Dvd X Copy Express Wont Finalize

Hi Just Wondering If Anyone Knows Why My Dvd X Copy Will Read Movie And Write Movie All The Way To The End But Wont Finalize? It Just Wont Finalize The Movie And My Dvd Drive Freezes And I Have To Re-boot To Get The Blank Disc Out, This Is The First Time This Has Happened, Anyone Know How To Fix It??? Thanks

pnkraff,
Poorly manufactured media fails most often at the outer edges which is where the burning ends. What brand and type of media are you using?

Whisperer

HI, i was just putting 2 and 2 together, im wondering , i read the specs on my dvd burner it is a pioneer dvr-106d ive been using 4x-8x dvd+r but my father in law got me verbatim 16x do you think the 16x is to fast and thats why it wont finalize? thanks for the help post if you think that might be the problem

pnkraff,
Your 106d is oldish but a good, reliable burner. It is the first model that Pioneer supported +R with. Pioneers of old like -R best of all and you could try Sony AccuCore -R (1x-8x) which are available on many storeshelves. My 105d and 106d are extreemly compatible with the Sony -Rs. You don’t have to throw away your +R media if they work ok but your drive won’t booktype anyway, so you might as well buy -R in the future.

With the 106d:

Burn 4X rated media at a speed of 2X.
Burn 8X rated media at a speed of 2X - 4X. (probably 4x is OK)
Burn 16X rated media at a speed of 4X.

But the 8X Sonys I mentioned above are a better choice than 16X media for price, and the fact that your drive’s firmware updates ended at least a year and a half ago and the 106d may have compatibility troubles with newer media’s manufacturing specs. The problem may be less the fact that the Verbs are 16X and more the fact that drive firmware has to be updated to recognize new media specs as the new disks become available out on the market.

Whenever you decide you might want to upgrade your burner to a more modern model, remember that Pioneer stopped supporting your model after not such a long while! Providing firmware updates is not a major engineering effort nor does it have a very cost conserving benefit for a big company like Pioneer. If they want manipulate you to spend your dollars to upgrade the entire drive in order to stay current with new media, why buy theirs again just to be treated the same.

Best regards,
Whisperer

Hi i appreciate all the help do you still think that the 16x verbs could be the problem considering i checked all my dvd+r and there mostly 8x maxell i just thought that maybe the 16x was the problem so i went and got 8x maxells and im trying them as we speak il keep you posted

thanks Kevin

hey i tried the maxell 8x all is well now it must have been the 16x wouldnt work thanks for everythhing

So I hate to be the voice of reason here, but… why on GOD’S GREEN EARTH are you still using any software with “DVD X Copy” in the title?

why not germ? it works great easy to use lol still works fine there isnt any easier software out there and you know it… why what do you use?

It’s Gurm. With a ‘u’. And I’ll tell you why not.

it works great

No it doesn’t. It never did. Stop kidding yourself. :wink:

easy to use lol

So are a dozen other programs.

still works fine

Again, it never did work, so it can’t “still” work fine. It’s garbageware.

there isnt any easier software out there and you know it…

Really? If I knew it then why would I be bashing? EVERY other program is easier. DVD2One is about as easy as it gets - there are almost no buttons because the authors hate their customers. DVD Shrink is easier as well. Everything is easier.

why what do you use?

Shrink for transcoding, Rebuilder w/CCE for re-encoding. Now THAT isn’t particularly easy to use.

Gurm, you are always going out of you way to express your hatred of DXC. 321 must have done something really bad to you to account for you expending such intense animosity anytime anyone even mentions Dvd X Copy.

Leave the guy alone. He likes simple. It works for him. The final, original version of DXC v.1.5.2 was a fine product and it works for me still with AnyDVD. CloneDVD is my wife but 1.5.2 is still my lover for split disk backups. It still works for hundreds of thousands of people around the world. Maybe not you. Sorry for your experience. And sorry for my outspokenness because I really do respect the good advice you often give to problem situations and your desire to help cdf members.

Best regards
Whisperer

Look, if you want to keep using it KNOWING that it’s an outdated program that was bad for your machine from the getgo - and make no mistake the horrifying software that 321 engineered DID do bad things to people’s machines - then that’s fine.

