DVD±R DL 2.4x

vbimport

I need a dvd recorder that can write DVD±R DL @ 2.4x. I have a couple recorders and the lowest speed I can achieve is 4x. Are there any new models supporting low speed. I want to do that for quality purposes. When I write DL on higher speeds there are not playable on consumer dvd players.

What brand of DVD+R DL discs are you burning?

Please provide an example of a drive that can’t burn a 2.4x DVD+R DL at 2.4x. I tried a large stack of drives and didn’t find a single one that was unable to burn a 2.4x DVD+R DL at 2.4x.

Now I am testing on MAXELL DVD+R DL 2.4-8x

I tested on a couple cheap DVDRW Samsung & LG. Yesterday I tested on SAMSUNG SH-224DB/BEBE and I wrote again on 4x.

Also on LG GH24NS90 I can write 2.4x media only at 4x.

[QUOTE=bfc;2706160]Also on LG GH24NS90 I can write 2.4x media only at 4x.[/QUOTE]FWIW, the GH24NS95 supports 2.4x. The Optiarc AD-5280CB Plus also does 2.4x. So does the Asus DRW24B1ST i (Lite-on clone). Unfortunately these are the only drives I have to test that are still currently sold. I tested a lot of older drives and didn’t find any with that limitation.

I wouldn’t really recommend that Optiarc unless you need to overburn DVD+R DL media, and the ASUS I got from Newegg was garbage (really bad burns) though its probably a bad drive. The LG was decent, but has limited burning speed choices. Frankly, if I were buying a new drive now I’d head to eBay and get a “new pull” Optiarc AD-7200S unless your dead set on 24x burning capability.

[QUOTE=bfc;2706137]Now I am testing on MAXELL DVD+R DL 2.4-8x[/QUOTE]
Those are not quality blanks. Verbatim DVD+R DL are all we recommend around these parts for DL media.

I was considering to test an Optriac drive because the last time I burned a DVD DL at 2.4x was on a Sony Optriac BluRay Burner but I do not remember the model. Anyway DVDRW are very cheap and I can order an AD-7200s and test it.

You’ll probably have to get specifically 2.4x media to force 2.4x in your current drive, if you can find no other way. And I mean media that was made to be burned at 2.4x max (and was maybe later oversped to 4x, 6x or 8x. I am thinking of Verbatim’s 2.4x +R DL, MKM 001).

An analogy: when 8x single-layer media was first released, the corresponding 8x drives supported 2(.4)x, 4x, 6x, and 8x. By the time of 20x drives, support for the lowest 2(.4)x write mode was disappearing from a number of manufacturers, and few 8x or faster drives ever supported the lowest DVD-R specification speed of 1x on 8x DVD-R media.

In a way, the same thing is happening here. Plus, if a drive manufacturer finds it not worth the time to support a wide range of speeds for a given disc model, they won’t. (Some drives burn lower-quality 8x +R DL disc models at a maximum of 6x or even 4x, for example.)