DVD2 format

vbimport

Anyone know anything about this? Supposedly is playable on regular DVD players. Toshiba, MS, and Panasonic started a working commitee on DVD2 format, recreating HD-DVD experience on DVD.

I think they’re nuts! After failed with HD DVD, they’re trying DVD 2.0 with HDi features? People will have to buy new DVD 2.0 players. Studios will need to pay more the HDi features. They’re trying to make money but forgot that blu and hd adoption is already hard enough…

Given the current prices on BD players and discs, the door is wide open for a new format to come in at lower prices. Using existing technology, as HD-DVD does, is a logical step.

The big question is whether anyone has the cajones and the cash to take on the Sony/Panasonic monopoly, and the studios who are demanding BD profit margins. Profits on a DVD movie are much lower than on a BD disc, so the battle is in getting the studios behind a format. So, any new format will need to offer improved profit margins over DVD.

I think that in a year’s time, if BD is still languishing WAY behind DVD in sales, we’ll see a shift towards a new format, but it won’t surprise me if it’s NOT an optical format.

Why would studios promote DVD 2.0 when they are promoting blu-ray now? If they do that, blu-ray ain’t go anywhere, which is not what they (studios) wanted…

this DVD 2.0 somekind of super upconvert 960p?

[QUOTE=bourned;2018577]Why would studios promote DVD 2.0 when they are promoting blu-ray now? If they do that, blu-ray ain’t go anywhere, which is not what they (studios) wanted…
[/QUOTE]

As I just said, it would have to offer a good profit margin and the prospect of lots of sales. Nobody says no to profit. But it also has to offer consumers a low price and widespread availability of titles, which BD is thus far failing to do.

BD could easily fail regardless of competing formats. It will certainly die eventually in any case, it’s just a matter of when.