But my problem comes when people come in and go “hey my DVD X Copy doesn’t work, how do I make it work” and the answer is you CAN’T make it work because it’s a terrible program that hasn’t been updated in 3 years because the company was sued out of existence.

There are better, easier, more effective FREE programs available to do everything you want EXCEPT the “split the movie right down the middle” which is, I confess, easiest on DVD X Copy since it ONLY does that. :wink:

That’s my issue. It was never good software. So the answer when someone says “how do I fix it” is “uninstall it and install DVD Shrink instead”.

Gurm,
But you just make sweeping statements that are based on your individual experience with your individual backup rig. And without any supporting data. You just say it’s bad for your machine, which it obviously was for your machine because you probably had a lot of software conflicts that others didn’t or don’t experience. It worked then and is still working for many people. Mine is on a dedicated, standalone, no-web connection, Win2000, SP3 box along with only CloneDVD, AnyDVD and Power Player. Works with even the tough protections which AnyDVD fixes. You said

… But my problem comes when people come in and go “hey my DVD X Copy doesn’t work, how do I make it work” and the answer is you CAN’T make it work because it’s a terrible program that hasn’t been updated in 3 years …
pnkraff’s problem was the media he changed to. I think he’d be better off using the Sony 1-8X -R’s but he’s up and running now.

I’m sure you hate it when people say shrink isn’t updated anymore and is now defunct. You love that product!

And you don’t even ask what DXC the posters are using, just a blanket statement that DXC is bad. There was:

DVD-X-Copy: Original version (ended development at v.1.5.2: very stable to this day for splitting backups)

DVD-X-Copy Express: (a completely different program that had the DXC’s name/label attached to it only for company recognition reasons: performance less than adequate compared to CloneDVD or Shrink for single disk compression backups)

DVD-X-Copy Gold: (a 321 bundle of the final original DXC 1.5.2 and Express. The Gold sold today by the inheritor company is different package)

DVD-X-Copy Platinum: (totally sucked from start to finish. My opinion only, not a universal truth. Again, it had the DXC’s label attached to it only for company recognition reasons)

I would not buy the present product from the present company that inherited the DXC product line after 321 went out of business.

What version gave you so much trouble to elicit so much product animosity from you?

And 321 Studios was not “sued out of existence” by consumers or a class action or anything like that. DXC had a very loyal following. 321 chose to counter-sue the MPAA’s Cease and Desist suit in US courts (b*llsy but stupid). The MPAA won the case on the grounds that 321 decrypted movies (first big court case to challenge the provisions of the damn Digital Millenium Act). And 321 was based in the US so they were sue-able.

Best regards,
Whisperer

PS: we have been in agreement or even allies on may threads but I just don’t agree with your blaket statements about all DXC products. It’s like religious missionaries that preach that there is only one true belief and all others are wrong.

Gotta go to work now, I’ll check in later.

Supporting data? Do a quick search on here. Virtually all software from 321 Studios is universally despised. Why would I need “supporting data” when we’re in a forum filled with detractors of DVD X Copy?

You just say it’s bad for your machine, which it obviously was for your machine because you probably had a lot of software conflicts that others didn’t or don’t experience.

No, actually I NEVER INSTALLED IT. My next-door neighbor did, and it was hit-or-miss. It didn’t kill his system, but it was pretty much a coin toss whether it would cleanly break the movie or just screw things up. There were also numerous bugs such as aspect ratio glitches, etc.

When I say it’s “bad for your machine” I mean it in the same way that packet writing software is “bad for your machine” or super-intrusive firewall software with lousy system-level drivers is “bad for your achine” or “memory compression” software is “bad for your machine”. It’s commonly-held knowledge that the software product is/was retrograde!

It worked then and is still working for many people.

So did/does DOS. So did/does Win95. And Windows ME, the horrific abortion that it is. Doesn’t mean we LIKE those pieces of software. Doesn’t mean they’re GOOD SOFTWARE. People installed Microsoft BOB, for cryin’ out loud. I’m sure that somewhere you can find someone that liked it and still uses it. Doesn’t mean we ought to encourage that. There’s lots of software out there that eats your machine that people still use.

