DVD9 vs. DVD5. When do YOU use each?

vbimport

Some of you may always use Fab at the DVD9 setting, while others (trying to save money, like me) may save your double layer discs for some burns, and use the DVD5 setting for the rest. For those that do, I’m curious - at what level of compression necessary to accommodate DVD5 media do you ‘splurge’ and go with DVD9?

The choice is related on the source movie. If the source has a high bitrate, then a higher amount of compression will give better results than a movie with low bitrate.

The best way to decide is to test by yourself. Simply compress a little segment (just a couple of minutes) at the percentage calculated to compress the entire movie, and compare it with the same segment uncompressed. If in your television you can’t see any difference, then that value is good. If you see artifacts, then is better to use a DVD9 :slight_smile:

To not waste a disc, you can use a rewritable DVD.

I usually rip to DVD9 size movie only with no menu. You would be surprised how many commercial movie DVD’s are 4.36GB or smaller ripped this way. That way there is no transcoding in the rip.
If the rip is larger than 4.36 then I use DVDRebuilder to do the compression. I prefer an encoder to a transcoder.
I don’t do DL discs .
If I feel I need a simple menu I use a software named tittlewriter to create a menu. This also requires no transcoding or encoding .

I mainly use DVD5 for most movie titles and use “Main Movie” mode and to reduce the amount of compression needed I remove the credits at the end, as for DVD9 I save those for special movies with great interactive menus and my TV series which normally has between 5-7 episodes per disc :smiley:

I’ll be devil’s advocate here and say that with modern computers, the time spent using a true encoder has been reduced to the point that using a transcoder like Fab or similar programs makes very little sense for most dvd backups. Unless there is only a trivial amount of compression, where it is certain that nothing but B frames are touched (say no more than 5% reduction in size), I always use an encoder instead. The great advantage that the transcoders once had was speed. This has basically been nullified by modern computer systems.

And a good encoder can produce great results compressing virtually all commercially made movies down to the size necessary to fit a single layer recordable dvd.

I [B]have[/B] found that many tv series dvds have been compressed quite a lot just to fit many episodes onto each disk. For those, you’re probably better off going to DVD9.

I recently have done a TV series. Each commercial disc had 4 episodes except the last which had other extras. I used DVDShrink to cut the 5 discs into 6 discs with 3 episodes each. The 3 episodes averaged 5.13GB . I added a simple menu which added nothing noticeable to the size. Then I compressed them with DVDRebuilder. My computer isn’t too fast & it took around 2 hours to do the compression. To me the compression wasn’t noticible when the discs were played on my wide screen TV.

Frankly I can’t remember the last time I needed a DL disc…Most of the time ‘main movie only’ backups suffice for my needs…And if it does need some compressing, Fab or Shrink do a good enough job(most of the time) for my taste budz…
Well hell, now I’m thirsty!..It [I]is[/I] beer-thirty somewhere!..:bigsmile:

Here’s how I do my backup.

DVD9 to DVD9

DVD5 to DVD5

I keep the same formats and compatibility so I can take the dvd out and play it on another standalone and runs just like the original would run. Some like to do the NAS but when your not at home or unable to connect to your network not having the dvd handy is better then not being able to watch any movies. I like to be able to give myself the options of what to do in the dvd menus rather then get bits and pieces of the movie with the formats already set already.

[QUOTE=cholla;2590001]I recently have done a TV series. Each commercial disc had 4 episodes except the last which had other extras. I used DVDShrink to cut the 5 discs into 6 discs with 3 episodes each. The 3 episodes averaged 5.13GB . I added a simple menu which added nothing noticeable to the size. Then I compressed them with DVDRebuilder. My computer isn’t too fast & it took around 2 hours to do the compression. To me the compression wasn’t noticible when the discs were played on my wide screen TV.[/QUOTE]

This is exactly my idea, but to save some more discs I’m trying to convert each episode to mkv using the H.264 codec. Menu are not more needed, and the mkv container can still retain dual audio, chapters and subtitles :slight_smile:

Thanks for the responses!

I rarely use dual layers myself.:iagree: I DO use the DVD9 (and “movie only”) Fab settings, and then use Shrink to fit it onto a single layer disc. On ‘special’ movies, where I want a pristine copy, I’ll go to dual layer - and, thanks to [B]SJ’s[/B] tutorial :bow: , I’m a Jedi at setting those layer breaks!

:wink:

@ geno888, I’ve only worked with mkv a small amount & not with a TV series ripped from a commercial DVD . I probably will work with mkv more as time goes on to see if it better suits my needs. With blu ray discs it may be the best choice. I haven’t started working with blu ray yet either as I don’t have a blu ray drive or player.

@ rosariorose9 , I rarely compress with DVDShrink. When as I posted above I use it to “cut” some video I want I don’t compress the cuts with DVDShrink . That way it doesn’t transcode the “cuts”.
You can get a free version of DVDRebuilder . Give it a try sometime for compressing to DVD5 size. See if you think the results are better than DVDShrink. The free version uses HCEnc 23 unless this has been updated. I have changed mine to use the HCEnc 26 beta .
As far as I can tell the results are about the same.

Thanks, cholla, I’ll give it a try! :flower:

I never use DVD9 with this software, because I’ve never once gotten it to burn successfully. It’s made a few coasters, but never a DVD9 I could play in a set top DVD player.

This may be because I’m using an external Sony DRX-820U burner. Yesterday, I ordered a pair of Sumsung IDE burners, and I’m hoping things go better with those.

I use other software (CDBurnerXP) to burn DVD9 data discs, but never movies. I’ve tried ImgBurn, and that’s never worked, either.

Teh DVDFAB will burn a d/l disc with no problem using the VSO or the Imgburn engines, either you are burning to fast, using junk media, or setting wrong, do you have Imgburn set up right to use with DVDFAB, please check a post by stormjumper because he has instructions on how to setup Imgburn with DVDFAB in his sig.