DVD2One forum...where is it?

As stated above, I cant see the DVD2One forum here anymore!?

Hmm… a good question, I have absolutely no idea. Will check with Admin.

Erwin and Rene decided that our forum was no longer good enough for them. We have been hosting their forum for over half a year which was our pleasure and suddenly they have let us know that they did no longer want to use our ‘service’. We did not get any warning in advance, and they also took the opportunity to ask Peter McCall - one of our moderators - to help them moderating our forums. Again didn’t they discuss this with us, and altough Peter is of course free to do what ever he likes and we certainly do not feel he has done anything wrong, we feel that the DVD2One Team should at least have notified us that they asked him and ask us if we would mind.

In the world of internet and outside it is not very polite to ask people to work for you without any conversation in advance with the people he is currently working for. We feel this is a breach of nettiquette and common sence.

Altough the reasons given by DVD2One why they do no longer want to use our forums are valid, they could be easily solved (e.g. removing advertisements of competitors would be no problem for us) and a simple e-mail would have easily solved it. The main thing for us is the way they have treated us. After all these months, the only thing we ever received from them was a serial that could be used by several of our mods, and a simple thank you.

We have also asked them to at least link our forum as a secondary forum, because ours still contains a huge volume of questions and answers about their software, also on this we still did not get an answer, so we have decided to disable their forum for the obvious reasons.

We are sorry for the inconvinience and we will consider any proper proposition from DVD2One to re-open it again. This is actually the first time we have been ‘used’ by a company like this and we feel we need to take some actions to make sure companies understand we want a benefitial relationship for them, us and our visitors, and not only for them.

Sounds like they are sulking over competition from CloneDVD to me?

Dominator,

I’am a bit disapointed in your aproach to this mather, as i explained in a mail i sended you about two weeks ago it was not the mather that we didn’t thought you wheren’t good enough for us!!!

We are extending our services to our paying customers, and the forum on our own website that was easier to build because we can easily contact our registration database!
That’s something that just can’t be done on a public forum like this.
(the new dvd2one forum can be viewed by everyone, but only paying customers can react and post new threads)

I refuse to say that we misused you, and your forum!
The benifit was good for both parties, you got a lot of new members over here, and we had a good forum for a half of year.

Rene

Originally posted by ReneB

(the new dvd2one forum can be viewed by everyone, but only paying customers can react and post new threads)…

So your saying that new potential customers that download the demo to try first, cant ask questions on your forum until they buy? That sounds like a backward step to me, not a forward one.

i was expecting a answer like this :slight_smile:

And i’am not going to explain our bussiness model here, but we had our reasons of taking a step like this.

This will be my last answer in this thread, cause i have the strong feeling this will only lead in to more and more mud-throwing from cdfreaks to us and vicaversa. And i don’t think that’s going to be nescarry.

You can contact me via email if you want to know more about the reasons why we decided what we decided.

Yours,

Rene

As said in our last e-mail to you, we were considering the best method to communicate your decision to our users and how we felt about it. For now we have decided to close the old DVD2One and explain to our users why when they were asking.

We can respect your businessmodel and wish you all the best, hence also my suggestion to link to our forum as a secondary forum. We could easily live with that and all old questions and answers would be publicly available to customers and non customers, you could pull away from answering questions on our board and give only paying customers the exclusivity of their questions being answered by you.

Last but not least, the communication towards us, where we were told out of the blue that you’d setup your own forum and no longer linked to us, while also transferring someone of our staff is - according to our standards - not done.

Also the amount of people that has been over here answering questions and helping out others have been left in the cold according to us and we felt that we had to take some kind of action to make clear that we do not agree with the current method of working out your decisions.

I hope this clarifies our decisions to you and our visitors and we are still open for any solution to re-open the DVD2One forum, suggestions for a solution are at the start of this posting

I would also like to mentions that this will not affect the way we will be reporting about DVD2One on our news site.

(the new dvd2one forum can be viewed by everyone, but only paying customers can react and post new threads)

Now I am relatively new to DVD burning and I am not a DVD2One user, not because I don’t like DVD2One (I never really gave it much of a try as I found CloneDVD did what I wanted) rather because I naturally progressed from owning CloneCD to CloneDVD, but let me just give you a none-registered opinion,

If I Download and try the software and find some kind of incompatibilty or I just don’t understand it (or even think of a fantastic way your software could be better) and cannot find a post that covers my problem / question, I would have to buy it before I can post a bug report or ask? I would suggest you at least make a part of your forum accessible to Trial Users at least for the trial period.

just my 2p nothing personal (I was joking about the sulking BTW) :smiley:

The reason DVD2one opened their own forum and removed the link to CDfreaks is very obvious.

CDfreak’s forum would quickly educate customers and potential customers on how lacking in features DVD2one is. It would also introduce DVDshrink to people, which is free and does the same and more.