How about more recent? People still use Disk Keeper, even though it is KNOWN to munch your hard drive’s File Allocation Tables! People used McAfee 7.x products, even though they CORRUPTED SYSTEM FILES. People use lots of software despite the danger, usually because they don’t KNOW that it’s bad software. Doesn’t mean that we, the supposedly more enlightened ones, should advise them to install that software does it?

Mine is on a dedicated, standalone, no-web connection, Win2000, SP3 box along with only CloneDVD, AnyDVD and Power Player.

Good for you. I’m glad you have it working. Again, the fact that you’re happy with it doesn’t add it to a “recommended software” list.

Works with even the tough protections which AnyDVD fixes.

That’s nice. So does everything else. :slight_smile:

pnkraff’s problem was the media he changed to. I think he’d be better off using the Sony 1-8X -R’s but he’s up and running now.

Ok fair enough.

I’m sure you hate it when people say shrink isn’t updated anymore and is now defunct. You love that product!

A well written piece of software that works “as advertised”, never had any showstopping bugs, and doesn’t install retrograde drivers onto people’s machines? Sure, I like it. If, however, it started conflicting with newer software, or had some major problem, I’d stop recommending it. Oh, and it’s FREE. DVD X Copy, last time I checked, was PRICEY. Like $50 pricey. Kind of a lot for software that has a chance (even if it’s a small one) to muck up your system.

And you don’t even ask what DXC the posters are using, just a blanket statement that DXC is bad.

Yes, it is bad. All versions.

There was:

DVD-X-Copy: Original version (ended development at v.1.5.2: very stable to this day for splitting backups)

See, again I don’t think we’re talking about the same product! The original DVD X Copy installed drivers on your system. These drivers were ASTONISHINGLY poorly written, and have been reported to do ALL KINDS of bad things to a system.

Case in point - there was a guy in here a couple weeks ago who still had it on his system, but he couldn’t rip ANY DVD’s with ANY program. We advised him to uninstall DVD X Copy… and LO AND BEHOLD his machine worked properly again! Yes, there was a driver from 321 Studios that was interfering the with proper operation of his DVD drive. THAT is the sort of thing we’re trying to avoid here!

DVD-X-Copy Express: (a completely different program that had the DXC’s name/label attached to it only for company recognition reasons: performance less than adequate compared to CloneDVD or Shrink for single disk compression backups)

Yep, a transcoder intended to compete with DVD2One which was stealing a lot of 321’s business. Sadly, it was about the worst transcoder ever written.

DVD-X-Copy Gold: (a 321 bundle of the final original DXC 1.5.2 and Express. The Gold sold today by the inheritor company is different package)

Potentially dangerous product + admittedly inferior product = YEAH LET’S SPEND SOME MONEY ON THAT!

DVD-X-Copy Platinum: (totally sucked from start to finish. My opinion only, not a universal truth. Again, it had the DXC’s label attached to it only for company recognition reasons)

Again, had bad DLL’s. BAAAAAAD.

I would not buy the present product from the present company that inherited the DXC product line after 321 went out of business.

Ok, so far we’re seeing half a dozen products of which you only recommend ONE - which I pointed out has dangerous DLL’s/drivers. So what’s your problem when I mark the entire range as “retrograde”?

What version gave you so much trouble to elicit so much product animosity from you?

Again, I never actually used the product on my own machine, but the one I’m MOST familiar with is the original one in its final iteration.

And 321 Studios was not “sued out of existence” by consumers or a class action or anything like that. DXC had a very loyal following. 321 chose to counter-sue the MPAA’s Cease and Desist suit in US courts (b*llsy but stupid). The MPAA won the case on the grounds that 321 decrypted movies (first big court case to challenge the provisions of the damn Digital Millenium Act). And 321 was based in the US so they were sue-able.

Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. I said they were sued out of existence. It’s the truth. Doesn’t matter WHO sued them, they’re GONE now and their products are being maintained/updated/butchered further by a new set of “developers”… although by all reports these so-called “developers” are really just monkeys with a Visual Basic compiler.

PS: we have been in agreement or even allies on may threads but I just don’t agree with your blaket statements about all DXC products. It’s like religious missionaries that preach that there is only one true belief and all others are wrong.

