DVD8031/ HP DVD 300c?

vbimport

One of my friends received this +RW burner from someone, but very little is known about it. We did a search already on google, but came up with NOTHING. The label on the burner says DVD8031/33 and is manufactured by Ionics EMS in the Philipines and when hooked up the pc it shows “HP DVD Writer 300c”, which would imply that it was made by HP. The manufacture date is MARCH 2003.

Anyone happen to know what this exactly is ? The new NERO supports it and also recognizes it as the HP 300c.

Originally posted by Izzo
One of my friends received this +RW burner from someone, but very little is known about it. We did a search already on google, but came up with NOTHING. The label on the burner says DVD8031/33 and is manufactured by Ionics EMS in the Philipines and when hooked up the pc it shows “HP DVD Writer 300c”, which would imply that it was made by HP. The manufacture date is MARCH 2003.

Anyone happen to know what this exactly is ? The new NERO supports it and also recognizes it as the HP 300c.

But how did the someone get the drive?

HP DVD Writer 300c sounds like HP DVD300i which is most probably based on NEC ND-1100A. HP does not make its own DVD writers.

He’s allowed to test the burner for a few days and then he has to return it. He’s received burners before for testing purposes. It’s just that nothing could be found about this specific burner that peaked his attention and mine.

Originally posted by Izzo
He’s allowed to test the burner for a few days and then he has to return it. He’s received burners before for testing purposes. It’s just that nothing could be found about this specific burner that peaked his attention and mine.

I see. Why not try Nero InfoTool? :wink:

I have a HP DVD Writer 300c. The mark on the HW is “Philips DVD8301/44”. I have not found any specific info about the drive, it supposedly has the same specs as 300i/300n, that likely is based on NEC ND100A.

I have no idea what the difference between DVD8301/33 and 8301/44 is. I have found very little info about the drive.

HP just says that you get a DVD 300, not what version…

I just helped my parents buy a HP A365C PC which included a DVD Writer 300c which is marked as Philips DVD8301/44.

They don’t want the DVD drive so I’ll be taking it home.

I’ll run some benchmarks when I get home next week and post the results.

HI, DVD8301/44 is the code of Philips Optical Storage and IONICS EMS is the who manufacture this drive, ionics is a sub contractor of philips drive that sell in the Europe and US. Philips design this drive and called it as “DATA3” drive while HP order drive from Philips and put in the EEPROM the HP 300c word so customer will know that it is HP brand. NEC also order this drive,

bytheway, i work in this company for 3 years so know all this, if you any question about this drive fell free to ask… :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info sharpedge.

I know I haven’t followed up on my offer for benchmark a year ago but I’ve been a bit busy…Moved across the country, changed my job and had a baby :slight_smile:

Anyhow, I’ve been happy w/ the drive. Have not had a coaster yet and burned over 100 DVD’s both +R and +RW.

Let me know if anyone wants to know the brands. I just ordered RIDATA 100 pack from Newegg for $26 after rebate and should get it in next few days.

Can anyone help me find the installation disk for HP DVD Writer 300c? Also, I installed the 300c and now my NEC NR-7900a CD writer burns at 8x instead of 24x. Any ideas?

Thanks

Most likely there is no installation disc needed because standard windows drivers will fully support the writer.

As to the problem with your NR-7900a, I think you probably installed the 300c on the same IDE channel but it defaulted to PIO instead of DMA, thus slowing the NR-7900a down to PIO levels as well. Please check the properties of your IDE Controller in the Windows device manager and make sure that and make sure that DMA is selected for the 300c.

Hello everybody,
I have a problem, I got a philips dvd+rw 400 series drive from a friend without software. My computer recognises it as a HP dvd 300c drive but I am unable to read dvd’s and due to the lac of firmware I am unable to update the driver in win95. Can anybody help me?

Need to install DVD software like PowerDVD. Not sure if there are many programs that will run okay with a W95 machine.

Thank You Furballi
I will try downloading and installing the software
But should n’t I first update my driver in win95, because now it sees it as a simple CD-rom drive?
anyway thank you for the quick responce

No special driver required. If you’re working with w95, then you may not have sufficient power to run most DVD software, even the older proggies. 400 MHz is usually the lower limit for smooth DVD playback.

Thanks again Furballi
I already downloaded several DVD players but all of them are giving me trouble, missing DLL etc…
But I will keep on trying. You are probably right about the power needed, but I hope to solve this in the near future by upgrading my PC.
Again thank you

sharpedge, do you know exactly the quality of the Philips DVD8301/44 - HP DVD Writer 300c?
I have bought it from second-hand shop, after an hour search the internet for its specification, I have found that every one had used it had the same opinions, they said that it’s very bad, sometime it can’t recognize cd…
Do you have any ideas?
Thanks in advance