DVD5 Dual layer?

Copied to file, then when I try to burn the file, it says I need to use a dual layer dvd…this is just young guns dvd, and doesnt say dual layer…copies just fine, it’s when I go to burn…any help?

Kodiak-

Blank Media Size Selector(DVD5 or DVD9) : For short movies or to make a long movie fit on a DVD5 single layer disc, choose DVD5. DVDFab will compress the material to make it fit; choose DVD-9 to make a copy with no compression and burn to double/dual layer blank disc. The Quality percentage reflects the amount of compression; 100%

http://docs.dvdfab.com/index.php/Main/RunningProgram

if the blank dvd to be burned is a single layer choose dvd5, if blank dvd is a dual layer choose dvd9.

troy

[QUOTE=kodiaknamaste;1920999]Copied to file, then when I try to burn the file, it says I need to use a dual layer dvd…this is just young guns dvd, and doesnt say dual layer…copies just fine, it’s when I go to burn…any help?

Kodiak-[/QUOTE]

Hi Kodiak
when you open DVDFab make sure DVD5 is selected at the bottom in the drop down window next to the word “Qaulity” if DVD9 is selected then it will give you that message:)

Evening Troy must have been typing when you posted I must be getting slow in my old age :eek:

Thanks for the quick reply…using the same 4.7g disks I,ve been using for months…says its writing dvd5, quality 58%…nothing seems different when I write the dvd…doesnt say dual layer or anything, but when I try to burn, then it says dual layer media needed…

[QUOTE=kodiaknamaste;1921009]Thanks for the quick reply…using the same 4.7g disks I,ve been using for months…says its writing dvd5, quality 58%…nothing seems different when I write the dvd…doesnt say dual layer or anything, but when I try to burn, then it says dual layer media needed…[/QUOTE]

Srry for the laps in time had a few trickster’s :smiley:
what are you using for the burn engine Nero or VSO :confused:

Uuuh…dvdfab platinum, on my xp machine…hey, does/should it say on the disk dual layer, cause it doesnt,just the wide screen, special edition of young guns…

Not using nero…burning straight through dvdfab

And this forum is too cool…very nice when someone needs a little help, like a wanna be like me…

[QUOTE=kodiaknamaste;1921024]Uuuh…dvdfab platinum, on my xp machine…hey, does/should it say on the disk dual layer, cause it doesnt,just the wide screen, special edition of young guns…

Not using nero…burning straight through dvdfab

And this forum is too cool…very nice when someone needs a little help, like a wanna be like me…[/QUOTE]

if the original disc is compressed 58%to fit to a dvd5, then young guns is a dual layer disc. look at the back cover on the bottom, usually there is info like region code, dont copy or we will sue you and dual layer dvd.

delete all previous young guns copy files, insert the young guns dvd, open dvdfab, select your dvd writer as destination, select main movie on the left, select dvd5 at the bottom, click start, insert blank dvd when prompted, wait for burn to finish.

let us know results. thanks troy

ehhh…I guess I farted around with the settings…I saw that the program was copying to the blank dvd’s at 4300mb’s, and I’m using 4700mb blank disks, so I bumped up that max # to 4600mb…it must have not liked what I did anyway…set back to defaults, and all is well…

Thanks you guys…this is a sweet forum, I’ll have more questions I sure related to my main machine, as I’m upgrading mem, and maybe processor…

Kodiak-

[QUOTE=kodiaknamaste;1921058]ehhh…I guess I farted around with the settings…I saw that the program was copying to the blank dvd’s at 4300mb’s, and I’m using 4700mb blank disks, so I bumped up that max # to 4600mb…it must have not liked what I did anyway…set back to defaults, and all is well…

Thanks you guys…this is a sweet forum, I’ll have more questions I sure related to my main machine, as I’m upgrading mem, and maybe processor…

Kodiak-[/QUOTE]

Kodiak you are welcome and by the way welcome to to CDFreaks:flower:
also you may want to change the 4300 to 4464 you will have less compression on your backups :slight_smile: giving you a little better resaults on the out put qaulity:cool:

[QUOTE=kodiaknamaste;1921058]ehhh…I guess I farted around with the settings…I saw that the program was copying to the blank dvd’s at 4300mb’s, and I’m using 4700mb blank disks, so I bumped up that max # to 4600mb…it must have not liked what I did anyway…set back to defaults, and all is well…

Kodiak-[/QUOTE]

One of the problems here is that two different methods or scales of measurement are being used, ie., decimal and binary.

Media manufacturers rate their blank discs in [B]decimal (base 10) [/B]or[B] 4.7 GB [/B]for an SL disc.

Unfortunately, your pc measures capacity in [B]binary (base 2) [/B]or[B] 4.38 GB[/B] for the same disc!

So in reality, your 4.7 GB disc really only holds 4.38 GB (rounded off) as far as your pc is concerned.
The default setting in Fab is 4300 mB.
With solid quality media, most of us safely push up around 4460 as SJ said.
You don’t want to burn too close to the edge, even with good media.
Doing so will predispose burn errors. This is much more risky with marginal or crappy discs.

Hope this helps.

I’ll definitely be here more often, thanks for the explanation, it’s really nice to get info I can use and share…which seems to be taboo in some forums…like telling you what to do, but not why…

One of my credo’s is…if I ain’t learning something every day, I ain’t having fun…

Kodiak-
http://charlieschaincraft.com/