No, I extrapolate from incident reports. If there had been HUNDREDS of people who had their system screwed up by DVD Shrink, I’d be all over THAT product as well. The reality, however, is that products which don’t install retrograde drivers onto people’s systems … don’t kill those systems.

Gurm,
Been busy with work … now, back to you dude. I notice your cdf Forum Status is now “User On Probation”. Why is that?

I love CloneDVD for very light compression on special features disks or concert DVD’s and for splitting a movie onto two disks to keep 100% quality. I also use CloneDVD for my recent dabbling in DL burning. But if, with certain originals, I encounter a problem with the layer break point, I find that DVD Decrypter or ImgBurn are, for the time being, better suited for this task. Until DL media comes down in price, I often use my trusty old unfailing workhorse DVD-X-Copy Original version 1.5.2 to split movies that I backup, and it works very well.

I don’t bloody like someone telling me or other members, that that is “BAAAAAAD”.

…universally despised…
(You polled the universe?)
…No, actually I NEVER INSTALLED IT. My next-door neighbor did…
(…your next door neighbor?! What the…)
…a coin toss whether it would cleanly break the movie…
(False. 1.5.2 breaks, without fail, at precisely the layer break transition of the original and gives me a cool little “Please Insert Disk 2” message. I then advance my 7-disk changer to the next disk.)
…same way that packet writing software…
(Deflection: This is not DXC 1.5.2)
…super-intrusive firewall software…
…"memory compression" software…
…It’s commonly-held knowledge that the software product is/was retrograde!…
(How would you know(?), your “neighbor” told you? You’re labeling as “proof” a few thousand postings of DXC 1.5.2 issues here and on AfterDawn vs. hundreds of thousands of units (or more) sold worldwide to users who had success. And how many of those with problems had poorly maintained, conflict ridden boxes in the first place.)
…So did/does DOS…
…So did/does Win95…
…Windows ME…
…Microsoft BOB…
…People still use Disk Keeper…
…People used McAfee 7.x products…
…People use lots of software despite the danger, usually because they don’t KNOW that it’s bad software
(So what? You, the self appointed “voice of reason” want to control these people because you KNOW there is only one great truth? There are enough gods already. Why don’t you just suggest instead of berating and belittling?)
…we, the supposedly more enlightened ones…
(“We” as in Royalty? Too godlike. We are supposed to be helping cdf members solve their problems in question, not shooting unsolicited and stifling opinions at them. pnkraff seems to be happy with his Express backups as are others on cdf you have jumped on when their problem was other than a DXC issue. And his idea of simple is probably to continue using what he is used to.

pnkraff’s opinion is:

…it works great easy to use lol still works fine there isnt any easier software out there and you know it…
You know that you got him right where you want him when he asks:
…why what do you use?
New member pnkraff is 5 posts old and you just Draw, Fire, Shoot, Hammer … Bang Bang!
You’re like a broken record expressing your DXC hatred anywhere it is mentioned. When pnkraff needs more capability, or when he wants to graduate to the “big time”, then we’ll help him choose good programs. Quell your desire for control)
…Good for you. I’m glad you have it working….
(Too condescending)