There is also the ability to rule their own forum with an iron fist, deleting threads they don’t like at their whim and banning people. That was a problem here, they couldn’t ban people from posting threads.

Originally posted by DreDay
[B]The reason DVD2one opened their own forum and removed the link to CDfreaks is very obvious.

CDfreak’s forum would quickly educate customers and potential customers on how lacking in features DVD2one is. It would also introduce DVDshrink to people, which is free and does the same and more.

There is also the ability to rule their own forum with an iron fist, deleting threads they don’t like at their whim and banning people. That was a problem here, they couldn’t ban people from posting threads. [/B]

Some good points there. Anyone with two half decent eyes can clearly see that the results from DVD Shrink v3.0 are far superior to anything either CloneDVD or DVD2one can produce. Also with the excellent editing options Shrink offers it leaves the user in total control, something the others cannot compete with. It is also still VERY simple to use and best of all it’s FREE.

You tend to find that ANY software company will not like competition of this type.

I wonder why? :bigsmile:

Lazza:

You seem so certain:)

I’m sitting here with LOTR - Two Towers - trying to make up my mind. I’m using DVD2One, IC, CloneDVD and Shrink 3b5.
The opening sequence, where the camera pans down the crest of the mountain range, has artefacts in the sky. It looks rather like faint posterisation; even the original has it although to a much lesser degree.

The trouble is I’ve been sitting here a long time. And the reason for that is that I can’t make up my mind which of the four versions to burn and keep. There’s nothing wrong with my eyes or my equipment (beg pardon!), but just when I think I’ve isolated the ‘best’ one, I play another one more time and I’m not so sure…:confused:

I just wish I had your confidence, because to me there’s not a whole lot of difference (and, yes, I did use ‘deep thought’ on Shrink).

-Pete

Hey Pete, I know there’s nothing wrong with your eyes and would never even consider implying such, honest! :bigsmile:

LOTR TT is a very, very tricky one as you have just indicated. My comments were really directed at the “fast brigade” of transcoding software though DVD Shrink can certainly compete with Instant Copy right now even on many longer films IMHO.

I’d done the above film with IC 7, IC 8, DVD2one & DVD Shrink 3.0 Beta 5 and for me (well my eyes anyways. lol) IC 7 using ICHSE produced the best copy, yep IMHO it was better than IC 8, DVD Shrink followed by (for me) a distant DVD2one. Burned them all to DVDRW and played back on both PC and a Limit 9900SE DVD player with prog scan.

I’m sure we all agree it’s “horses for courses” with encode/transcode software and for a 2 hr 52 min film then Instant copy is usually the way to go unless you go the DVD2SVCD - CCE route of course. However for most films 2 hrs ish IMHO there is no competitor to DVD Shrink purely on editing options alone, being able to delete so much even on a “full disc” copy is a massive plus as is being able to cut out end credits - start logos etc if so desired. So many, many “movie only” films being copied are using “zero” compression or keeping 90% + quality of the original film so the end picture is bound to be very, very good. That’s really what my comments were based upon.

And of course as I already stated - It’s FREE too, what can possibly compete with a package like that ALL things considered? :wink:

Good day,

I like dvd2one.

But i also know the fierce discussions going on about it (about no support/updates)…now this happens…a bit strange isn’t it.

Very sad…

But if many people keep using the tool, it still will be discussed here…in some way.

Lazza:

Ah now that is interesting.

I’m intrigued by the implication that IC8 isn’t as good as IC7.

I presume you used both in the slow mode, not the high speed mode, apparently available in IC8? (I haven’t got my hands on IC8 yet, so I don’t have much to go on).

I do agree with you about Shrink though. That program improves by leaps and bounds at every release. And I still can’t get my head round why it’s free - something not quite right in my dark, commercial soul…
Whatever, if I were a transcoder author, who charged for my work, I’d be deeply worried by it, and with good cause, I suspect.

-Pete

Originally posted by Peter McCall
[B]…I’m intrigued by the implication that IC8 isn’t as good as IC7.

I presume you used both in the slow mode, not the high speed mode, apparently available in IC8? (I haven’t got my hands on IC8 yet, so I don’t have much to go on)…

-Pete [/B]

I’m not saying IC 7 is better than IC 8, just on that particular film I though it produced better results and indeed on a couple of other series discs I’ve tried. :wink: It is a lot quicker for me than IC 7 and has far more options, once all the bugs are ironed out and ICHSE is compat with it I think it will be a great piece of kit. Size issue is worse than ever though! :Z

I’ve only tried the “high speed” encoding out on a few discs and the results for me were neither that fast or good. I processed an NYPD Blue S1 DVD on fast and it was awful , DVD2one, Shrink, CloneDVD etc, etc are all better than this option from what I’ve seen so far. But of course that does not mean it won’t improve with updates…

Originally posted by DreDay
[B]The reason DVD2one opened their own forum and removed the link to CDfreaks is very obvious.

