DVD2One and Pulsating

vbimport

Any plans to improve the transcoding process to remove the (quite eye-tiring) pulsating effect that was mentioned many times elsewhere?

Maybe something like a 2-pass transcoding, similar to IC7, where the effect doesn’t occur?!

Doctorow:

Do you hear that whistling noise? It’s the sound of Rene’s axe descending on your neck!:wink:

Seriously, this has been asked so many times now… But, just for you:

1. New technology is in the pipeline. Don’t ask when.
  2. Don’t compare IC with DVD2One; the techniques are different.

-Pete

Hehe, am i that agressive :wink:

No seriously, observ your original disc and you’ll will see that pulsating effect there to.

I did a lot of research in that field and the pulsating is there in the originals to, BUT due the nature of the currect engine that effect is over-exactuarated(sp?).

Dual pass, well sort of multipass encoding is a feature we have in mind for the 1.2 version of the engine. But not as you would expect it.
(afterall, our secret is that we never do things the standard way :P)

/edit : szpellingmistakez.

Originally posted by ReneB
Hehe, am i that agressive :wink:

Not half! :bigsmile:

-P

Thanks for your answers :slight_smile: And not as aggressive as I expected - my head is still on :slight_smile:

Greets

Originally posted by ReneB
[B]Hehe, am i that agressive :wink:

Dual pass, well sort of multipass encoding is a feature we have in mind for the 1.2 version of the engine. But not as you would expect it.
(afterall, our secret is that we never do things the standard way :P)

/edit : szpellingmistakez. [/B]

I am intrigued now :smiley:

I’ve tried many many discs and no matter what anyone says, you can get better results with DVD2ONE then IC 7. The only TWO exceptions I’ve seen is the superbit of “The Mask of Zorro” and “Grease”. The MOZ make sense since it was a superbit title. I still can’t figure why Grease was a special case? Maybe because the original was so grainy? Who knows.

Discs with lots of extras I use DVD2ONE with a manual 2 pass (as discussed elsewhere in this forum) to achieve great results on the main movie.

Here’s my speculation on what Rene means by “2 pass” with DVD2ONE 1.2: 1.1.x currently throws away an equal amount of data for the entire movie. That’s why it’s so good at hitting the 4472 mark so consistantly. The problem is that certain scenes need less compression and others can be compressed more. (Try changing the DVD size to 1000 and watch the results.) I suspect the new algorithm will identify the “trouble” spots and compensate accordingly. Identifying the trouble spots could be done in the first pass, but you need two passes to calculate how agressive you need to be to fit everything onto a 4.7 GB disc.

Can you give a link for discussion of manual 2 pass with DVD2ONE?

It’s two way

1. you will all disc with extras but max quality on movie (cheap quality on extras)

2. you will movie and menus but NO Extras

3. first check full disk copy on DTO (X) with size at 1500 and run
    then, replace the movie (VTS_0x.01-02-03…) with the original ripped
    and re-pass full disk in DTO (X) at 4472.

With that you “scrach” the size of extras and keep place for quality movie
:slight_smile:

1. First we Compress and after we delete the bonus features.

A) for determinate the total of megs for DTO(X)

1. Rip with your favorite ripper

2. Open the folder Video_ts

3. Calculate the total Gigas of the Movie & Menu only (Normally all VTS_01.VOB)and VIDEO_TS.VOB

4. Calculate the total Gigas of the Rest (all bonus, extras…)
    Exemple:
    - Total of disc = 7 gigas
    - Movie + Menu = 5 gigas
    - Bonus = 2 gigas

5. you must have at final a VIDEO_TS folder of 4472 megs(4.36 Giga / DVD size) with menu and Movie. Here is the calcul.

6. The initial 5 gigas must be 4.36 after DTO(X )
    87% is the proportion
    87% of 7 giga (Total of disc) is 6.09 giga
    For security it’s better to increase a little this at 6 giga
    convert in Megs (6*1024) 6144 megs

B) Open DTOX make “Full Disk” and user rate at 6144
Chose language and Start.
(Note: for 2 hours of DTS sound you must count about 1GB and 400 MB for 5.1 Dolby D)

After that open the final VIDEO_TS and delete the Bonus/extra .VOB files
(NOT .IFO-.BUP)

Get info for VIDEO_TS folder and Normally you have a folder less than
 4.36 GB you can burn with Toast.

Last but not least, it’s work fine : you have all menu but if you try to access bonus/extras the menu block and you must press the “Menu Touch” of remote to come back.

Sorry for my english and i hope i help you or someone else.

Olivier
Mac Maniac

Holy crap! That was some “wild” English.

Here it is in a nutshell:

1. Compress the whole movie (Full Disk) using an exteremely small target size: 1000.

2. Copy all the VOB files, IFO and BUP file for the one that contains the main movie and overwrite the ones created by DVD2ONE.

3. Start IFOEDIT and load any of the .IFO files. Click “Get VTS Sectors” and it will automataclly fix the IFO files.

4. Compress the result again using DVD2ONE. You may need to undershoot the size to something a little under 4472 to get it to fit on a DVD-R (i.e., 4430).

By doing this, you are compressing the hell out of the extras while compressing the main movie less. Being able to use different compression rates (ratios) based on PGC is a feature sorely lacking from DVD2ONE currently. This si the closest workaround possible right now.

…but it has nothing to do with with what is meant by 2-pass encoding or transcoding. 2-passes means that in the first pass the media is analysed, and in the second pass the actual task (here: transcoding) is performed taking the analysis of the 1st pass into consideration.

What you guys mentioned is a way to achieve different compression results for the main menu and the extras.

I am surprised you don’t find the pulsating effect irritating - I see it quite regularly (and I only rip movie-only usually); the thing is, if you don’t look for it, you don’t necessarily see it. Which is OK. But it is definitely eye-tiring, which is not OK.

German magazine C’t wrote a very comprehensive review of today’ transcoders, including DVD2One. They have an explanation for the very annoying pulsating effect that is only prevelant in DVD2One but not in the other transcoders.

Rough Translation: “Especially DVD2One has problems with controlling the quantisation - literally every second the JND jumps from 2 to zero, which could explain the pulsating effect of copied DVDs. DVD95Copy (and its clone DVDXCopy) has a similar, yet less jumpy behavior. It jumps every 30 seconds between requantizised and original picture material.”

Of all the transcoders, DVD2One received the lowest marks for picturequality due to this pulsating effect.

Originally posted by NYCT
I’ve tried many many discs and no matter what anyone says, you can get better results with DVD2ONE then IC 7. The only TWO exceptions I’ve seen is the superbit of “The Mask of Zorro” and “Grease”. The MOZ make sense since it was a superbit title. I still can’t figure why Grease was a special case? Maybe because the original was so grainy? Who knows.
:confused:

Well yes we know about that pulsating part, and i can asure you that the 1.2 engine will contain some fixes for that.

Unfortunaly does magizine’s are sometime quiet slowly at picking up newer versions of software so we simply have to learn to live with the fact it got a lesser score in the german CT mag.

But knowing them they are going to have a new feature on that same manner in one of the newer issues so i’am pretty sure they will notice the quality improvement.
(we noticed it, and that while the new 1.2 wasn’t completely ready :slight_smile: )

Moral of this story : I type to much… (and you’re patience will be rewarded with this new engine :wink: )