…Again, the fact that you’re happy with it doesn’t add it to a “recommended software” list…
(I didn’t recommend it, I just don’t chastise and hammer anyone who mentions DXC if it is working for them. I just helped pnkraff with his media problem.)
…That’s nice. So does everything else…
(Flip, arrogant and too condescending. It works for him. Why do you have to control what he uses?)
…Ok fair enough…
(You were not elected to sit in Judgment of what is fair and what is not.)
…Yes, it is bad. All versions…
(prejudiced, and unqualified, only your neigbor knows for sure, remember?
…half a dozen products…
(Three)
…you only recommend ONE…
(I’m not recommending 1.5.2 to him, he can keep using Express to his heart’s delight. Or shrink, or dycrypter or ImgBurn or bloody Roxio if he wants to and he can get it to work. I am advocating freedom of opinion without chastisement or intimidation from control freaks with higher post counts.)
…which I pointed out has dangerous DLL’s/drivers…
(Not 1.5.2. And I don’t hear pnkraff asking for help concerning his “dangerous” DLL’s or drivers)
…So what’s your problem…
(You arrogant snot!)
…when I mark the entire range as “retrograde”?…
(THEY are all alike and we should wipe them off the face of the earth.)
…Again, I never actually used the product on my own machine, but the one I’m MOST familiar with is the original one in its final iteration…
(Baloney, your “neighbor” knows remember? I’m the one familiar with 1.5.2. You never loaded it. You’re just the muscle in this, your chosen mission of megalomania.)
…Doesn’t matter WHO sued them, they’re GONE…
(you would have been happy to have everyone falsely perceive it was a consumer suit.)
…their products are being maintained/updated/butchered further by a new set of "developers…
(I already said the inheritors are not a good organization to buy from.)
No, I extrapolate from incident reports
(Baloney. How would you get a hold of 321’s incident reports?
…The reality, however…
(The reality is you never installed it. 1.5.2 works great when I don’t want to ex-$pend a DL disk. I like it. I use it. It’s real nice. I’m super happy with it. It’s cool. It’s neat. It’s groovy. I fancy it. It’s a delight. It’s enchanting. I relish it. It’s choice. It’s simple. It’s comme il faut. You want to tell me to stop using it(?) … you want to call me or anyone else on cdf a fool(?) … then “fill your hand Ned Pepper!”)

“despised, detractors, screw things up, horrific abortion, numerous bugs , showstopping bugs, glitches, etc, bad, super-intrusive, lousy, retrograde, for cryin’ out loud, eats your machine , KNOWN to munch, CORRUPTED, danger, bad, muck up, ASTONISHINGLY poorly written, LO AND BEHOLD, BAAAAAAD, “retrograde”, Po-tay-to, po-tah-to, monkeys, kill”

Smoke, fluff and puffery to justify and mask a controlling, hateful, prejudiced, domineering, personality. You have to have your way and you will brazen it out till your perceived “enemy” bends to your will. I have met you before in many incarnations. You argue for dominance; I argue for freedom from dominance. You’re a schoolyard bully and I’ll step in anytime you start haranguing a member with your force of will and try to ram unsolicited advice down someone’s throat by making them feel like a fool. For heavens sake, pnkraff had an older burner and a media compatibility problem! He’s fixed now and probably happy.

Whisperer

You know, I had this big long response I was working on and then I realized that it was just argumentative, so I’ll make it very short:

Whisperer, whether you like it or not, some programs are just badly written. Clearly you don’t believe this. Fine, nothing I say will convince you. I offer plenty of comparisons to other known-bad programs, and you just say “that’s not THIS program so it doesn’t matter”.

I’ve done a lot of troubleshooting. It’s how I make my living. And without fail when I find a machine which has DXC and also has burning problems, uninstalling DXC fixes it. Your argument that because I never installed it on MY machine, I therefore cannot POSSIBLY know anything about it… is rubbish. Plenty of people are professional mechanics who can fix anything there is to fix on a Porsche… and don’t own a Porsche!

In this case, the OP’s problem (before we hijacked his thread) was bad media. Good. Excellent!

In your post you have made some pretty harsh accusations against me, and resorted to childish namecalling. I just don’t have a response for that, it’s too far beneath all of us.

So, to sum up:

1. This user’s problem was bad media.

2. Plenty of OTHER users recently have seen great success by uninstalling DXC.

3. It’s possible that a program you use and love is fundamentally flawed and corrupts some people’s machines. You don’t believe this, but it’s true.

4. You are unjustly accusatory and mean to me.

Cope. I will continue, when appropriate, to recommend the removal of software from 321 Studios, because it is a solution that WORKS.

Alright, everyone simmer down before I lock this thread, and that goes for both of you. Any further replies should take less than 10 scrolls of my mouse to read through.

What’s the bet they use small text to get around the 10 mouse-scroll limit heh :wink:

Nah, I’m taking the high road. :wink: I’ll use

Really Big Text!

I never used a really big typeface on cdf … let’s see, what should I type(?) …
OK, I know …TRUCE … number 7 font size … looks nice, ya?

Best regards,
Whisperer