Dvd2one file size

vbimport

hi. i’m new to this forum. i searched for an answer to the following question but didn’t find one. so here it is. i purchased dvd2one yesterday and have backed up two dvds, austin powers 1 & 3. my question/concern/problem is the resulting vobs only total 2.8 gigs and 3.0 gigs. i’ve used ifoedit in the past to backup dvds and have never had the resulting vobs so small. is dvd2one compressing this or what? i have the size set to 4472mb. my understanding of the program was that it would only compress if the resulting vobs would total over 4.36 gigs in which case it would compress them to exactly that size. i want my backups to be exact copies (quality wise) as the original. i’d rather split a dvd than sacrifice quality. any answer anyone has is appreciated. thanks for your time.

j

ps - i am doing a movie only backup with only 1 audio track and no subtitles.

What are the size of these before Dvd2one processes them ?

i am an idiot. i looked at the original size of the movie and both are under 4gb to start with. sorry for the the stupid question. i’ll remove this post if i can figure out how to.

sorry

Dont worry m8, we’ve all done that at some time.

At least you’re an honest idiot :bigsmile:

If you don’t wish for dvd2one to transcode (not touch the video) you could use the free program dvdtoolbox and see when you only rip main movie, certain audio and subtitles streams what the end file size would be. Here’s my DVDToolBox Guide

thanks mrbass. cool guide/utility. will come in very handy.

thanks again

So, are you saying that even if the DVD is small enough to fit on a single DVD-R without reducing (transcoding) it, DVD2ONE will still transcode it…?

i thought it was just copying the files, removing the sound files not selected ?

Originally posted by deaves
[B]So, are you saying that even if the DVD is small enough to fit on a single DVD-R without reducing (transcoding) it, DVD2ONE will still transcode it…?

i thought it was just copying the files, removing the sound files not selected ? [/B]

Indeed it does it will not transcode if there’s no to transcode.

If your move including audio after striping the unwanted audio’s is under the desired outputsize DVD2one will rebuild your disc without transcoding just like IfoEdit would do that!

It’d be great if dvd2one would give us the file size for main movie and each audio and grand total like dvdtoolbox. This way we could gauge whether or not we’d like it to transcode or not?

Also if we could see a percentage of the main movie that needs to be reduced (transcoded) so we would have some idea of the movie quality output. Just a thought. For now I’ll use DVDToolBox so I’ll know which options to tick if DVDToolBox can’t get it below 4.37GB then at least I’ll know how far dvd2one needs to lower the movie.

Example:
Movie only, all subs, and just AC-36CH (checked with dvdtoolbox)
Road to Perdition is 4.81GB - 4.36GB = .45GB or 450MB
use dvd2one for this one
Gladiator is 6.22GB - 4.36GB = 1.86GB
will use IC7 for this one

also just did Spiderman NTSC R1 and it barely made it with DVDToolBox. Only could select AC-3 6CH with only the one English Subtitle and it reported 4.37GB. It came out to 4.33GB though. 8 mins is quick though.