriters .

-DVD-r : supposedly the most compatible media when you plan on copying dvdmovies and using them in standalones . But here’s my situation . I got a philips dvd633 standalone and it plays +R disks without a glicth (well the 1 i burned using the liteon) . Ive heard this is the media type of the future so when you got a standalone which plays em and any future dvd player purchase will also play em (if what i heard is correct) why should i still want a drive that has good -r support ? Do i still need a dual format burner ?

-When looking for the most stable drive what brand is usually named , i think ive seen pioneer mentioned . I’m looking for a drive that works without having to much to worry about firmware or cheap media support and one that isnt labeled ‘works for some , doesnt for others’ like the 411s or by own experience the BTC

-Copyprotection : I use writers for either databackup or movie/series backups . Do movies have copy protection and if so does a writer need to have certain features to be able to bypass em . If so which brands/type should i concider keeping in mind the above .

Well lets start off this lengthy post. The 411 made from LiteOn is a piece of sh*t, as almost everyone has made that clear. The LDW-811S that LiteOn makes, however, is very good. Haven’t had any problems with it so far, although I have only used DVD-R media. The Pioneer and Plextor are also very good burners to choose from.

As for DVD+R being the way of the future, there is absolutely no way of telling the outcome of the “format war”. DVD+R is able to be burnt the fastest, but as most people can tell you, faster is not always better. From what I can tell DVD+Rs will win for the recordables and the DVD-RAM will win for the ReWritables.

Yes, DVDs do have protection. There are several programs you can use to get around this. If you get the LiteOn 811S you will get a program that comes with it called DVD X Copy Xpress. It is specified for LiteOns though you can use it with other DVD burners. DVD Decryptor is a good program for getting the movie onto your HD. I’ll refer you to this website for more information regarding the backing-up of DVDs.

Originally posted by Alexstarfire
Well lets start off this lengthy post. The 411 made from LiteOn is a piece of sh*t, as almost everyone has made that clear.

NOT TRUE!

Ohh really, just browse the LiteOn forum and see how many people are having problems with that d*mn drive.

Ohh really, just browse the LiteOn forum and see how many people are having problems with that d*mn drive.

If there seem to be lots of problems with a certain device, this doesn’t have to mean that there’s actually something wrong with the device. As always, there are people that have problems with their optical device, that’s a very normal thing.

That said, please consider that the number of problems depends on the numbers of sold devices. Let’s say that 10% of all the users of a certain drive have problems with it. If that drive’s been sold for just 500 times, most likely, we won’t get more than 10 questions about it here. However, if this drive has been sold 500000 times, there will be loads of people here asking us for help…and that’s still the same perfcent… (I guess I just explained the difference between absolute and relative).

Yes - I own a 411S & YES I have had issues!

BUT, you have no right to say quote “The 411 made from LiteOn is a piece of sh*t” because NOT EVERYONE has issues with them!

True not everyone has problems with it. From what I’ve seen though, it either work or it doesn’t. There is no inbetween.

True not everyone has problems with it. From what I’ve seen though, it either work or it doesn’t. There is no inbetween.

Well, search for my posts because I have an inbetween!
My 411S does work BUT it give’s poorer than expected results with certain media.

So YET again - your post is inacurate!

Whatever it’s not worth fighting over.