There is also the ability to rule their own forum with an iron fist, deleting threads they don’t like at their whim and banning people. That was a problem here, they couldn’t ban people from posting threads. [/B]

I purchased DVD2One, and am very happy with it; it does everything I need it to do. That said, I’m very disappointed in the way Erwin, Rene, and their peers have handled the whole support situation with DVD2One. As others have pointed out, they have a very strong control-freak mentality, and (from my perspective) cannot stand to listen to any criticism of their product or its handling (“How dare you question us?! It’s all perfect!” is the attitude I’ve constantly sensed). Putting all support under the umbrella of a members-only forum falls right in line with this Orwellian attitude, and doesn’t surprise me one bit. Neither does it surprise me that they’d just pull up stakes and go off to play in their own sandbox without so much as a by-your-leave or a thank you. To be perfectly honest, I’d have gone with a different program if I’d have known in advance how they treat customers (paying and potential) and associates.

Hello to all,

Hope it’s ok if I look let’s say 2-3 years in the future.
First of all look at this article on the main CDFreaks web site.
Quote:

The last few days we reported several news items related to the IFA consumer electronics conference held in Berlin, Germany. Today we can read on the German Heise Online that JVC, Samsung and Sony all used the conference to reveal their Blu-Ray recorders.

As most of our readers will know Blu-Ray uses a blue-violet laser (hence the name) which has a much shorter wavelength when compared to today’s optical storage media working with a red laser. Because of the shorter wavelenth the capacity of a Blu-Ray disc is around 25 GigaByte, more than five times as much as a recordable DVD

So in the future (if Stand Alone compatible) it will not be necessary to compress/transcode a movie to fit on 4.7 GB media.
Then I will be looking for a piece of software that can put 3 movie only rips on one Blue Ray disc with a nice selection menu.
That is offcouse if all 3 movie only rips are below 8 GB :slight_smile:
But even when that is still 2-3 years away (maybe even a bit more) hardware (processor/ chipsets etc) will also become faster.
So to me the speed of the compression-/transcode engine will not be a issue any more, but more the quality of the engine.
As I read thru all the post, people trying to get the best quality out of a rip (see the postst on the Variable/Constant bit-rate of DVD2One) and more control of what they rip.
The speed advantage (if it’s still there) of DVD2One won’t be it’s strongest point anymore, but more the quiality of the rip and the control the users have of the rip.
Just take a look at the development of DVDShrink.
It’s free, and still improved a lot and in time I think even the compresssion/transcode will be equal (if not better) in comparison to other software, but it’s still for free.
To wrap it up, new hardware like blue ray and faster processors will catch up, and not the speed will be a issue anymore but the quality of the engine and the controll the users have over the rip.
Give everyone my best regards,

Lenco

do you not think the bitrate of Original DVD’s will also go up filling the full 27Gb with one movie?

and will the DVD backup tool wars not all happen again when they implement the dual layer DVD’s of 54Gb but we only have 27Gb blank DVD’s to work with

it just means we will have original DVD’s with average bitrates of something like 25MB/s giving near perfect pixel for pixel pictures and backups will have something like 12MB/s :smiley:

and I bet we will still have the quality flame wars :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t think speed is an issue now as most apps only require the user to be at the PC for a few minutes so I disregard how long it takes to process now

DVDDecrypter = 5 seconds for it to load DVD and click GO
Processing tool = 2-5 minutes setting up
Nero = 5 seconds to drag n drop files in preset file

the actual processing can be anything from 10 mins upwards depending on your choice of tool and you don’t even need to use separate ripping/burning tools but some people must be chained to their PC’s and are forced to sit there watching the progress bar :stuck_out_tongue:

if you go back to last year, even further if you want then maybe speed was a big issue then but now it isn’t. It just means I’ve got more time to post meaningless waffle like this :bigsmile:

Originally posted by Peter McCall
[B]Lazza:

You seem so certain:)

I’m sitting here with LOTR - Two Towers - trying to make up my mind. I’m using DVD2One, IC, CloneDVD and Shrink 3b5.
The opening sequence, where the camera pans down the crest of the mountain range, has artefacts in the sky. It looks rather like faint posterisation; even the original has it although to a much lesser degree.

The trouble is I’ve been sitting here a long time. And the reason for that is that I can’t make up my mind which of the four versions to burn and keep. There’s nothing wrong with my eyes or my equipment (beg pardon!), but just when I think I’ve isolated the ‘best’ one, I play another one more time and I’m not so sure…:confused:

I just wish I had your confidence, because to me there’s not a whole lot of difference (and, yes, I did use ‘deep thought’ on Shrink).

-Pete [/B]

To make things even more interesting, why don’t you make another version with CCE (via DVD2DVD-R or DVD2SVCD) and try to decide on which one to keep? :stuck_out_tongue:
That would make the set complete (Full House).